Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q and A with 2012 North American Overall Champ, Dallas McCarver

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I hate to keep bothering you because I know you're probably really busy, but what's your opinion when it comes to rep ranges. I know you most likely get asked this ALL the time, but I just wanted to go straight to a reliable source instead of going to someone else and getting told 10 different things. For example: What rep range would you recommend for "off season" type of training, and also a good rep range for cutting weight and toning up. Thanks again!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SAMbennett23 View Post
      Hey Dallas big fan during off season how many cheat meals do you have and do you have them on training days or rest days?
      I usually have two "cheat meals" per week. One is cleaner something like sushi, or just a big steak and potato so it's really not like a cheat per say just something different than my normal meals. Then the other one is a little more serious, something like pizza, burger, maybe even some sweets with it like a some ice cream, or a piece of pie or something. Hell my last bad cheat meal I had some fried chicken, and it was damn amazing! lol Also as far as when I cheat I prefer to do it on days where I am training larger muscle groups such as back, or legs. I normally do them post training, I dont like to eat anything out of the ordinary before I train, because I cant stand that nasty bloated feeling while training.

      Comment


      • That was also one of my biggest questions when I started training, but in all honestly the answer is much simpler than you think. My reps range from 6-15, now I know this sounds like a larger range but thats kind of the point. You have to listen to your body, see how your joints feel and go from there. Ill give you an example and this is how I train just about everything. Say I am doing a bench press well I will start off with x amount of weight for 15 reps, assuming that feels good I will move up in weight for around 12 reps then up again for 10. At that point this is where I usually would just do another set or two with the same amount of weight, but on what I call good days my joints feel great and I feel strong so I go up for a total failure really high weight lift. I do this for everything with the exceptions of arms and shoulders and thats just because I think these muscles require a slightly higher rep range than larger muscles to ensure a great pump and fatigue something in the 10-15 range. If you think about it your not going to benefit much from 6 reps on curls lol.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Baker33 View Post
          I hate to keep bothering you because I know you're probably really busy, but what's your opinion when it comes to rep ranges. I know you most likely get asked this ALL the time, but I just wanted to go straight to a reliable source instead of going to someone else and getting told 10 different things. For example: What rep range would you recommend for "off season" type of training, and also a good rep range for cutting weight and toning up. Thanks again!
          That was also one of my biggest questions when I started training, but in all honestly the answer is much simpler than you think. My reps range from 6-15, now I know this sounds like a larger range but thats kind of the point. You have to listen to your body, see how your joints feel and go from there. Ill give you an example and this is how I train just about everything. Say I am doing a bench press well I will start off with x amount of weight for 15 reps, assuming that feels good I will move up in weight for around 12 reps then up again for 10. At that point this is where I usually would just do another set or two with the same amount of weight, but on what I call good days my joints feel great and I feel strong so I go up for a total failure really high weight lift. I do this for everything with the exceptions of arms and shoulders and thats just because I think these muscles require a slightly higher rep range than larger muscles to ensure a great pump and fatigue something in the 10-15 range. If you think about it your not going to benefit much from 6 reps on curls lol. There is no perfect rep range brother, we are all different and we require different types of diet and training ect. This goes back to the whole learning your body thing just have to find what works for you best. Just think about it the way Phill, Ronnie, and Dorian trained are all completely different, yet they are all beast, because they found what worked for them.

          Comment


          • I know it's hard to answer a question like that because like you just said everyone is different, but it definitely helps to get an idea on where to start. That same rep range I have found out over the past few months works really well for me, so thanks again for taking the time to answer my question!

            Comment


            • Hey man I really think you have got a great physique especially for your age. But age aside no matter what way you look at it you have a amazing physique. But I was wondering what is a good body fat percentage to have while bulking. I am just trying to build up mass to eventually do a show. And I know when I do a show and start dieting the muscle will go away very quickly. I am 220 right now at 15% percent body fat and I am 5'11. Some people say that is way to high and I should keep my body fat around 10% while bulking. I know this is a lame reason not to want to keep my body fat that low but honestly I just really hate eating a lot of clean food. Also this is another random question to throw In to this but whats the most muscle you have gained in a 3 to 6 month period. Like actual muscle not water weight. After you had been training for a good amount of time. Because almost every one can put on like 20 pounds in a year If they never worked out before and they start a good work out program and diet. So whats the most muscle you have put on in a 3 to 6 month period since you started really training. Lol because I know you get pretty damn big in the off season. I mean that in a good way.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by 357 magnum View Post
                Hey man I really think you have got a great physique especially for your age. But age aside no matter what way you look at it you have a amazing physique. But I was wondering what is a good body fat percentage to have while bulking. I am just trying to build up mass to eventually do a show. And I know when I do a show and start dieting the muscle will go away very quickly. I am 220 right now at 15% percent body fat and I am 5'11. Some people say that is way to high and I should keep my body fat around 10% while bulking. I know this is a lame reason not to want to keep my body fat that low but honestly I just really hate eating a lot of clean food. Also this is another random question to throw In to this but whats the most muscle you have gained in a 3 to 6 month period. Like actual muscle not water weight. After you had been training for a good amount of time. Because almost every one can put on like 20 pounds in a year If they never worked out before and they start a good work out program and diet. So whats the most muscle you have put on in a 3 to 6 month period since you started really training. Lol because I know you get pretty damn big in the off season. I mean that in a good way.
                well first off thanks for the compliments. As for your questions, that is a difficult question for me to answer as first off I dont think I have EVER checked my bf%. I honestly believe the caliper test are rather unreliable. Anyways for me personally even in my grow periods I prefer to keep some what abs visible and not turn into to much of a bloated mess. As for not liking to eat clean, well that sort of is contradictory for this life style lol. I mean even if you do have cheat meals and what not you still need some way of keeping up with what and how much of what you are eating. That way you can adjust if you accordingly to your goals and what you want to do with your body, and even in the heaviest of calorie times all of my nutrition minus cheats comes from grilled meats, high quality healthy carbs, and good healthy fats Not just eating random junk all the time. I would guess to say that at 15% you can not see any of the ole abs and you are pretty soft, but I could be wrong! If thats the case you might want to tighten up just a tad before trying to put on much more weight and size. Just to simply avoid becoming a nasty ball of fat and bloat after you reach whatever goal weight you have. As for the most weight gained in a time period I dont really know to be honest.

