No announcement yet.

Q and A with Layne Norton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read your links Laziebone085. It lead me to do some additional research and I found this excellent series by Lyle McDonald called Overtraining, Overreaching and all the Rest http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...st-part-8.html along with Active Versus Passive Recovery http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...-recovery.html

After reading everything I think I can work out as I have been for 4 weeks and then back off for 2 weeks lifting lighter 50% to 70% and then going back to 4 weeks all out again. Hopefully by doing this I can avoid down time and injury. For this week I have decided rest is what I need.

Thanks for helping me take my training to hopefully a more mature level then just balls to the wall all the time..lol I still may need to tweak things but I think this is a good start. Maybe Layne will have some additional comments as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanguard1965 View Post
      After reading everything I think I can work out as I have been for 4 weeks and then back off for 2 weeks lifting lighter 50% to 70% and then going back to 4 weeks all out again. Hopefully by doing this I can avoid down time and injury. For this week I have decided rest is what I need.
      I'd just say to listen to your body, if you feel that you need to rest then you should. Sometimes this might occur after a month of hard training, sometimes longer. If you periodise your training into cycles so you know what is planned, this allows you to factor in recovery time or easier sessions.

Personally I tend to train in 6wk mesocycle's before I do a deload and move onto my next phase of training.

Comment

• Thanks Mini Forklift. Its funny cause the guys at work joke around that they saw me on TV.

I lift things up I put them down is the big joke, however when your bodybuilding naturally you need to really know your stuff if you want to be the best you can be. Its far more complicated then, "I pick things up and put things down!" To add to this there is so much broscience out there it makes it even harder to find the stuff that matters.

That's why I appreciate guys like Layne who help people cut through all the BS. I debated on trying to cut for my first show on my own but figure hiring Layne is an investment in me and I will learn a lot from it.

Its also great to have guys like yourself and Laziebone085 helping people figure stuff out. Much appreciated guys!

Comment

I read your links Laziebone085. It lead me to do some additional research and I found this excellent series by Lyle McDonald called Overtraining, Overreaching and all the Rest http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...st-part-8.html along with Active Versus Passive Recovery http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...-recovery.html

Thanks for helping me take my training to hopefully a more mature level then just balls to the wall all the time..lol I still may need to tweak things but I think this is a good start. Maybe Layne will have some additional comments as well.
          Lyle knows his stuff as well as Blade and Layne. All VERY informative guys that all skin the cat a different way. Its about finding what is optimal for you and understanding the Science that is out there.

There is no cookie cutter plan, everything has to be modified to the individual. I am glad my information helps, but remember YOU GROW OUT OF THE GYM NOT IN THE GYM. time off helps and will aid your progress.

I am just a Scivation representative so I am here to assist layne because he gets the same questions in this thread over 100 times, but people just don't take the time to go back and read it while he has to repeat himself all the time!

hope my info helps. I will chime in here or there but this is LAYNES thread, i am not taking away from his knowledge because he is simply a guru.

Comment

Thanks Mini Forklift. I lift things up I put them down is the big joke, however when your bodybuilding naturally you need to really know your stuff if you want to be the best you can be. Its far more complicated then, "I pick things up and put things down!" Its also great to have guys like yourself and Laziebone085 helping people figure stuff out. Much appreciated guys!
            No worries buddy, always here to help anyone that wants it. That is, after all why most of us are on here. I'm a lifetime nattie as well (35yrs old in a few months), sure we may take longer to get the results but you I have always said you can't put a price on health; when that's gone you really do have nothing.

Comment

• hey Lane,

in order to gain weight one should calculate his caloric baseline to see what macro values he should be consuming and then calculate the caloric baseline of the weight he wants to achieve and see the difference in macro's value. that way one can know the amounts he needs to increase. am i right?

Comment

• hey Layne,
                when working out 4x a week, would the following split be a wise option ??

mo: upper body/emphasis on incline bb press (+additional upper body exercises like rows, dips etc.)
                tu: off
                we: lower body/emphasis on frontsquats (+additional lower body exercises like leg press, hams etc.)
                thu: off
                fr: upper body/emphasis on military press (+additional upper body exercises...)
                sa: lower body/emphasis on deadlifts (+additional lower body exercises...)
                su: off

cardio: 2x per week hiit on off days

what dou you think ??

thanks in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by Marc_Nbg View Post
                  hey Layne,
                  just thought my training routine over. im really not a big fan of only 1x/week but 2x/semms pretty stressful to me, too.

