IFBB Pro Evan Centopani Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vargasty View Post
    Thanks Evan.. do u believe there is a differenece in protein sources, such is one better then the other? I am always hearing red meat is the best for building muscle.
    There are definitely differences in protein sources. The difference lies in the amino acid profile and in your bodies ability to effectively use that source. Red meat is definitely good stuff. You just have to be sure to not skimp and buy cheap stuff. Regardless of the amount of protein in london broil, for example, it is irreleveant as that cut of meant is so damn tough to digest you'll probably just crap most of it out. Filet, NY Strip etc are a whole other ballgame. Your talking about meat that you can actually chew and your body has a chance of effectively assimilating. Remember, the first step of digestion is mechanical (chewing) and if you can physically break that stuff down then your enzymes (chemical) will have a hard time doing their job. For this reason, I love fish. Undoubtedly my favorite animal protein source. Fish is easily digested and I love the taste. I feel that fish keeps me leaner and I feel good when I eat it. The EFAs in the fish are like gold. Just try to get wild cought fish. The farm raised stuff is crapola and has all sorts of funny stuff in it you don't want to put in your body. Chicken is good. It's economical, the taste isn't bad, digestion is good etc. Speaking of chicken that brings us to the egg. The WHOLE egg. NOT the white that so many bodybuilders chug down. The whole egg is th ONLY single protein source with all 22 amino acids. The whole egg is loaded with high quality protein and all that fat and cholesterol in the yoke that everyone always bitches about is some good stuff. People forget that hormones are build on cholesterol. Fat intake goes too low and you ahve no cholestrol in your diet and you compromise your body's capacity to manufacture hormones. So stop whining and eat the damn yoke. They're delicious. But the million dollar question is "is one protein source better for building muscle?" I'm no doctor and I don't read scientific journals (I had enough of that in college) but I'll say that I think that variety is key. Your protein intake should be from a variety of sources. You need all 22 aminos to build muscle and unless your going to eat eggs all day long, which I don't reccomend, you should be mixing it up all day long. Whey, milk, egg, beef, chicken, fish etc. However, I will tell you this, I think steak and eggs are a good combo for gaining size. You cover all the aminos and you combine two sources that are top quality and end up with a sustained release protein. Besides, who doesn't like steak and eggs?
    www.centopani.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan Centopani View Post
      Justin told me it yesterday and I thought it was one of the best quotes I've ever heard: "When you want what you've never had, you must do what you've never done" - Theodore Roosevelt. Is that f'in great or what? I love it.
      That is a great quote. My weakness was my legs this past year due to a broken tailbone limiting my training for awhile. Since I'm back 100% I've taken a vastly different approach (giant sets, 20 rep schemes) and must say they have improved a lot. It seems going outside your comfort zone with regards to training modalities is what stimulates the best.

Maybe this was covered before Evan but are there any bodybuilders in the present you really look up to? This can be from a business or physique standpoint.
      Heretic

Comment

• i gotta say im impressed with the thouroughness of your replies to everyone. its refreshing to see someone who really cares about his fans. anywho, what specifics (mainly bodby parts) are you looking to improve for your upcoming contests. i read that some people were a little critical of your presentation??
        im assuming thats something that just comes with experience and being comfortable on stage in time. For what its worth the only things i could possibly see that you would need to improve on are a little thickness in the chest (only because your delts are recockulously wide and huge), and maybe your inner thighs. seriously thoug had it not been for desmond coming outta nowhere youd be a pro. anywho keep up the good work. one last thing, have you scheduled any appearances anywhere?

Comment

• All this knowledge at the age of 24...very impressive. Steak and eggs are a nighttime stable for me as I have never had a 100% cassein drink and their ar virtually no carbs to spike insulin levels before bed. The steak and eggs give me my protein and fat source for the night and I supplement GABA to further increase my body's natural output of growth hormone that occurs in the early sleep phase. Plus it tastes freakin awesome

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome Evan...hey man everything i said is true...i've trained thousands of people (dozens of bodybuilders) since i became a trainer when i was 16 yrs old and I've never seen anyone respond so quickly to training...what's more impressive is your mind...when given the choice to go up in weight when Brian had 5 plates on the bar you put the ego to the side and stayed with 4 plates but did the reps with pinpoint accuracy and controlled intensity, even when given the challange to do an 11th rep after you just barely struggled on the 10th you decided to rack it...champions think that way!...training smarter is more important than training harder, everything is a balance!.....you have everything it takes to go as far as you'd like in this sport, including the genetics!...you are a true "FREAK" my friend! Wait till they see the wheels in November...the judges will be jumping out of their f*^king seats! I'm glad you like the Theodore Roosevelt quotes...he was the man...i gotta give you the A & E biography on his life...it's totally inspiring!...what an amazing man.......again, thanks for saying I was a kick as competitor, but lets put that in a future tense and say "will be" instead of "was" because my best is yet to come...just been taking a break is all.....I'm listening to what you are telling me...I'm a firm believer in the saying "Success leaves clues"...and have been following your arm training advise...you help me with arms and it will be an even trade off ok?...lol...thanks brother. By the way your thread destroys all the pros...you are a very special young man with a sharp mind...a column in MD and your own thread here at MD online will show everyone that there is an incredible mind that is creating that incredible physique...genetics certainly come into play but it's no accident you are the best amateur in the world after only 3 shows...you will be a great ambassador for the sport....just what it needs in fact.
            www.instagram.com/astrongspirit

Comment

• thanks alot for the advice. Even before you took second in the Nationals you have been answering my questions and I appreciate it alot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deserusan View Post
                That is a great quote. My weakness was my legs this past year due to a broken tailbone limiting my training for awhile. Since I'm back 100% I've taken a vastly different approach (giant sets, 20 rep schemes) and must say they have improved a lot. It seems going outside your comfort zone with regards to training modalities is what stimulates the best.