                Comment


                • What are the biggest differences between working with hany and John o Reagan?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SAMbennett23 View Post
                    What are the biggest differences between working with hany and John o Reagan?
                    I would have to say the biggest difference is the training. I have always been one to train intensely and really move some heavy weights, but with Hany everything is so precise and exact! From the actual way I perform each exercise to the rep ranges to the number of sets even the amount of time in between sets. Of course my diet has changed in a great number of ways, I am able to eat more food and stay fuller and leaner as well. In part because I usually train twice per day. I also love Hany's genuine concern for my health and well being of my career. He stay on top of me about keeping my body both inside and out healthy and well maintained everything from chiropracters, to deep tissue, to ART. On top of all that Hany is a genius business man and has become very successful in this industry and he is always very helpful and full of great advice when it comes to issues of my career. First time I talked to Hany I felt like he was someone who genuinely believed in me and wanted me to succeed that meant a ton to me!

                    Comment


                    • what have u noticed different by training a body part twice a week? Furthermore can u explain more detail on "I think the biggest thing was I just had no idea actually how to properly train certain body parts such as back and legs people would be amazed at the difference rep ranges, order of exercises and just generally doing them a specific way can make on a given body part." thx dallas

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DallasMcCarver View Post
                        I would have to say the biggest difference is the training. I have always been one to train intensely and really move some heavy weights, but with Hany everything is so precise and exact! From the actual way I perform each exercise to the rep ranges to the number of sets even the amount of time in between sets. Of course my diet has changed in a great number of ways, I am able to eat more food and stay fuller and leaner as well. In part because I usually train twice per day. I also love Hany's genuine concern for my health and well being of my career. He stay on top of me about keeping my body both inside and out healthy and well maintained everything from chiropracters, to deep tissue, to ART. On top of all that Hany is a genius business man and has become very successful in this industry and he is always very helpful and full of great advice when it comes to issues of my career. First time I talked to Hany I felt like he was someone who genuinely believed in me and wanted me to succeed that meant a ton to me!
                        wow sounds amazing, your definatly in good hands! I was going to work with John a few months ago but just seemed a bit too much too soon

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by firefighter67 View Post
                          what have u noticed different by training a body part twice a week? Furthermore can u explain more detail on "I think the biggest thing was I just had no idea actually how to properly train certain body parts such as back and legs people would be amazed at the difference rep ranges, order of exercises and just generally doing them a specific way can make on a given body part." thx dallas
                          Well as far as training twice a week I have noticed the particular muscle group stays more full. Keep in mind I don't train every group twice a week (currently training nothing twice per week) but when I do I select one weak body part and I'll hit it twice a week for a period of a 5-6 weeks and then give it a break by going back to once a week. I've noticed after a certain amount of time, while the muscle is still staying more full and "round" if you will, it begins to develop a fatigued beat down feeling. That's usually when I give it a break and swap the training to another weak area.
                          As for for how to train each body part I could go on and on for days, but it boils down to what we are tough in a football locker room, or by other "lifters" isn't always best for what we are trying to achieve as bodybuilder. While yes someone may have taught you good proper "lifting form" it doesn't mean that's the way that's going to build up the given body part your trying to target. Examples may include feet placement on squats, angle in which you are bent over on rows orhow and where you actually pull the weight back to your body, elbow position on close grip bench, rang of motion and squeeze techniques on pressing movements, how high to do your curls to your forehead or nose or your chin? All minor things but when you put several of these little details in a given let's say back workout over the course of months it can make a HUGE difference. I've seen this first hand and the proof is in how my physique has changed both in size and over all look in the past few months sense working with Hany

                          Comment


                          • can you post a dailys meal plan this time around with the influence of hany?
                            and whats the differences in nutrition betewwen hany and o reaganyou think made an impact?

                            Comment


                            • Hey Champ,here I am IF you want and have time to spare,can you please explain your theory about being right handed and having the left arm bigger and possibly more detailed than the right arm ? I never understood this difference. I am right handed,I do everything with my right hand,even text on the phone,but my left hand is bigger and more detailed,especially the triceps...is it because the muscles in my right arm are "worked" more often ? I heard a interesting theory from a doctor some years ago,that because the heart is on the left side, it pumps more blood to the left side. I'm looking forward to talk to you about this subject and learn from the best ! If you don't understand what I'm saying,please tell me and I will rephrase it(I'm from a small european country)
                              "If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

                              Comment


                              • Agree with Bogdi ^^
                                Waterproof Socks

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X