Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FitAdina's Blog Spot

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    FitnessRX for Woman

    Today I thought I would share with you my success story as it appeared in the December 07 edition of FitnessRX for Women. The pictures I've attached are the pictures that ran with it.

    But before I share it, let me tell you this: it was not my idea to share my story. I only did it because The Nazi (OK that's not his REAL name, but I call him that because he pushed me SO hard)....anyway, because The Nazi challenged me to. I had met every challenge physically, so we he asked me to get my story in print, I had to do it.

    What I learned is this: if you have a story to tell, tell it. I had no clue people would want to know. But what I DO know is this....lots of you have a story to tell as well...and.....I'm waiting!!!

    Here's the story....

    The Lifestyle, Not the Diet


    It’s a lifestyle, not a diet.” Oh, how I used to hate that phrase. A phrase uttered by countless skinny girls with flat stomachs and perky little behinds.

    I was never skinny, little, or athletic. I thought you had to be born that way. I did not realize that from the time I was nine, I consistently made choices that led me into becoming the 5’5”, 256 pound woman that I was. I assumed some people were born with the genes that let them wear the jeans they wanted! I was just not one of those people. The lucky. The genetically gifted.

    I did lose weight twice in my young years. I knew what it was like to be thin, even if only for a moment. It’s just that I never dealt with the reasons that made me overweight in the first place, thus the weight flew back to my thighs like a homing pigeon back to base! I firmly believe that until we deal with what makes us overeat, we cannot heal ourselves from the disease of obesity.

    I decided to try the route of the pre-packaged meals. I dedicated myself to give two months without cheating, and an amazing thing happened in those two months. I learned what a portion size really was, and I never ate the same way again.

    Thanksgiving Day marked the end of the two months, and I was ready to cheat. I filled a plate to heaping, fully intending to eat that and go back for seconds. However, my body was now use to regular portions, and I could not eat even a third of what was in front of me.

    Next came the chocolate pie. I had waited two months for this moment. I took the generous size piece that had been cut for me. Slowly I brought the fork to my mouth, wanting to savor this moment. The shock of the sweetness made me shudder. Me! Surely this could not be so. I took a second bite, just to make sure. That was all I could eat.

    I had been worried that a day of cheating would get me off track. Send me spinning into a spiral of self-destruction. However, the next day I woke up craving my healthy food. The heavy food of the day before, although certainly delicious, left me feeling bloated and lethargic. My new smaller portion sizes of good food leave me feeling energized and alive.

    Along the way I also started going to the gym. I knew from research that we lose six pounds of muscle a decade after age thirty. Compound that with dieting, and I knew I had to get to the gym. I am proud when people say I don’t look like someone who lost a lot of weight. Lifting moderate weights shaped my physique so that I look like I have always been this size!

    Yes. The journey was long, but so worth it. I have become one of “those” people who can proudly say, “It’s a lifestyle, not a diet!”
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by FitnFirm View Post
      You must like bad girls then
      I like girls who speak their mind!

      Comment


      • #48
        My Life Is ______________??????

        I learned something about myself last week…

        I got up late to begin with, which is rare for me. Then I fiddle-farted around until I looked up and realized I had less than an hour till church started.

        I had not eaten breakfast, and I had not gotten ready.

        In the blink of an eye, I realized I had crossed another bridge. And this far into maintenance too!

        When faced with not enough time to eat AND look fabulous….I chose to go get ready! I chose to get a shower and put on make-up before I chose to eat.

        And I flashed back to the day before, and remembered that I didn’t eat meal number one until 12:30. Just too much going on to be bothered with eating!

        And it struck me…the girl who used to weigh 256 pounds would rather do a lot of things than eat!

        Then at church, the preacher said something that really got my wheels spinning. He said to fill in this blank: my life is _________?

        So, I was thinking….what is the answer to that?

        When I was a child the answer would have been: my life is sad.

        When I was a teenager: my life is scary.