Maybe this was covered before Evan but are there any bodybuilders in the present you really look up to? This can be from a business or physique standpoint.
                From a physique standpoint I really admire a lot of the guys that were/are smaller in comaprison to the other bodybuilders. For example I always liked the looks of guys like Rich Gaspari, Shawn Ray, Lee Labrada, and now David Henry and Dexter Jackson. Dexter is the only bodybuilder right now who I look at and say "wow I really admire that guy's physique". Even though he didn't have the best track record as a competitng pro, I really liked Mike Matarazzo's physique and looked up to him for that and his personality. He was a huge inspiration to me. I liked Dorian for the simple fact that he did a lot with what he was given, trained like a beast, and looked like he was carved out of granite when he got on stage. Dorian just reminded you of a real man. Kevin LEvrone had some of the most incredible genetics ever and an incredible physique. Jay Cutler is a model for any aspiring bodybuilder because he is a professional in every sense of the word. And Lee Haney, for representing the sport like a true champion should and for using his status and experience to seek out worthwhile endeavors beyond bodybuilding. Being number one, you owe it to your fans, the sport, and yourself to be a good ambassador and to give as much back as you possibly can.
                Last edited by Evan Centopani; January 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM. Reason: forgot something
                www.centopani.com

Comment

• Evan being an MD athlete and future star in the IFBB, are there other companies knocking at your door looking to sponsor you?
                  www.mooremuscle.net

Comment

• hey Evan
                    do you ever drink milk or do you stay away from it, b/c it makes people
                    look soft??

Thankx alot

Comment

• Originally posted by bounce View Post
                      Evan being an MD athlete and future star in the IFBB, are there other companies knocking at your door looking to sponsor you?
                      I'm currently in the process of signing with a supplement company. You guys all know the company and most likely use their products but I'm going to wait until it's finalized before I say anything about who they are.
                      www.centopani.com

Comment

• Originally posted by chuckattude View Post
                        hey Evan
                        do you ever drink milk or do you stay away from it, b/c it makes people
                        look soft??

Thankx alot
                        I used to drink quite a bit of milk but I stay away from it now. I think it is unneccesary unless you are a hardgainer. For me, it just makes me too full. Besides, milk is for babies. Haha. I think Arnold said that. The only worthwhile dairy product I think may be usefull is lowfat cottage cheese. It's loaded with protein and it's cheap and can add variety to your diet. However, it's also got quite a bit of sodium and lactose. Again, I'd reserve that for someone trying to pack on mass. And even at that I'd probably only consider it something to add variety or an option when you are on the go and/or without food. It's easy to pop into a grocery store and buy a thing of cottage cheese for $1.99 and have yourself a 50g serving of protein. In the offseason that can fly.
                        www.centopani.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan Centopani View Post
                          Hammer,
                          Be careful with carb intake preworkout. The last thing you want is to spike your insulin and go through your workout with low blood sugar. If you must, stick to carbs with a low glycemic index. Post workout is undoubtedly a great time for carb intake. Your supplement regimine looks pretty sound. Personally, when I have tried caseinates in the past before best they seem to just sit in my stomach all night and I wake up with a heavy stomach and have no appetite. I actually prefer a light stomach when I sleep as your not gonna burn muscle in your sleep but it is an excellent time for fat burning and this is definitely better accomplished on a light stomach. BCAA are great during your workouts or first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Be sure to get a good fish oil supplement. Life extension makes a good pharmaceutical grade fish oil as does renew life. You may want to consider throwing in a liver cleansing product. Because of the increased amounts of food we eat, the supps we take and even the toxins in the air and our water, everyone would benefit from a liver cleansing product. People don't realize the value of a liver that is functioning at peak levels. Simply put, the better your liver is functioning, the better you will burn fat and the more efficient your body will be at producing glycogen. Liv-52 is a good ayurvedic supplement. Also, an herbal combo of schisandra chinesis, rosemary, and milk thistle works great as well. Take my advice and try a liver cleansing product and tell me that you don't lean out more easily.

Thank you so much for the advice and opinions Evan. You are definitely an awesome bb'er and person. You rock dude
                          MOVE ON!!!! - BlueDevil

Comment

• Evan- I am aware that you have a normal job like most people so could you give me an example of your daily schedule and how you fit your meals and training into a typical work day.
                            thanks

Comment

• Evan,

Just wondering if you were or are a fan of Vince Gironda, your high protein and fat diet approach is much like his approach of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I didnt know if u were a fan or if this is a mere coincidence.

Just curious, take care, and ur doing a wonderful job on the forum.

P.S I notice u frequently talk about college, what college did u go to and what was ur major???????

Comment

• Originally posted by meatball View Post
                                Evan- I am aware that you have a normal job like most people so could you give me an example of your daily schedule and how you fit your meals and training into a typical work day.
                                thanks
                                Meatball,
                                It goes like this:

7:30 a.m. wake up
                                8:00 meal 1
                                8:30 at work
                                11:00 meal 2
                                1:30 p.m. meal 3
                                3:30 meal 4
                                4:30 out of work
                                5:00 - 6:30 in the gym
                                6:30 meal 5