Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Nice but weight gainers really help. and they dont gain fat, if you do a nice enough cardio and the weight will help you a lot. Dymetrex weight gainers are really good. They were used and tested in universities like the united states naval academy in annapolis before they went public.

But really good thread.

Comment

Real Nice but weight gainers really help. and they dont gain fat, if you do a nice enough cardio and the weight will help you a lot. Dymetrex weight gainers are really good. They were used and tested in universities like the united states naval academy in annapolis before they went public.

But really good thread.

Comment

i have been lifting for a couple of years now and this is a smack in the face, man all the things you learn when you first start, and you tell yourself that you will never do, and what am i doing all thoes things. This is the best post i have read in a long time, and everyone that gave just a little add on info, thank you, bust all the thanks to the poster, you brought me back to my roots. this will hang on my wall in my office in a frame.

Comment

hey
          plz somebody help me . i'm having a hard time gaining weight . i'm 5'11" tall n jus 121 lbs . can any body tell me wat is the fast way to gain weight . can anybody suggest me a good supplement . plz help me out. i'm jus fucked up by being lanky .

Comment

Originally posted by yogesh View Post
            hey
            plz somebody help me . i'm having a hard time gaining weight . i'm 5'11" tall n jus 121 lbs . can any body tell me wat is the fast way to gain weight . can anybody suggest me a good supplement . plz help me out. i'm jus fucked up by being lanky .

eat bro...and then eat some more....
            if u train hard
            then protien = 1.5 x target bodywt = 1.5 x 150(example) = 225 grams
            carbs same as protien
            fats = 0.5 x bodywt = 0.5 x 121 = 60 grams(mainly
            healthy monounsaturated fats)....

divided into 5 or six meals a day...

when ever you plateau..increase 400 to 500 cal(either complex carbs or heathy fats) untill u reach your target body wt...

try looking for a good whey isolate, or mass gainer .... you can also try creatine monohydrate...
            Mike Arnold coaching/contest prep: [email protected]

Comment

i treid it creatine bro ( dr intensity ) but i gain weight only when i'm using it and when i stop having it . i again come to my intial stage . but anyways thanx for ur suggestion .expecting more frm u .

Comment

Dr intensity...basically just said......exactly what you should do.....eat eat eat eat...........and then when your full EAT.......
                All I need to do is be me , if you like me great if you don't then move along cause I don't have time for nonsense..... Lil Mama

Comment

Originally posted by The Student View Post
                  Good read!

BEGINNERS COMMON QUESTIONS ANSWERED!, By: Jay Thompson

I have been surfing alot of the sites and forums and have found many things to be consistent with beginners. Some of the common questions, with accompanying answers are listed below:

1) I just started bodybuilding and would like to know what supplements I need to take to get big!

There are three things that you need to concern yourself when beginning. Eating the right food and drinking enough water to keep your body functioning optimally; Training properly; and SLEEPING/RESTING! You must understand that you do not grow while working out. Your muscles grow in response to the stress placed upon them, ie. weight training.

2) What exercises should I do?

Assuming that you are trying to get big, you need to do basics. Chest=Incline Bench Press, Flat Bench Press, Dumbbell Flye, Dumbbell Pullovers, Dips. Back=Chins, DEADLIFTS, T-Bar Rows, One-Arm Dumbbell Rows, Low Pulley Rows. Biceps=Standing Barbell Curl, Alternate Dumbbell Curl. Forearms=Wrist Curls, Reverse Curls, Hammer Curls. Triceps=Close Grip Bench Press, French Curl, Dips, Skull Crushers. Quads=Squats, Leg Press, Front Squats. Hams=Stiff Legged Deadlifts, Ham Curl. Calves=All Variations of the Calf Raise. These are, in my opinion, the best exercises for each bodypart.

3) How do I lose the fat on my stomach?

