Best Options to Cool Gym Garage in Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Options to Cool Gym Garage in Summer

I'm going to be working out in my 2 car standard non-AC garage. I am in Northern VA, it has been a lovely spring, the best ever, much more like New York/New England in the Northeast where I am from. But it's going to get muggy soon, and my schedule allows for a midday workout. Fans are not going to cut it.

So what is the best option? To me it seems a portable AC, which for a standard 2 car garage, probably 14,000 BTUs. An Air Cooler in this humid region probably won't suffice.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    My Journal:

What you describe is pretty much what I do. I do however, start the workout before I turn A/C on. Helps to loosen everything up.

Comment

Do you have any type of simple construction skills? This weekend, I’m cutting out an opening in the side of my garage wall, right next to an electrical outlet and I’m installing one of those AC units you’d put in an apartment window. Just have to pull out a little vinyl siding and recut/replace afterwards.
      I stop me....no one else does.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
        Do you have any type of simple construction skills? This weekend, I’m cutting out an opening in the side of my garage wall, right next to an electrical outlet and I’m installing one of those AC units you’d put in an apartment window. Just have to pull out a little vinyl siding and recut/replace afterwards.
        Damn Derek, that sounds like a practical easy to do suggestion.
        I hate to admit it, but you have some decent problem solving skills.
        I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

I have a 12000 and 10000 unit in my garage. We have been in high 80s/90s here in LA and has been a savior. I dont mind the heat but im training clients in there too so need to make it comfortable for them. the 12000 wasnt really enough so i grabbed another 10000 the other day
          www.BradRoweFit.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Rowe View Post
            I have a 12000 and 10000 unit in my garage. We have been in high 80s/90s here in LA and has been a savior. I dont mind the heat but im training clients in there too so need to make it comfortable for them. the 12000 wasnt really enough so i grabbed another 10000 the other day
            A couple questions. What’s the DOE rating on your 12K and 10K unit? What’s the size of your garage?

Comment

For a 2 car garage, I assume 14,000 BTUs is enough right?
              Anything else I need to pay attention to spec wise or just BTUs?
              My Journal:

Comment

Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
                For a 2 car garage, I assume 14,000 BTUs is enough right?
                Anything else I need to pay attention to spec wise or just BTUs?
                Nowadays, most of these AC units have a DOE btu rating...at least in the U.S. You’ll see that the unit will say 12000/8000btu, or 12000/10000btu. The difference in those numbers is, how many btu’s it takes to cool off the hot air that the AC unit itself generates while running. Spend a little more money to get a good unit. Cheap ones can be rated as low as 12000/6500. I’m installing a 15000btu window unit, because you can buy them for the same price as a 10000btu portable unit. A little extra upfront work involved, but ends up being more bang for the buck. All depends on your construction skills.

Comment

Working...
                X