I miss the Night Of Champions aka NOC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss the Night Of Champions aka NOC

Hey Bros I am having a Howard moment, Any of you older guys who have ever attended the Night Of Champions know what I am talking about. The BUZZ on show day was unlike any other bodybuilding contest ever. About 40 guys in the show and it was "Bodybuilding Only" and there was always an unknown new star to be discovered on stage at the Beacon Theater in the middle of NYC! The crowd was rabid and loud,they either loved you or hated you. Promoter Wayne Demilia really dressed things up,one year Denise Masino came on stage via motorcycle and another time they broke fake headstones of guys who went to the WBF! Guys walking around in T Michael gear and throngs of fans on the streets waiting to meet their favorite bodybuilder! This was the era when bodybuilding was king and the top pros were living legends! Poor kids today will never experience this type of mania!

ive never been to a show but NOC sounds awesome :>
    The world's best spoon's player

Comment

It was everything you said it was.. and more! (Went to my first one in 1990 ...It was Dorian’s debut and Mo Mo won it ... was crazy! Beckles... Phil Hill... I took a ton of pics (if you google it half the pics are the ones I took) me and Danny Padilla LoL he’s pretty short!
      http://www.facebook.com/michael.arvilla?ref=profile

Comment

Originally posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
        Hey Bros I am having a Howard moment, Any of you older guys who have ever attended the Night Of Champions know what I am talking about. The BUZZ on show day was unlike any other bodybuilding contest ever. About 40 guys in the show and it was "Bodybuilding Only" and there was always an unknown new star to be discovered on stage at the Beacon Theater in the middle of NYC! The crowd was rabid and loud,they either loved you or hated you. Promoter Wayne Demilia really dressed things up,one year Denise Masino came on stage via motorcycle and another time they broke fake headstones of guys who went to the WBF! Guys walking around in T Michael gear and throngs of fans on the streets waiting to meet their favorite bodybuilder! This was the era when bodybuilding was king and the top pros were living legends! Poor kids today will never experience this type of mania!
        Thanks for the visual reminder of the glory days of pure bodybuilding.
        I attended a couple NOC's back in the day.
        I know some felt NOC promoter , Wayne Demillia was a douchebag , but he knew how to promote a great contest.

I remember that awesome pic of Lee Haney doing a front lat spread over a man hole cover on a NY street.
        THAT was bodybuilding and the NPC was one event that gloried it.
        Today people forget that the Weider IFBB mission statement was bodybuilding as the "stand alone" feature sport, at all contests.
        I want to see mostly bodybuilding, the ol' NOC. That kicked ass.
        NOT a show that's 2/3 swimsuit pageant with some bodybuilding added on .

Last edited by Howard; June 26th, 2020, 10:58 AM.
        I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Wayne is a great guy and a good friend, he is a great part of the history of bodybuilding, going way back to the beginning's of Arnold. He probably knows the Weider brothers and Arnold better than anybody else as he worked so close to them... and don't believe all the crap you hear against Wayne.

Many bodybuilders during his time still respect him very much, contrary to what is said.

I speak to Wayne regularly and I must say, the stories that he tells me are unbelievable... It was a incredible time back then and the NOC was a gem of a contest!!

He has worked close to the greatest bodybuilders in the history of the sport... he is one of the main factors why the Olympia is still going strong today. Remember he promoted the Mr. Olympia between 1984 and 2003.

As everybody knows he is back in the sport with the IFBB (Rafael Santonja) heading IFBB Physique America, the replacement for the NPC as an IFBB affiliate in the USA. The federation is still in its beginnings but growing at a good pace.
          Your portal to the bodybuilding world is just a click away!

Comment

Went to two of them myself. Great memories. Yes, waiting out on the street to meet the guys was nuts.

Comment

it was special for sure...with ironman they where the best shows after mro and arnold classic!

Comment

Never attended but the first show I was aware of was the 87 NOC and waited and waited to get that Flex with the results. 1.jpg

First Flex magazine I ever got
                SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
                2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

Originally posted by MICHAEL ARVILLA View Post
                  It was everything you said it was.. and more! (Went to my first one in 1990 ...It was Dorian’s debut and Mo Mo won it ... was crazy! Beckles... Phil Hill... I took a ton of pics (if you google it half the pics are the ones I took) me and Danny Padilla LoL he’s pretty short!
                  SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
                  2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

The NOC has the mystic that no other contest has managed to have
                    http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandpig View Post
                      Went to two of them myself. Great memories. Yes, waiting out on the street to meet the guys was nuts.
                      My 1st one was the 1988 NOC. Great show. It was on ESPN a few times during that era.
                      Hard to believe it was 32 yrs ago and in my opinion the pros competing had better cuts and lines then,

Last edited by Howard; June 26th, 2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

From 1996 we see Flex Wheeler at his peak winning the Arnold Classic.
                        As a fan, I don't really care who uses drugs. The extreme cycles only distort them and make big freaks.
                        This kind of physique should always be the gold standard of modern pro BB.

FYI, the Ironman and other pro contests from 25-35 yrs ago were "all bodybuilding".
                        Some were even shown on TV (Network and ESPN) along with BB shows like American Muscle.

It's pretty obvious this format was a bigger success then what we have today.

Last edited by Howard; June 26th, 2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecox View Post
                          Never attended but the first show I was aware of was the 87 NOC and waited and waited to get that Flex with the results. 1.jpg

FLEX was the first magazine I ever subscribed to.

Comment

24 years ago ( circa 1996) MD was officially called "All Natural Muscular Development"
                            In fairness to MD they had to scrap the format after a few months.
                            The natural bodybuilding community failed to support their own movement.
                            They had an absurd "purity test" with a circular firing squad for any that failed to meet their standard.
                            https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecox View Post

Mike went 1992 when Levrone won and went to everyone after that. Yelling Vince! to Vince Taylor across the street. Best part is the fans were not shy about thier love and respect for the bodybuilders. I met my first pro there Shawn Ray at this NOC we became friends over the years!

Comment

Working...
                              X