Q and A with Neil Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q and A with Neil Hill

I want to announce that U.K. bodybuilding guru Neil Hill will be here for his Q and A sections at MD, who lives in West Wales, U.K., has joined Team MD and will be writing a monthly column starting next month.

In 2002, Neil turned pro in the U.K. and won the Light-heavyweight and Overall class at the Welsh Championship. He was known for his extreme condition and balanced physique.

Neil.jpgNeil has been involved in the sport for the last 21 years. For the past 16 years, Neil has owned his own gym in Tenby, West Wales called ‘The Dungeon.’ As a personal trainer and nutritionist, Neil has had great success internationally in turning amateurs in Europe into pros and bringing athletes in top condition to the stage! This includes Flex Lewis and most recently, Zack Khan. And most recently in the United States, 2009 National Welterweight Champion Shavis Higa.

Neil is also working with Hidetada Yamagishi as he prepares for the 2010 Phoenix Pro in February, and has recently been signed as the official trainer to Team Gaspari athletes who choose to use Neil for their contest prep.

Got a Question for Neil, post it here....

Hey Neil, Just wanted to say I admire your unorthodox style of training Flex Lewis. Those new videos seemed like Flex is really making improvements and his new training is showing significant progress.

Do you also make Flex's nutrition as well? If you do, what is his nutrition like pre contest? I have seem your beliefs for training, but I am curious to find out your aspects on how to diet for a show. Thanks for the time and good luck for 2010.

Comment

WELCOME COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      It ain't bout how hard you're hit, it's bout how hard you can get hit and keep movin forward."

Comment

Hi Neil.

What is your training system?

Comment

Hey Neil

In the ongoing life of a bodybuilder, how does one know WHEN their body is ready to make a small increase in calories?

2-Swole

Comment

Welcome!!

Comment

Hi Neil, youre an awesome nutritionist, got 2 qs

1) do you believe in separating fats and carbs when dieting for a show

2) do you have starchy carbs in the first 2 or 3 meals at, and the rest fibrous carbs, or do you think you can evenly space out starchy carbs throughout the day as long as its within your range for dieting?

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMAN View Post
                Hey Neil, Just wanted to say I admire your unorthodox style of training Flex Lewis. Those new videos seemed like Flex is really making improvements and his new training is showing significant progress.

Do you also make Flex's nutrition as well? If you do, what is his nutrition like pre contest? I have seem your beliefs for training, but I am curious to find out your aspects on how to diet for a show. Thanks for the time and good luck for 2010.
                Hi TurboMAN!! tHANKS FOR THE QUESTIONS.
                Yes I do Flex's complete contest preping, diet, training, supplementation etc.
                As with Flex's diet, of course I cant say exaclly what we do through out the whole diet "but" about 55% of his carbs come from Oatmeal, around 20% from rice, 10% from sweet potato and the remainding from Fibrous carbs. As with his proteins they are consumed from Salmon, talipia, steak, chicken Eggs and Gaspari's Myofusion and Interpro.
                around 35-40 grams of EFA and some fresh friuts.
                Balance is the KEY to life so I believe a balance diet will keep you healthy inside as well as outside.

Comment

Originally posted by ukstrongman View Post
                  Hi Neil, youre an awesome nutritionist, got 2 qs

1) do you believe in separating fats and carbs when dieting for a show

2) do you have starchy carbs in the first 2 or 3 meals at, and the rest fibrous carbs, or do you think you can evenly space out starchy carbs throughout the day as long as its within your range for dieting?
                  I do separate some clients with their fats and carbs "but" it really depends how their body types accept those foods. But as a rule I keep them together.
                  Again it really depends on the body how it holds onto those calories, but I would normally keep the carbs flowing in right up to around 4 hours before they go to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by danimon069 View Post
                    Hi Neil.

What is your training system?
                    Thanks for taking the time to shoot me a question. My Training system is called Y3T. Its basically designed to hit the working Muscle from 3 different angles, Keeping your muscle under stress resulting in consistant muscle growth.

Comment

Originally posted by 2-Swole View Post
                      Hey Neil

In the ongoing life of a bodybuilder, how does one know WHEN their body is ready to make a small increase in calories?

2-Swole
                      If your training, eating and sleeping has been consistent and you have not been over training, which is one of the main contributors for inconsistent growth, then i suggest every 6 weeks you make some changes to your daily food intake.
                      keeping a fine eye on your fat levels through the mirror etc is very important, But if you increase your healthy fats up another 5grams and up your carb intake by another 30-40 grams to your original daily food intake and keep it there for say 10-14 days. keep an eye on your fat levels and if your fat levels have stayed the same then hold it there for around 6-8 weeks, If they have increased drop the carbs and fats by half and again hold it there for 10-14 days. But remember every one has a limit before the intake in calories have to stay constant and kept at a level point,

Comment

hi neil
                        what do you think of the supplement DIM diindolylmethane, to help metabolize estrogens and optimize testosterone.
                        thanks

Comment

how many calories does zack khan take in off season.
                          cheers

Comment

Hi, Neil.

Will you be working with any amateur British bodybuilders in preparation for the UKBFF Finals and any other UKBFF events?

Comment

Hey I have a question about dieting (your favorite Ive always had lower ab fat (gut), even adding cardio to my training hasnt done much, but now im doing a high fat no carb diet (not keto but similar, its suppose to increase your testosterone by the high fats and in a way have your body in a keto to trim the fat, and your carb days get huge spikes to pack on the muscle) been doing it for awhile and it seems to be working, ive been getting strength gains, muscle size staying and getting fuller, but in the back of my head I know a diet with carbs has to be better? I know my body is very carb sensitive, I mean even with a little bit of oats I feel bloated and sleepy....yea its that bad, but on my diet I feel super energized all day and no bloat? If I did construct a diet when would be the best and only times I should be taking in carbs? Im about 200 pounds with 15-20 percent bodyfat. Would a diet like this would be benficial? Or should I just stick to whats working at the moment?

Meal 1
                              3 whole eggs
                              1 casein shake or cottage cheese
                              2 serv olive oil
                              1 scoop oats
                              1 slice of bread w/ spread (pb and j)

Meal 2
                              Steak
                              salad
                              1 serv olive oil
                              1 med potato
                              1 serv cottage cheese

Meal 3
                              Protein shake (with glutamine)
                              potatoes or oatmeal
                              1-2 fruits

Meal 4
                              Chicken Breast
                              1 serv olive oil
                              1 scoop oats

Meal 5
                              cottage cheese
                              1 serv olive oil

Thanks so much hopefully I can finally figure this thing out, rofl.

Comment

Working...
                              X