Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KurtyJ99 View Post
    Biggest inspiration?
    My biggest inspiration? As cliche' as it may sound, in the beginning it was Arnold. Once I started following the current sport, I looked up to quite a few of the pro's. At the gym I would try to picture the best body part in the sport as I was training that particular body part. For example, when training calves, I would picture the calves of guys like Eric Fankhouser and Ben Pakulski. When training back I try to picture the ridiculously thick lats of Kai Green.
    www.facebook.com/Todd.theCrown.Jewell www.twitter.com/toddjewell

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd Jewell View Post
      My biggest inspiration? As cliche' as it may sound, in the beginning it was Arnold. Once I started following the current sport, I looked up to quite a few of the pro's. At the gym I would try to picture the best body part in the sport as I was training that particular body part. For example, when training calves, I would picture the calves of guys like Eric Fankhouser and Ben Pakulski. When training back I try to picture the ridiculously thick lats of Kai Green.
      I've asked that question to at least 1,000 guys, and at least 90% of them said Arnold. Between Pumping Iron and his action movies, I doubt anyone else ever had or will have that type of influence again.
      Muscular Development Online Editor
      FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron Harris View Post
        I've asked that question to at least 1,000 guys, and at least 90% of them said Arnold. Between Pumping Iron and his action movies, I doubt anyone else ever had or will have that type of influence again.
        You are probably right. It would be great though if someone could step forward and be the Arnold of the new generation.

Comment

You are probably right. It would be great though if someone could step forward and be the Arnold of the new generation.
          That would be pretty awesome! It was a rare blend of physique and personality/charisma. Everybody wanted to be around him. All the men wanted to be him, all the women wanted him!
          Muscular Development Online Editor
          FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron Harris View Post
            That would be pretty awesome! It was a rare blend of physique and personality/charisma. Everybody wanted to be around him. All the men wanted to be him, all the women wanted him!
            Nowadays the gyms don't want us big guys around because we "intimidate" new members. Used to be that people saw someone like Arnold and wanted to work hard to try to be like him. Now people just want to strive to be mediocre. We as a country are lowering the standards so that everyone can be a rockstar.

Comment

• Congratulations Todd,
              You obviously improved your size and conditioning and deserved to win. I think you wrote that you want to put on more quality size to compete as a pro. My observation is that sometimes guys continue to put on size but don't improve the roundness or separation of their muscles. They just get bigger and bigger without looking better. The muscles don't pop. How do you think we can improve on these or is the shape of the muscles just genetic?

Comment

• Originally posted by pprboybl View Post
                Congratulations Todd,
                You obviously improved your size and conditioning and deserved to win. I think you wrote that you want to put on more quality size to compete as a pro. My observation is that sometimes guys continue to put on size but don't improve the roundness or separation of their muscles. They just get bigger and bigger without looking better. The muscles don't pop. How do you think we can improve on these or is the shape of the muscles just genetic?
                Thank you! Yes I agree that some guys get bigger without continuing to look better. In the 7 months of training that I have done under the guidance of Hany Rambod, I have become a big believer in his FST-7 training style. Stretching the facia did seem to improve on the roundness of my muscle bellies. I plan to continue with this style of training as I for one could use a lot more "pop" to my muscles. I think genetics does play a role in muscle size and shape especially with concern to origin and insertion points, but I think we do have a say in the shape to some degree.

Comment

• Tall Bodybuilder Tips???

Hey Todd, congratulations on the pro card, you looked great at nationals and cant wait to see you compete on the pro stage!!!

I noticed your a pretty tall bodybuilder and being tall myself im stuggling to put on decent muscle mass.

Do you have any tips for a tall guy in a bulk? How many sets and rep ranges? I find my best results have come on my back & Legs where i do a lot of sets and a lot of volume, but i guess you can get away with high volume on these due to the size of the muscles... I dont have the same gains at all with Chest and Arms, any tips on how to bring up these areas too?
                  Last edited by sal722; December 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sal722 View Post
                    Hey Todd, congratulations on the pro card, you looked great at nationals and cant wait to see you compete on the pro stage!!!

I noticed your a pretty tall bodybuilder and being tall myself im stuggling to put on decent muscle mass.

