Q & A with IFBB PRO Mike Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bloat View Post
    Hey bro., I was watching one of ur vids.., gotta say their awesome, anyway..., now that ur prep'n, u said u were down to 200g carbs, I know most of them are right before workout prolly, but what exactly are they? And I appolige if u have a log with ur meal plan in it already.
    The carbs were from waxy maize or vitargo. I had some before I trained and during.

At 3 weeks out it dropped from 150-200g to about 50g
    Believe. Behave. Become!

Comment

Hey, when you train alone do you use rest pause and dropset on every "set that counts" or do you use any other methods to go beyond failure?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Mörtzell View Post
        Hey, when you train alone do you use rest pause and dropset on every "set that counts" or do you use any other methods to go beyond failure?
        Yes and also negatives when possible & super sets at times
        Believe. Behave. Become!

Comment

Hey Mike, big fan from Ottawa and hoping you do well at the New York Pro. Do you have any recommendations for pain in the wrist joint? I've been taking glucosamine sulfate for about a month and its not helping. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by cdimitrov View Post
            Hey Mike, big fan from Ottawa and hoping you do well at the New York Pro. Do you have any recommendations for pain in the wrist joint? I've been taking glucosamine sulfate for about a month and its not helping. Any ideas would be appreciated.
            hey, first off i would recommend almost doubling the dose of your Glucosamine/Chondroiten/MSM supplement...and second I would assess what is causing the pain.

straight bar curls can do it...if so use the ez curl bar;
            if you use thumbless grip for bench then try thumb around the bar;
            believe it or not but texting can cause overuse issues which cause wrist pain....lol it happened to me.
            Believe. Behave. Become!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Mike View Post
              i only train abs pre contest...i know i should do more but i find heavy squats and reads without a belt help.

I also feel like shit with high carb drinks, so I tried a lot of things and i prefer Waxy maize or virago or karbolyn ...if you can get unflavoured i would. I find there are far to many artificial sweeteners and chemicals in them otherwise.
              Its actually karbolyn and vitargo, and those "special designer" carbs that bloat me. They just seem to put the brakes on my digestive system lol!

I am fine doing something like gatorade post workout but even that is kinda iffy. Should I possibly just make my post workout meal carb content larger. I normally have a mix of jasmine rice and yukon potatoes, so would throwing in some honey or something like pineapple juice be good?

I know intra is the best time, I just cant get it to work for me and dont wanna keep forcing it on my body if it aint gonna work. BEsides, they looked pretty good still back in the day without the special drinks and such (not knocking them, as they are beneficial if you tolerate them)

Comment

Very Generic question, but I must ask because you always show up in shape.

Do you think Carbs/protein is really the only true way to build a complete higher level bodybuilding physique?

Or do you believe it can be accomplished eatting a high fat/high protein diet?

Comment

Originally posted by SideShowDoc View Post
                  Its actually karbolyn and vitargo, and those "special designer" carbs that bloat me. They just seem to put the brakes on my digestive system lol!

I am fine doing something like gatorade post workout but even that is kinda iffy. Should I possibly just make my post workout meal carb content larger. I normally have a mix of jasmine rice and yukon potatoes, so would throwing in some honey or something like pineapple juice be good?

I know intra is the best time, I just cant get it to work for me and dont wanna keep forcing it on my body if it aint gonna work. BEsides, they looked pretty good still back in the day without the special drinks and such (not knocking them, as they are beneficial if you tolerate them)
                  Yes for sure that would be fine. Bottom line is you have to listen to your body because it is unique and do what is best for you. Then and only then will you maximize your potential.
                  Believe. Behave. Become!

Comment

Originally posted by KurtyJ99 View Post
                    Very Generic question, but I must ask because you always show up in shape.

Do you think Carbs/protein is really the only true way to build a complete higher level bodybuilding physique?

Or do you believe it can be accomplished eatting a high fat/high protein diet?
                    I an a big fats guy! I eat close to 2g of protein per lb of body weight and about double that in carbs.... I have 300g of added fats to my daily macros, not including what I get from my red meat and salmon. I think to gain quality mass you need to push carbs and fats to the limit( meaning just to where you arn't putting on excess body fat) and protein should stay consistent since too much is hard in the kidneys and body.
                    Believe. Behave. Become!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Mike View Post
                      Yes for sure that would be fine. Bottom line is you have to listen to your body because it is unique and do what is best for you. Then and only then will you maximize your potential.
                      Thanks mike.

In the past when you didnt use carb powders how would you get in some easy carbs besides just adding more potatoes, etc. Ever try things like some honey or fruit juice, etc?

ANd how would you go about increasing fats. I dont wanna overdo it too fast as they slow down digestion. WOuld adding something like coconut oil with mcts be a good start?

Comment

Originally posted by SideShowDoc View Post
                        Thanks mike.

In the past when you didnt use carb powders how would you get in some easy carbs besides just adding more potatoes, etc. Ever try things like some honey or fruit juice, etc?

ANd how would you go about increasing fats. I dont wanna overdo it too fast as they slow down digestion. WOuld adding something like coconut oil with mcts be a good start?
                        I would use minute rice and fruit juice but honey is probably a better choice with more health benifits.

Yes you are right on, go slow with adding the fats. I like coconut oil, olive oil, maybe start with 4 table spoons a day and add from there
                        Believe. Behave. Become!

Comment

hey mike do you want to inform us a litlle about your current contest prep? as far as nutrition, cardio build up -intensity, macro nutrients etc? i know a lot of info but im very interested about..

Comment

Now in the offseason how does your peri workout looks like? What do you take for intra workout etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X