The answer to all variations of this question is proper diet and proper training. Your abs don't just come to you when you get big enough. You need to work them from the beginning. Not only does a strong mid-section look good, it protects you from injury by stabilizing your trunk. Many of the people you hear complaining about lower back pain have a big gut! The fact is that you can't lose the fat on your stomach. You can only lose fat throughout your body. Doing 5,000 situps a day won't do any good without a good diet and cardio program.

4) How often should I lift?

Train each body part ONCE A WEEK! That's it. Train no more than 4 days a week. On the other days, eat, sleep, drink water and be happy.

5) I want to gain weight and get my six pack.

I saw this one today. This is a misnomer. You can either gain weight or get a six pack. You are going to have to choose. You really can't have the best of both worlds. In order to get big, you have to take in more calories than are required for maintenance. To cut, you must ingest less calories than maintenance while keeping protein high to prevent muscle loss. Of course once you have built size you can then work on getting cut.

6) Do weight gainers help?

I saw this question and HAD to respond. Weight gainers are a way for the supplement companies to trick the beginner easily. They post an ad with some FREAK and say that he made his gains using this weight gain! Really? Ask the model endorsing the product. By saying you need more calories to gain weight and offering weight gain shakes as the answer, beginners are confused into thinking that they NEED weight gainers to get big. Fact is, you just need plenty of real, good food. Eat tuna, chicken breasts, lean red meat, turkey, beans, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, fresh veggies, etc to get big. It is more beneficial for you to eat properly than to drink a weight gainer!

7) Why don't I get sore muscles after my workout?

It does not mean that you have not worked your muscles sufficiently if you don't get sore. Work at 100% intensity, with perfect form and you will get results!

8) I can't "feel" the exercise working.

This is usually heard when someone is performing with too much weight in poor form. You don't get the burn in the muscles you are working because you are working every other muscle except for the "target" muscle. For example, many people do curls with entirely too much weight and are bending over backwards to "lift" the weight! You are going to strain your back and/or shoulders, along with a host of other muscles. You might not pick up the heaviest weights in the gym, but using the proper weight for your strength, you will benefit in the long run! Take your ego to the club and your ass to the gym!

Author: Dan Gallapoo ( [email protected] )
                  Nice post. You mentioned that for a beginner, to only train 4 days per week. How do you manage to fit in all different body parts into your weight training on those 4 days. I.e, what do you train and on what days?? Chest/Back on one day.. or ???
                  "I can accept failure... But I can't accept not trying." - Michael Jordan

Comment

I read this and saw that you should only train each of your body parts once a week. What if you feel like your back is "lagging" compared to other parts due to front-mirror syndrome when you first started lifting?

Comment

Hello everybody. I have been training for about 7-8 months to get into better shape and to get myself prepared to step into the MMA world. I have had a very good trainer for the entire time and he had me start reading MD and told me to sign up on here so I can get more info to feed my brain. When I first started training I had no idea what I was doing. MD helped answer a lot of questions without having to actually ask them. My schedule now is based on information I have gotten not only from my trainer but from MD as well. I stick to a fairly tight diet. I eat every three hours, making sure I take in around 40 grams of protein per meal. I try to keep my carbs to a maximum of 2 carbs per lb. of bodyweight. I try to only take in simple carbs along with my protein shake after a workout so that I can spike my insulin levels. I haven't really been worrying too much about calories because I workout very hard. I usually do 16 sets per body part, and I workout on a set schedule each week where I do chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, off on Wednesday, shoulders on Thursday, biceps and triceps on Friday, legs and abs on Saturday, then off again on Sunday. So far I have gained about 15-20 lbs of muscle in the past 7-8 months, so I am happy with what I have done. But I am a worrisome person and I always think I am doing things wrong. So my question is: Is there anything I should change about what I am doing? Am I on the right track? Any suggestions and information you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I love to learn.

