This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bndniron4evrgal View Post
    i've heard some overweight people never had a "hunger pain" until they started eating 'real' food, and it SCARED them, at first.

i've also heard 'feeling hungry' is a good sign that your metabolism is well.

until i learned how & what foods to pack or have on hand, it was a SCARRY feeling to have a sudden low blood sugar attack with NOTHING to eat/drink.

I HATE when i have an unplanned "LO" while i am driving or training.
    I keep baggies of whey and bars with good stats (I like Oh Yeah! wafer bars) on hand all the time for the unexpected.

Do you do this?

Comment

• You Have to Have That

Sometimes my life is life a broken record of phrases. I hear the same ones over and over again. Lately, the stuck-record phrase is, “You have to have that.”

The “that” can refer to any number of things. Lately, it’s been nachos, onion rings, birthday cake, cheese cake, funnel cakes. Yeah, I have a cake thing! I’ll admit it. I just won’t eat it!

When I go to a party “that” is usually an alcoholic drink.

You see, when I am feeling like cheating, I talk it out. I will tell whomever I am with at the time that I feel like having “that.” Nine times out of ten the person I am with will tell me I have to have “that.” Fat people tell me. Thin people tell me. There is no boundary here.

I went out to eat with a dear friend recently. We were going to get burgers at a place that serves the best onion rings. I told her on the way there, I want them, but I’m not going to order them. She said I HAD to. When I did not order any, she did. She said, “I’m going to order them so you HAVE to have one.”

The funny thing is, this is always counter productive to the people telling me this phrase. Tell me I HAVE to have something, and I don’t care how badly I want it or who it saves from sudden and immediate death, I will NOT have it!

The people in my closest circle know how hard I work. You almost become like a diet super hero when you lose as much as I did.

People are looking for your Kryptonite. If they can find it, and wave it in front of your face, they can eat poorly without guilt. They are free to self-destruct.

Any Super Man fan knows that Super Man does not willingly put himself in the line of Kryptonite. He avoids it, and he certainly doesn’t HAVE to have it.

And when the food arrived, my friend dangled a ring in front of my face, and said, “You have to have this. I ordered them for you. You have to eat just one.”

But she was wrong. I didn’t have to have it.

And I didn’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by FitAdina View Post
        I keep baggies of whey and bars with good stats (I like Oh Yeah! wafer bars) on hand all the time for the unexpected.

Do you do this?
        lol powermania has quit a story about carrying "baggies" of whey in her suitcase, on the airplane...............lol

yes, i have JAY ROBB bars, in the car, purse, etc...... he is ALL NATURAL no JUNK fillers.
        I'm workin on getting better K!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bndniron4evrgal View Post
          lol powermania has quit a story about carrying "baggies" of whey in her suitcase, on the airplane...............lol

yes, i have JAY ROBB bars, in the car, purse, etc...... he is ALL NATURAL no JUNK fillers.
          OH NO!

I never thought about the trouble little bags of powder might cause!!! And as a general rule, I've got one sitting on my seat in the car! HMMM!

Comment

• No Regrets

I got an E-mail from someone the other day that ended with, “…and never regret anything that made you smile.”

But I’m not so sure that I agree with this sentiment.

Looking back I can remember doing a lot of things that made me smile in the moment, but they did nothing to add to my happiness today.

I remember smiling while I ate junk food many times over. You see, it made me happy at the time, but it was really leading to depression.

I remember smiling when I went out with friends, because it was fun. But I was spending all my time with people who would never encourage me set foot in the doors of the gym.

If I had continued to live only for the moment I was in, I would not be the happy person I am today. Yes, I smiled and even had lots of happy moments…but I was dying on the inside.

It’s not like I look back and regret dinners with friends, donuts with my kids, popcorn at the movies. It’s just that now I recognize these things aren’t what make the moment.

Happiness is a choice, and I gave up a few smile-inducing moments along the way to find my happiness.

And here are the things I don’t regret:

I don’t regret going to the gym on days I didn’t feel like it.

I don’t regret eating broccoli while my friends ate fries.

I don’t regret working out till I thought I would get sick.

I don’t regret working out till I did get sick.

I don’t regret the things I gave up that got me here.

I don’t regret 4:00AM cardio.

And I don’t even regret missing a few opportunities along the way that would have made me smile at the time…because my life now is one big, giant smile.

I used to have to have events, food, stuff, and things to make me smile.

Now? Breathing makes me smile.

And I have no regrets.

Comment

• Since I have a gluten and dairy intolerance (and a few others) I can't use any traditional bars so I always have some hazelnuts, sunflower seeds (unsalted!), or fruit with me. Keeps me going! Love your blog!
              SnakeBite Racing

Comment

• You need a daily syndicated column in a newspaper. I wonder if US Today would be interested....

