Q & A with 2011 NPC National Overall Champion IFBB Pro Todd Jewell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee19 View Post
    Hey Todd it's great to see your back fit and healthy again after your op!! Just a quick question for you
    I been bodybuilding for bout 3 years now but my arms are my lagging body part what excersises would you recommend to get growth and help build up my arms???
    Cheers bud ur gunna have a great year this yr!!!!
    I like standing dumbbell curls 1 arm at a time for overall mass on the biceps. The reason for one arm is so that you can spot yourself and force some reps out at the end. As for triceps I have had good results with close grip bench performed on a smith machine.
    www.facebook.com/Todd.theCrown.Jewell www.twitter.com/toddjewell

Comment

• Congrats for turning pro !!! I am tall like you (6'1) and i have some problems with my form at some exersices (squats,deadlifts,pullups).Your advice ??? Thanks a lot bro !!!

Comment

• I think those squats were perfect as a bodybuilder what is the point of going Ass to grass (ATG) if your trying to hit you Quads and slightly use the hamstrings. I dont want to grow my ass. WHen i train legs i seperate the muscles i start off with preexhausting both quads and hams then move on to QUADS, then HAMS, then CALVES. I dont want much hammy work when im working on quads that will come after quads! Slow controled squats just isolating your quads....Smart, and perfect. Whats your take on that therory Todd?

Comment

• Originally posted by Diomidis Mavroudis View Post
          Congrats for turning pro !!! I am tall like you (6'1) and i have some problems with my form at some exersices (squats,deadlifts,pullups).Your advice ??? Thanks a lot bro !!!
          Thanks bro! Height can be quite a disadvantage when it comes to bodybuilding. You may not be able to train the same way as a your shorter counterpart. You will need to train the way that best suits your frame, not what some general rule says. With longer limbs comes the need for a greater amount of force to move a certain amount of weight. Exercises like pull ups will be more difficult for the guy with longer limbs. Being a taller guy also means carrying more weight which only adds to the difficulty. Don't be too proud to use an assisted pull up machine.

I have found that because of my height dead lifts target mostly my spinal erectors. I have never done dead lifts regularly. I just don't get much out of them.

Squats are another exercise that is more difficult for taller guys. The longer your femur is the farther you have to be bent over at the bottom of the rep in order to keep the weight balanced over your feet. This can put an excessive amount of stress on your spine. Of course lots of people will call you a pussy and tell you that your form sucks, you are doing half ass squats, and that you need to go ass to ankles... It's generalized rules like this that will get people injured. Try not to listen to those rules and just train the way that is best for your body. As you can see from the video above I don't go ass to ankles anymore. I get a much better quad workout going down only to where the angle between my upper and lower leg is about 90 degrees. For us taller guys, 90 degrees is still a ways from the parallel position that many a meathead will tell you that you have to hit. But 90 degrees at the knee is sufficient to stimulate growth in the quads and glutes. I have found that pre-exhausting with leg extensions before doing squats helps my quads grow much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by afresk View Post
            I think those squats were perfect as a bodybuilder what is the point of going Ass to grass (ATG) if your trying to hit you Quads and slightly use the hamstrings. I dont want to grow my ass. WHen i train legs i seperate the muscles i start off with preexhausting both quads and hams then move on to QUADS, then HAMS, then CALVES. I dont want much hammy work when im working on quads that will come after quads! Slow controled squats just isolating your quads....Smart, and perfect. Whats your take on that therory Todd?
            I agree that ass to ankles isn't necessary to grow a good set of quads. Read my reply to Diomidis above. Taller guys put their spine at a greater risk by going ass to ankles than a shorter guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd Jewell View Post
              Thanks bro! Height can be quite a disadvantage when it comes to bodybuilding. You may not be able to train the same way as a your shorter counterpart. You will need to train the way that best suits your frame, not what some general rule says. With longer limbs comes the need for a greater amount of force to move a certain amount of weight. Exercises like pull ups will be more difficult for the guy with longer limbs. Being a taller guy also means carrying more weight which only adds to the difficulty. Don't be too proud to use an assisted pull up machine.

I have found that because of my height dead lifts target mostly my spinal erectors. I have never done dead lifts regularly. I just don't get much out of them.

