Q & A with Rob Youells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q & A with Rob Youells

This is the place to get to know Rob Youells! Have at it!

February 13, 2012
    By Sean Andros

We are proud to announce the newest addition to Team MD: NPC Heavyweight bodybuilder Rob Youells.

Rob is fresh off a second-place finish at the 2011 NPC Nationals, where he narrowly missed first and the chance to become an IFBB pro. Now he’s hard at work packing on some size to make a run at the 2012 NPC USA Championships on July 27-28. MD’s Publisher and Editor-in-Chief Steve Blechman had this to say about the newest member of the team: “Rob proved last year he is a force to be reckoned with. I can’t wait to follow along as he takes his training and his physique to the next level in 2012!”

Along with his success onstage, Rob has been showcased in nearly 40 features in fitness magazines, including two covers. He’s also been on “Saturday Night Live,” Conan O’Brien, “Guiding Light,” a handful of movies and a recurring role in the video game “Grand Theft Auto.”

Rob and three other bodybuilders (yet to be named) will be featured in MD TV’s pre-NPC USA video documentary series. Fortunately for us, Rob couldn’t wait to come onboard and start contributing so we got an early start. Before the video series kicks off in May, Rob will be blogging, talking to you on the forums and showing up in a few off-season videos.

Like most young (and old) bodybuilders, signing with MD was a dream come true for Rob, who commented: “I really want to thank Steve and Sean for having so much faith in me. Muscular Development is the most cutting-edge source for the best and brightest in bodybuilding, so it’s an amazing honor to be part of the family.”

Look out for Rob’s first blog this week and videos soon after, only at www.musculardevelopment.com!

Hey Rob,

I don't know if you are allowed to answer this, but are you still training with Rodney?... If I've got the timing right, the period when you two started training together corresponded with moving up in terms of national level placings(?)...

-Scott

Comment

Which character are you in gta? And how did you get that gig?

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
        Hey Rob,

I don't know if you are allowed to answer this, but are you still training with Rodney?... If I've got the timing right, the period when you two started training together corresponded with moving up in terms of national level placings(?)...

-Scott
        Hey Scott,
        I really only trained with him here and there for a short period of time. I have had a lot of great training partners over the years and a lot of them deserve thanks for helping me. My brother in-law John Imperante taught me a lot when I first started. Lately, Guy pushes me hard and gets me to move weight that actually surprises me sometimes. I think he helped me make some much needed
        improvements for this past Nationals showing.
        Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity \m/ >..< \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Youells View Post
          Hey Scott,
          I really only trained with him here and there for a short period of time. I have had a lot of great training partners over the years and a lot of them deserve thanks for helping me. My brother in-law John Imperante taught me a lot when I first started. Lately, Guy pushes me hard and gets me to move weight that actually surprises me sometimes. I think he helped me make some much needed
          improvements for this past Nationals showing.
          Gotcha. So you'd say progressively handling heavier loads has been the key to your progress in the past couple years?...

Any exercises in particular you starting doing or focused on that you hadn't before?...

Looks like you got a gig with Pro-Tan, too. Congrat's there. (Hanging with Carla and Nicki will at least keep it interesting... LOL)

-S

Comment

You got a good back! what is the 2-3 best exercises you reccomend for back?
            www.AntoineVaillant.com www.UniversalUSA.com www.MuscularDevelopment.com
            SHOCK THERAPY : http://www.universalusa.com/Universal/ShockTherapy

Comment

Rob just saw your and Guy training video, you're looking very lean for the offseason. What was your diet this past offseason?

Comment

I think in general as I have gained muscle maturity and continued to train hard, more weight is just inevitable, but having someone push me out of my comfort zone like Guy has, that can spark new improvements. I always feel like I need more depth in my chest, so having guy throw push 405 on me didn't hurt my cause! I think starting some of my chest routines with decline made a difference too. That can sometimes be an afterthought kind of exercise... few sets at the end. Turning it into the main course every so often stress the muscle in a totally different way and I think helped me make some improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by -DNTS- View Post
                  Rob just saw your and Guy training video, you're looking very lean for the offseason. What was your diet this past offseason?
                  That routine was a few weeks ago and I have to be honest, I was at the tail end of a pretty long three way with Ben and Jerry! lol. After Nats I just enjoyed eating what I want, when I want... what I want usually involves some kind of ice cream. I don't really gain a lot of weight unless I'm force feeding myself every couple hours. I recently started back on a regimented meal schedule and I am gaining, I have some time to make some improvements before I start my prep for the USA so, expect to see a little more of me in upcoming training vids!

Comment

Originally posted by bigdealbaby View Post
                    Which character are you in gta? And how did you get that gig?
                    That was a really fun gig. They called my agent and requested I come in and read. The scene I read was this gangster sounding tough guy. I got the part only to find out that I was Evan. How they knew I could act like a meat head version of Jack from Will and Grace is beyond me, but I apparently did a great job. During the production I had everyone in stitches laughing. The voice overs were hilarious too. I had to say a million different things that could happen while you play the game. "You can't do that to me, I'm a bodybuilder ya know!" and "AHHH My peck implant!" It really was a ton of fun.

Comment

That was a really fun gig. They called my agent and requested I come in and read. The scene I read was this gangster sounding tough guy. I got the part only to find out that I was Evan. How they knew I could act like a meat head version of Jack from Will and Grace is beyond me, but I apparently did a great job. During the production I had everyone in stitches laughing. The voice overs were hilarious too. I had to say a million different things that could happen while you play the game. "You can't do that to me, I'm a bodybuilder ya know!" and "AHHH My peck implant!" It really was a ton of fun.

lmao
                      www.AntoineVaillant.com www.UniversalUSA.com www.MuscularDevelopment.com
                      SHOCK THERAPY : http://www.universalusa.com/Universal/ShockTherapy

Comment

Originally posted by Antoine View Post
                        You got a good back! what is the 2-3 best exercises you reccomend for back?
                        Thanks! I love bent rows, sometimes using the smith, sometimes free weight. T-Bar using an Olympic bar loaded on one side and although I HATE single arm rows, they work.

Comment

That sounds cool man, do you have anything to do with gta 5 or is it too secret?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdealbaby View Post
                            That sounds cool man, do you have anything to do with gta 5 or is it too secret?
                            My character got killed off in the lost and damned so, barring any sort of zombie night of the living dead action, OR the possibility of a long lost twin, I'm pretty much done with that. I would work for Rockstar games any time though. They are all really creative and great to work with, not to mention the pay is freakin great. So, anything they need I'm in.

Comment

Hi Rob,

I have been hitting the gym for 1.5 years now, and it's been hard for me to gain muscle. I use protein supplements and all. Based on your experience, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X