so i thought about doing every muscle 1x every 5 days.
                  it would be something like this:

mo: chest, arms
                  tu: legs
                  we: off
                  thu: shoulders, back
                  fr: off
                  sat: starting all over again

cardio: hiit 2x per week

so bacically id be doing 2 on - 1 off - 1on -1 off- start again. which trains each muscle once every 5 days.

what do you think about that ?

thank you so much for caring about all these questions
                  Originally posted by Marc_Nbg View Post
                  Hi Layne,
                  if id be able to hit the gym only 4x a week, which split would you suggest ?

split a:
                  mo: upper body
                  tu: lower
                  thu: upper
                  sa: lower

or (since legs are my strong part) split b:

mo: chest, shoulders, tris
                  thu: back, bis
                  sa: chest shoulders, tris

mo: back, bis
                  thu: chest, shoulders, tris
                  sa: back, bis

thank you very much
                  ohhh i forgot the last version...

split c:
                  mo: upper body power
                  wed: lower body/legs (legs only once a week because i have naturally strong legs)
                  fr: chest, shoulder, tris
                  sa: back, bis

sorry for so much asking, Layne but i just appreciate your advice

thanks a lot
                  hey Layne,
                  when working out 4x a week, would the following split be a wise option ??

mo: upper body/emphasis on incline bb press (+additional upper body exercises like rows, dips etc.)
                  tu: off
                  we: lower body/emphasis on frontsquats (+additional lower body exercises like leg press, hams etc.)
                  thu: off
                  fr: upper body/emphasis on military press (+additional upper body exercises...)
                  sa: lower body/emphasis on deadlifts (+additional lower body exercises...)
                  su: off

cardio: 2x per week hiit on off days

what dou you think ??

thanks in advance
                  Bro..

Really!?

I know its one thing to ask a question, but repeating the same thing over and over is ludicrous.

Have you read ANY of layne's training articles on any of the sites he writes for!?

he says the same thing everytime and has repeated it in this thread multiple times

"The body is too diverse to know how each routine will work for a different person, there is no optimal program for any human, its about TRIAL AND ERROR and finding what works best for you"

Layne can say "yes" or "no", but how does he know how well it responds to you and what gains you get from that program assuming your training and diet are in check!?

Sometimes you have to learn on your own, and with that you will find your best results because you will know what works for YOU. Layne can't read your body or your mind, only you can determine your strength, energy, and mood through various programs and various caloric intakes.

Time to learn YOUR bodyl

Comment

• yes, youre right. im sorry.

these were just some routines that came to my mind in the last days......

but i think im gonna go with the last one

Comment

• You learn through trial and error ~ what works for you might not work optimally for someone else. People's recovery abilities are different as is the speed of muscular adaptation.

Example: If you saw a guy with massive arms in the gym, and you went and asked him to tell you how he built them he would simply be telling you his story. That's what worked for him, that's how he built them. That isn't your story, if you were a writer you couldn't just take the same idea and use it as your own. Find your own way of doing things based on established theories and common knowledge. Read, research, ask questions by all means but at the end of the day you have to figure it all out and put it into action !!

Comment

• Layne, I know that you mentioned HIIT as the best method of cardio to maintain muscle mass while cutting along with of course a good diet. Can you explain to me in terms of physiology why HIIT is better than the low intensity 30-45 minute cardio that most pro's do? Also is there a cardio routine you would recommend in terms of just starting up before progressing into more intense cardio?

Comment

• Layne you have the most educational column in MD Magazine! Its a great read evey month!

Comment

• Originally posted by ablevins View Post
                            Layne-

What are your thoughts on post-workout nutrition?

Is consuming carbs before a protein shake more efficient than the other way around?
                            just take them together
                            BioLayne LLC
                            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

Hi Layne,

Just wanted to say how great it is that you invest your time answering questions for people. You are by far my favorite natural bodybuilder and with everything else you have been able to accomplish in your life a true insperation. I have been reading through this entire thread and have learned a lot however I have a question. When you eat you main meals 4 to 5 hours apart with the carb/BCAA bolus in between, I take it you need to ensure you eat enough protein to ensure you get 3.5g of leucine to maximize protein synthesis. If your ever in doubt any issue with adding a scoop of BCAA's just to make sure your getting enough?

Thanks,
                              Vanguard
                              you can do that, but if you are getting in 30-40g of good quality protein in at each meal you are going to hit that threshold pretty much no problem

Thanks for the kind words
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Banana & a protein shake = demands met.

Comment

Working...
                                X