Squats are another exercise that is more difficult for taller guys. The longer your femur is the farther you have to be bent over at the bottom of the rep in order to keep the weight balanced over your feet. This can put an excessive amount of stress on your spine. Of course lots of people will call you a pussy and tell you that your form sucks, you are doing half ass squats, and that you need to go ass to ankles... It's generalized rules like this that will get people injured. Try not to listen to those rules and just train the way that is best for your body. As you can see from the video above I don't go ass to ankles anymore. I get a much better quad workout going down only to where the angle between my upper and lower leg is about 90 degrees. For us taller guys, 90 degrees is still a ways from the parallel position that many a meathead will tell you that you have to hit. But 90 degrees at the knee is sufficient to stimulate growth in the quads and glutes. I have found that pre-exhausting with leg extensions before doing squats helps my quads grow much better.
              Thanks for your great answer !!! Best alternative for deadlifts ?? Thank you for your time !!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Diomidis Mavroudis View Post
                Thanks for your great answer !!! Best alternative for deadlifts ?? Thank you for your time !!!!!!!
                If you have access to a Hammer Strength Dead Lift that has separate hand grips on either side, that would be a good alternative so that you wouldn't have to bend over quite so far. You can also try dead lifts with dumbbells depending how much weight you need and how big the dumbbells are at your gym.

Comment

• Todd whats up man. Like you, I'm a taller guy at about 6'1. I have a very hard time filling out my limbs. My Arms are 18" and I have fairly decent quads but on my frame, they look very under developed. In this pic, I was around 245. I was just wondering if 1-you had a hard time filling your limbs out and 2- how frequently you trained arms and 3-what your leg split looked like while adding mass. I had only been bodybuilding for about 8 months in that pic and my split is as follows..
                  1-chest,tri,front delt
                  2-off
                  3- back, bi, rear/side delts
                  4- off
                  5- legs *for my question, my split is .. squat 4x6-14. leg extensions 4x6-14 hammy curls 4x6-14. calf raises 4x6-14.
                  6-off
                  repeat
                  I'm not rushing anything and understand how long things take, but I'd just like to hear your pro-opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by hulksyndrome View Post
                    Todd whats up man. Like you, I'm a taller guy at about 6'1. I have a very hard time filling out my limbs. My Arms are 18" and I have fairly decent quads but on my frame, they look very under developed. In this pic, I was around 245. I was just wondering if 1-you had a hard time filling your limbs out and 2- how frequently you trained arms and 3-what your leg split looked like while adding mass. I had only been bodybuilding for about 8 months in that pic and my split is as follows..
                    1-chest,tri,front delt
                    2-off
                    3- back, bi, rear/side delts
                    4- off
                    5- legs *for my question, my split is .. squat 4x6-14. leg extensions 4x6-14 hammy curls 4x6-14. calf raises 4x6-14.
                    6-off
                    repeat
                    I'm not rushing anything and understand how long things take, but I'd just like to hear your pro-opinion.

My arms were my strong point in my early years. They hit 18" by the time I was 18. I only have only trained them once per week for most of my bodybuilding career. My legs however have taken much more work to fill out. I split quads and hams into separate days. I hit 3-4 exercises for quads and 3-4 for hams. I still only train each one day per week. The pic below on the right was taken at my first competition when I was 21. As you can see my arms were a strong point.

2011-2002FrtDbl.jpg

Comment

• Here is a short clip of a set of dumbbell presses prior to the 2011 Nationals. This was done on a shoulder training day. Notice that the bench is set back at more of an incline than traditional presses. I like to vary the angle of incline from time to time to keep my delts from getting accustomed to one angle.

Comment

• Are you recovered now from your surgerys? And how long do you believe a bodybuilder can grow age wise;effectively.

Comment

• I'm having a problem with getting my rear delta up to par with the rest of my delts what excersises would u do to being them up to scratch?? Thanx dude in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by KurtyJ99 View Post
                            Are you recovered now from your surgerys? And how long do you believe a bodybuilder can grow age wise;effectively.
                            Yes, I am back to 100% and starting my 3rd week of training.

Your question is difficult to answer as everyone is a little different. Genetics play a big role in how well your joints hold up. Training style can change the course of a persons bodybuilding career. If your form is sloppy and you suffer too many injuries the number of years that you can grow will be reduced. IFBB Pro Tony Freeman is a great example of a guy who has taken very good care of his body and is therefore still able to consistently place at the top and continue to improve into his late 40's. on the flip side Dorian Yates suffered a number of injuries that cut the length of his career down significantly. So if a person really takes care of their body they can probably continue to grow into their 50's.

Comment

• Originally posted by lee19 View Post
                              I'm having a problem with getting my rear delta up to par with the rest of my delts what excersises would u do to being them up to scratch?? Thanx dude in advance
                              I would be sure to train your rear delts at the beginning of your shoulder workout. I would include reverse pec deck, bent over cable laterals, bent over dumbbell laterals, and maybe some high pulley rows.

Comment

• Will you be at the Flex Pro 2/18/12?
                                www.facebook.com/Paulawppt www.PaulasPersonalTraining.com

Comment

Working...
                                X