Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The gym I trained at in 1982 (derilict photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gym I trained at in 1982 (derilict photos)

Came across a video looking at derilict old building and found my old gym. Here are a couple of stills.

It was called the Spartan Weightlifting Club and was in operation from 1948 - 2008 and was pretty much Scotland's oldest gym
    It was part of a swimming pool complex and the building can't be demolished so the basic shape of the gym lays intact.

- They had squat, deadlift and bench press and a couple of leg machines and a pulldown. It was mainly barbells, dumbells and benches. Everything was set up perfectly for such a small space and my punk ass was looked after by the older guys. The bench they had was on that was donated by Reg Park. You can see the chin up bar. No cardio equipment. I remember a signed photo of Sean Connery on the wall. It was closed not because it wasn't doing well, but that the whole complex had to close. They promised a new location, but that was unfullfilled.

The changing room was tiny and the mirror there was even smaller. I remember Bob a coach there used to carefully place his wig on in front of that tiny mirror. Not shy about it at all. I used to always hang my coat on the rigfht side of the pic.

Anyway. Thought I'd share.

spartan.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-23 Exploring Aberdeen's Abandoned Swimming Baths.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-23 Exploring Aberdeen's Abandoned Swimming Baths.png
    Attached Files
    *Brotherhood of iron *

Wouldn't take much to get that joint back in action....

Comment

i think they could bring that place back, if they did it right, i'm just backin' what u said harmankardon, i just said it in a dif way, lol
      MY KING OF KINGS

Comment

Originally posted by harmankardon View Post
        Wouldn't take much to get that joint back in action....
        That's what I was thinking

Comment

I feel sad, that place must have so many stories and athletes.

It's funny how the mirrors are kept impeccable.
          http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Sounds like the kind of place we used to have at least one or two of in every city in the USA at one time - hardcore and no frills, just heavy weights for guys who wanted to get huge and powerful,
            Muscular Development Online Editor
            FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Comment

1948 is a long time ago

The 57 year old guy I trained with for 6 months before I found out he was 7 x Mr Scotland and 1 x Mr Britain. He didn't want to boast.
              I was 20
              *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post
                1948 is a long time ago

The 57 year old guy I trained with for 6 months before I found out he was 7 x Mr Scotland and 1 x Mr Britain. He didn't want to boast.
                I was 20
                I loved the old pics and I consider it to be sacred ruins of a great civilization that mysteriously vanished
                Wouldn't take more then a few benches squat racks and no frills wts, to revive the ol' gym.

I trained at a small version of that when I started with a bunch of powerlifters.
                The gym was a former WWII era ammo/gun storage room with iron bars on the 1 small window in front.
                The door to the place was heavy, thick steel with a big sliding dead bolt on it.

It was the one place I learned to really train legs and up my basic lifts.
                I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

I loved the old pics and I consider it to be sacred ruins of a great civilization that mysteriously vanished
                  Wouldn't take more then a few benches squat racks and no frills wts, to revive the ol' gym.

I trained at a small version of that when I started with a bunch of powerlifters.
                  The gym was a former WWII era ammo/gun storage room with iron bars on the 1 small window in front.
                  The door to the place was heavy, thick steel with a big sliding dead bolt on it.

It was the one place I learned to really train legs and up my basic lifts.
                  These gyms were where you learned from old guys. You didn't fuck about unless you were ribbing someone for a failed lift. All types trained together. REAL DIVERSITY not this bullshit selected diversity you see nowadays. No cardio. Nobody ever took photos. No lockers. You felt safe.

This gym is part of a huge 1930s complex that is empty to this day. Steps to put a lot of money into the complex. I'd love a gym to be part of it.
                  Here is video. The gym bits are later on.

8.20 onwards
                  *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

These gyms were where you learned from old guys. You didn't fuck about unless you were ribbing someone for a failed lift. All types trained together. REAL DIVERSITY not this bullshit selected diversity you see nowadays. No cardio. Nobody ever took photos. No lockers. You felt safe.

This gym is part of a huge 1930s complex that is empty to this day. Steps to put a lot of money into the complex. I'd love a gym to be part of it.
                    Here is video. The gym bits are later on.

8.20 onwards
                    I'm pretty sure I trained on some versions of "select fitness" machines. Good smooth reps.
                    That video reminds me of the old Manchester NH YMCA where I first trained with good bodybuilders.

You're 100% right that these gyms came from the era where experienced members helped the rookies.
                    Trainers and contest prep gurus will blast me, but, that was a better system.
                    Yes, you did your own diet and workouts BUT after you got some solid advice.
                    You spotted the other lifter , he when he needed a spot.

I remember posing in a store room that was in the back of the locker room.
                    They had a decent spot light with a full length mirror and a smaller one to see your back poses.
                    We'd sit around and critique each other after each pose.

At the contest, we'd even help with applying oiling and pumping up.
                    Of course, when you hit the stage, it was a battle.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I trained on some versions of "select fitness" machines. Good smooth reps.
                      That video reminds me of the old Manchester NH YMCA where I first trained with good bodybuilders.

You're 100% right that these gyms came from the era where experienced members helped the rookies.
                      Trainers and contest prep gurus will blast me, but, that was a better system.
                      Yes, you did your own diet and workouts BUT after you got some solid advice.
                      You spotted the other lifter , he when he needed a spot.

I remember posing in a store room that was in the back of the locker room.
                      They had a decent spot light with a full length mirror and a smaller one to see your back poses.
                      We'd sit around and critique each other after each pose.

At the contest, we'd even help with applying oiling and pumping up.
                      Of course, when you hit the stage, it was a battle.
                      It's easy for us to say our early days were better. The truth is that we'd love to have the equipment of today.

One thing for certain. You had to 'have something about you' to train back then.
                      *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

cool readin' what yall say in this thread
                        MY KING OF KINGS

Comment

It's easy for us to say our early days were better. The truth is that we'd love to have the equipment of today.

One thing for certain. You had to 'have something about you' to train back then.
                          In the late 70's , I was a sprinter in New England (states) AAU track meets.
                          The event divisions were open and age groups .
                          One of the best masters athletes was pole vaulter "Boo" Morcom ( 1948 Olympian)
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo_Morcom

Most AAU meets around Boston, were low key, informal events.
                          So, I was able to speak often with ol' Boo.
                          He gave me some timeless wisdom , I've applied to bodybuilding.

" What age takes away, new technology gives back."
                          He loved the advances of plastic fibers that greatly improved the poles in vaulting.

I revised it a tad to apply to my bodybuilding life
                          "What age takes away from my workouts, the new machines give back..

Comment

In the late 70's , I was a sprinter in New England (states) AAU track meets.
                            The event divisions were open and age groups .
                            One of the best masters athletes was pole vaulter "Boo" Morcom ( 1948 Olympian)
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo_Morcom

Most AAU meets around Boston, were low key, informal events.
                            So, I was able to speak often with ol' Boo.
                            He gave me some timeless wisdom , I've applied to bodybuilding.

" What age takes away, new technology gives back."
                            He loved the advances of plastic fibers that greatly improved the poles in vaulting.

I revised it a tad to apply to my bodybuilding life
                            "What age takes away from my workouts, the new machines give back..
                            True
                            Injuries and niggles don't always appreciate squats and bench press
                            *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

It could be called will. The will that is necessary to conquer new and unexplored terrain.
                              http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Working...
                              X