Do you have any tips for a tall guy in a bulk? How many sets and rep ranges? I find my best results have come on my back & Legs where i do a lot of sets and a lot of volume, but i guess you can get away with high volume on these due to the size of the muscles... I dont have the same gains at all with Chest and Arms, any tips on how to bring up these areas too?
                    First off, thank you! I am excited to mix it up with the big boys finally. Next, it sounds like you have found what works for you back and legs. That's great. Half the battle right there. Everyone seems to respond differently to training styles. Some people respond well to high volume and some don't. I seem to respond to higher volume training as well on most things.

As for your chest and arms, try some new things. Maybe some new exercises that you haven't tried in a while. I have found that on certain body parts, I respond well to pre-exhausting. For example, on chest day I will start with and incline cable fly to pre-exhaust then move on to dumbbell inclines, etc.. As far as sets and reps, that varies from person to person, but it sounds like volume works for you so I would stick with 8-12 reps and maybe 3 working sets per exercise. Hany has turned me into a big believer in the FST-7 training method and i would definitely recommend that at the end of the workout. I hope this helps!

Comment

First off, thank you! I am excited to mix it up with the big boys finally. Next, it sounds like you have found what works for you back and legs. That's great. Half the battle right there. Everyone seems to respond differently to training styles. Some people respond well to high volume and some don't. I seem to respond to higher volume training as well on most things.

As for your chest and arms, try some new things. Maybe some new exercises that you haven't tried in a while. I have found that on certain body parts, I respond well to pre-exhausting. For example, on chest day I will start with and incline cable fly to pre-exhaust then move on to dumbbell inclines, etc.. As far as sets and reps, that varies from person to person, but it sounds like volume works for you so I would stick with 8-12 reps and maybe 3 working sets per exercise. Hany has turned me into a big believer in the FST-7 training method and i would definitely recommend that at the end of the workout. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the help, im definatley going to give your advice a try. I think i speak for a lot of people here, but I think its great that you guys at the top of the game still have time to give back some of your knowledge.

I have a couple of question about FST-7...

Do you think FST-7 as a pre exhaust? so for triceps i was thinking a rope pushdown before going onto the heavy movements as i struggle to get the same pump on my triceps as i do with biceps or is it best left till the end?

How many exercises would you reccomend doing in total including the FST-7 on triceps and chest to avoid over training?

Thanks in advance, and enjoy the holidays before heading into another tough off season!

Comment

• Originally posted by sal722 View Post
                        Thanks for the help, im definatley going to give your advice a try. I think i speak for a lot of people here, but I think its great that you guys at the top of the game still have time to give back some of your knowledge.

I have a couple of question about FST-7...

Do you think FST-7 as a pre exhaust? so for triceps i was thinking a rope pushdown before going onto the heavy movements as i struggle to get the same pump on my triceps as i do with biceps or is it best left till the end?

How many exercises would you reccomend doing in total including the FST-7 on triceps and chest to avoid over training?

Thanks in advance, and enjoy the holidays before heading into another tough off season!
                        You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by my thread.
                        There is no reason why you can't try FST-7 at the beginning of the workout now and then. I have done that with quad workouts in the past. I would say no more than 4 exercises on each muscle group including the FST-7.

Happy Holidays!

Comment

• Hi Todd
                          First of all, congrats on great 2011 season, happy holidays and all the best in 2012, above all good health! Have you made any plans for your first pro season or you're taking a year off? Any chance of seeing you at NY Pro in May 2012?
                          Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCDOC View Post
                            Hi Todd
                            First of all, congrats on great 2011 season, happy holidays and all the best in 2012, above all good health! Have you made any plans for your first pro season or you're taking a year off? Any chance of seeing you at NY Pro in May 2012?
                            Cheers!
                            Thank you very much! Happy Holidays to you as well. I have not made any plans for the 2012 season yet except to grow. Hany and I will be evaluating my physique as we go to see how fast it is progressing. I am sure we will start discussing when and where I will make my pro debut in the next few months. I will be at the NY Pro but I don't think I will be competing.

Comment

• Happy Holidays everyone!!

Comment

• Merry Christmas Todd, nice to see you responding so frequent in your QA thread. All the best in training and contest prep, do you have a pro debut in sight? If I have missed you answering this somewhere my bad, just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X