        When I was a young adult: my life is over.

        When I was thirty: my life is pathetic.

        But now? Today?

        My life is: happy, joyful, fulfilled, inspiring…. My life is just beginning!

        I took the time to fix what was wrong in my life. Yes, struggles still come my way. Of course they do, but when you face them head on, they are sure easier to fix.

        Take a look at what’s around you. If you don’t like the answer to your question….it’s time to do some work, so you can fill in the bank with happy words! Inspiring words. Moving, touching, sentimental words.

        The struggles that brought me to my goal, also brought me to my happy! So when you are struggling, that’s just your body and your mind working overtime to help you fill in that blank!

        So keep at it! You never know what wonderful words are waiting to be written in your blank!

        Your life is __________________??!?!?

        Tell me. Leave it for me here. What is your life? I want to know.

        Comment


        • #49
          My life is unfolding.
          My life is moving forward.
          My life is becoming what I've always wanted it to be.
          My life is happy.
          I am happy.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
            My life is unfolding.
            My life is moving forward.
            My life is becoming what I've always wanted it to be.
            My life is happy.
            I am happy.
            You are ALREADY happy, yet it's still unfolding...meaning...the best is yet to come! WOO HOO!!!! Way to be girlymuscle, way to be!

            I am proud of you!

            Comment


            • #51
              my life is rewarding
              my life is fulfilling
              my life is joyful
              my life is full of new challenges to overcome
              my life is clean and sober
              The task in front of you is never greater than the Power behind you.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by karenfromcali View Post
                my life is rewarding
                my life is fulfilling
                my life is joyful
                my life is full of new challenges to overcome
                my life is clean and sober
                Clean and sober? Clean and sober? WOO HOO!!!

                I happened to Blog about that on BB.com today...and I hate to throw a second Blog up there....this one's for you Karen!!!

                ****************************

                The Battle Continues

                I had an interesting talk with a dear friend of mine on Friday. You see, he spent years of his life addicted to Crack. But he has been clean for over nine years now, which makes him one of my own personal heroes. And aren’t those the best kind? The ones you actually know. Not just see about or read about. You actually get to know them.

                We were comparing stories. And it’s funny. Just like my classmate I told y’all about, he views what I did as harder than what he did. Yet, I am totally in awe of what my friend has accomplished.

                And so I said to him, “So few people do what you have done. You act like it is nothing, when really it is everything.”

                And it is. I really believe that.

                So he went on to tell me how he knows what he did is a big thing. About how many people come to meetings and don’t stick around very long. Very few left at the five year mark, and even fewer at the ten.

                And are you catching that? It’s been over nine years, and he still goes to meetings. And from talking to him, I can tell you, it’s numerous times a week.

                Because that’s how he keeps his sobriety. That’s how he stays clean.

                And y’all…that’s how he maintains.

                There are actually areas outside of weight loss were people have to work on maintenance.

                There are actually things in this world that are just as hard as losing and maintaining weight loss. We aren’t doing the hardest thing in the world, y’all.

                But the biggest lesson I learned through my friend? He told me, “I have to stay humble, or I go right back to hell. The minute I think I’ve conquered it, I’ve lost it.”

                So, let’s see. The minute I think I’ve conquered my battle with the bulge, and go back to eating the way I used to eat….hmmm…I’ve lost it.

                So…maybe, just maybe, never feeling like I’ve conquered it is key to my maintaining my loss.

                He goes to narcotics anonymous meetings to maintain while I go to the gym and eat healthy.

                And while we both focus on the ongoing battle, secretly we both know the other has won. We just don’t tell each other that.

                Battle on friends.

                Fight the good fight.

                Comment


                • #53
                  my life is full of laundry
                  my life is full of lessons
                  my life is full of oppurtunity
                  my strongman training
                  Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.


                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by FitAdina View Post
                    Clean and sober? Clean and sober? WOO HOO!!!