At the very least you need a column in FitnessRx.

Comment

• x2. Good idea Girly Muscle! I think people would be able to gain a lot of inspiration from what you have to say Adina.
                  SnakeBite Racing

Comment

• Originally posted by connstellation View Post
                    Since I have a gluten and dairy intolerance (and a few others) I can't use any traditional bars so I always have some hazelnuts, sunflower seeds (unsalted!), or fruit with me. Keeps me going! Love your blog!
                    Well, thank you!!!

I love that you're keeping a journal about being gluten intolerant. I think more people have that, but they just don't know it. I bet you have helped people you don't even know!

Comment

• Originally posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
                      You need a daily syndicated column in a newspaper. I wonder if US Today would be interested....

At the very least you need a column in FitnessRx.
                      Originally posted by connstellation View Post
                      x2. Good idea Girly Muscle! I think people would be able to gain a lot of inspiration from what you have to say Adina.
                      I had intended this thread to just be a copy and paste of my bb.com Blog. Yet every day someone says something that spurs the next idea and I end up writing something about a comment that was made here.

We all draw inspiration from each other...and from our favorite magazine, of course. FitnessRX for Women! WOO HOO!

Comment

• Originally posted by FitAdina View Post
                        Well, thank you!!!

I love that you're keeping a journal about being gluten intolerant. I think more people have that, but they just don't know it. I bet you have helped people you don't even know!
                        I can only hope that! I figured I'd put it out there that I have these intolerances and am therefore not able to eat the same way a normal person in the bodybuilding community does. I wanted to put my thread up so I could track my progress myself instead so that I would realize where I'd been and what I had been able to accomplish.

I expect you've helped inspire people to just get out there and do it. No excuses, no whining, just train, eat right, and enjoy your life.
                        SnakeBite Racing

Comment

• Originally posted by connstellation View Post
                          I can only hope that! I figured I'd put it out there that I have these intolerances and am therefore not able to eat the same way a normal person in the bodybuilding community does. I wanted to put my thread up so I could track my progress myself instead so that I would realize where I'd been and what I had been able to accomplish.

I expect you've helped inspire people to just get out there and do it. No excuses, no whining, just train, eat right, and enjoy your life.
                          And I put mine out there because my life is just SOOO much better now. I want someone to see that I'm just a normal, every day person who made some changes....and they can too!

Comment

• Eat clean. Lift heavy. Leave kind words. And smile.

I was reminded of something yesterday when I read some comments on my thread about inspiring and motivating people.

I saw where Connstellation had left a message for GirlyMuscle about the fact that people were probably inspired by her comments on my thread. (And I think she’s right!)

But that reminds me, I never really do know who’s watching me.

Every time we post, we can post words that build up or tear down…but no matter what we leave, others will come behind us and read our words. And the full impact of the words we leave may never be known to us. And would I leave the same words if I really thought about the fact that people will come behind me months from now and read my words?

But it goes beyond these forums…

When I grimace as I walk in the gym, who saw me? Who caught my sour attitude?

When I have a feeding frenzy at the all you can eat buffet, who saw me? Who thinks this is the way I eat all the time?

But by the same token, who saw me smile as I walked in the gym yesterday? Who had a better day because they caught a contagious smile from me?

Or who saw me give up the chocolate AND coconut pie at work yesterday? Who will find strength to dig a little deeper because they saw me give up something I wanted?

We are all watched at one time or another. There are few times when we’re not watched.

Test it. Just try going to the store without make-up!

But here’s the thing. I act like someone is watching me even when there is no chance of it.

If I want to “sneak” junk food at home, I ask myself if I would do this if someone was watching me.

Before I set foot out of my car to go into my gym, I remind myself that someone is going to see me as I walk in…and they need my attitude to be in check. Each and every day.

After losing so much weight, everything I eat is scrutinized. I was asked one time if this bothers me. And you know? It doesn’t. Not one bit. It just serves to remind me to eat clean.

Where ever you go today, whatever you do, remember: someone is watching. And at the end of the day, what impression do you want to leave them with?

Or when someone wanders into your thread months from now, what words do you want to be there waiting for them?

Eat clean. Lift heavy. Leave kind words. And smile…because you never know who is watching you!

Comment

• Nice post! I just hope someone saw the look on my face when I was grinding out the last reps of my volume training this AM!
                              SnakeBite Racing

Comment

• So true. This is also true in our spoken word to others. It probably takes 100 nice comments to offset the harm done by one negative one. Guess mom was right about that one...if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Have you ever been in the grocery store and bougth something for the kids...a half gallon of ice cream, a pack of cookies...and felt extremely embarrassed if anyone sees it there? I do. That's not how I want to represent myself. (Then again I don't want to be the tyrant who doesn't allow cake and ice cream on the kids birthdays!)

Comment

Working...
                                X