                    I happened to Blog about that on BB.com today...and I hate to throw a second Blog up there....this one's for you Karen!!!

                    ****************************

                    The Battle Continues

                    I had an interesting talk with a dear friend of mine on Friday. You see, he spent years of his life addicted to Crack. But he has been clean for over nine years now, which makes him one of my own personal heroes. And aren’t those the best kind? The ones you actually know. Not just see about or read about. You actually get to know them.

                    We were comparing stories. And it’s funny. Just like my classmate I told y’all about, he views what I did as harder than what he did. Yet, I am totally in awe of what my friend has accomplished.

                    And so I said to him, “So few people do what you have done. You act like it is nothing, when really it is everything.”

                    And it is. I really believe that.

                    So he went on to tell me how he knows what he did is a big thing. About how many people come to meetings and don’t stick around very long. Very few left at the five year mark, and even fewer at the ten.

                    And are you catching that? It’s been over nine years, and he still goes to meetings. And from talking to him, I can tell you, it’s numerous times a week.

                    Because that’s how he keeps his sobriety. That’s how he stays clean.

                    And y’all…that’s how he maintains.

                    There are actually areas outside of weight loss were people have to work on maintenance.

                    There are actually things in this world that are just as hard as losing and maintaining weight loss. We aren’t doing the hardest thing in the world, y’all.

                    But the biggest lesson I learned through my friend? He told me, “I have to stay humble, or I go right back to hell. The minute I think I’ve conquered it, I’ve lost it.”

                    So, let’s see. The minute I think I’ve conquered my battle with the bulge, and go back to eating the way I used to eat….hmmm…I’ve lost it.

                    So…maybe, just maybe, never feeling like I’ve conquered it is key to my maintaining my loss.

                    He goes to narcotics anonymous meetings to maintain while I go to the gym and eat healthy.

                    And while we both focus on the ongoing battle, secretly we both know the other has won. We just don’t tell each other that.

                    Battle on friends.

                    Fight the good fight.
                    This is so true. It happened to me. I lost the weight. 70 pounds of it! And I maintained for two years bouncing around in the 130s wearing a size 4. I made the mistake of thinking I'd conquered my weight problem. I took my eye off the ball. The first huge emotional upheaval in my life led me right back to the fridge and let me tell you, that 40 pounds came on quick. I swear I went to bed thin and woke up fat. That isn't gonna happen in the future. I've learned that lesson. I can never take my eye off the ball and I can never think I've got it licked.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Dabear View Post
                      my life is full of laundry
                      my life is full of lessons
                      my life is full of oppurtunity
                      And I hope you are taking advantage of those opportunities!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
                        This is so true. It happened to me. I lost the weight. 70 pounds of it! And I maintained for two years bouncing around in the 130s wearing a size 4. I made the mistake of thinking I'd conquered my weight problem. I took my eye off the ball. The first huge emotional upheaval in my life led me right back to the fridge and let me tell you, that 40 pounds came on quick. I swear I went to bed thin and woke up fat. That isn't gonna happen in the future. I've learned that lesson. I can never take my eye off the ball and I can never think I've got it licked.
                        AWESOME! And just like he had to do whatever it takes to stay clean and sober...we have to do whatever it takes to stya thin and fit. Good job, girl. Good job!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by FitAdina View Post
                          And I hope you are taking advantage of those opportunities!
                          they are providing me with lessons in patience
                          my strongman training
                          Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.


                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Dabear View Post
                            they are providing me with lessons in patience
                            Ten years from now, you won't look back and wish you had been less patient. So...that is not a bad thing. Not at all.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by FitAdina View Post
                              Ten years from now, you won't look back and wish you had been less patient. So...that is not a bad thing. Not at all.
                              its just taken this long to learn it.
                              and it is a wonderful thing
                              my strongman training
                              Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.


                              Comment


                              • #60
                                My life is my own.
                                My life is lived on my terms.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X