Comment

Should we be cutting creatine a week prior to a competition?
                        Those who can't, say YOU can't

Comment

I have noticed its very hard for me to practice good posture when doing a bent over row. I can arch my lower back just fine for squats, but when I try to arch(and by arch I am trying to describe my ass out, shoulders back, belly forward) with my knees slightly bent and my upper body almost parallel to the ground it forces my lower back to roll. The guy I was training with the other night was the one who brought this to my attention. This is the first time I have tried the bent over row like this. Normally I had my upper body elevated much higher which he said took away from my target area of the lats. I feel that my lower back has possibly over developed because of several years of lifting like an idiot. Please give me some opinions. I am going to get a deep tissue message tomorrow and I hope this will break up any knotted up muscle tissue if thats whats going on. Thanks in advance

Comment

Schneider-
                            See page one, you are giving us new guys a bad rep... Its pretty hard to miss, about 12'' of your screen and 30 mins of Tim's time was devoted to that very question.
                            Last edited by Evan Toland; April 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM. Reason: To add a reference

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider Fernandes View Post
                              How many meals do I eat in a day ?? how do I space them out ?? I have heard tha the professional body builders have 6 meals a day.
                              Bodybuilding for Beginners Part 1
                              By Tim Wescott

If you are thinking about embarking on a fitness or bodybuilding program, here are a few pointers you should know before you begin.

1.Consult your physician, especially if you are really out of shape or extremely overweight.)
                              2.Set realistic fitness goals and record them in a notebook.
                              3.Start off slowly.
                              4.Stick to the basics.
                              5.Commit to your program.
                              6.Weigh yourself and take measurements
                              7. Build a foundation (don't be tempted to follow an advanced routine, you will eventually get there if you are patient.)

Following this advice will be very helpful in the long run.

Lets begin with a program for the extremely underweight person. These are the people who can eat just about anything without gaining a pound. If you fall into this category you know how frustrating it can be to put on a single pound of muscle.
                              Don't be fooled into believing some ad in a muscle book telling how you can get huge muscles almost
                              overnight with very little effort.

You must work hard, stick to the basics, and eat more quality muscle building foods.

There are 3 basic different body types and some people have certain characteristics of all 3.

Let's review them and then design a program for all 3 types.

1. Ectomorph-Extremely thin with a very fast metabolism.
                              2. Mesomorph-Athletically built and usually classified as an easy gainer.
                              3. Endomorph- Usually overweight ,with a very slow metabolism.

We'll start with the Ectomorph.

Day #1
                              Upper body: Here are the exercises we'll be using, DON'T DEVIATE FROM THIS--Bench Press-3sets of 8 reps,
                              Barbell Row-3 sets of 8 reps
                              Barbell Press - 3 sets of 8reps
                              Barbell Curls-3 sets of 8 reps
                              Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets of 8 reps

Lowerbody:
                              Squats-3 sets of 8,10,12, reps.
                              Leg Extensions-3 sets of 10 reps
                              Calf Raises-5 sets of 10-25 reps
                              Crunches- 4 sets of 20 reps

And that's it.

The reason I stress not adding any other exercises to this routine is because, being extremely under weight you do not want to overwork, and you must conserve energy to re-build the torn down muscle tissue.

Now the matter of what to eat to feed those injured muscles. I would recommend eating every 3 hours or so. I know from personal experience this might not seem possible, but you must try to eat at least a little more until your body becomes acclimated to the new food intake.

We no longer label our 3 meals as breakfast , lunch, and dinner, because we will be eating at least 5 but preferably 6 meals a day., and they are now known as meals 1 - 6.

Ready?

Here goes :
                              Meal # 1:
                              4 whole eggs
                              2 slices wholegrain toast
                              1 banana
                              8oz. fat free milk.

Meal # 2:
                              1 can tuna on wholegrain bread with low fat mayo
                              1 green salad with low-fat,low-sugar dressing
                              1 orange
                              8 oz. fat free milk

Meal # 3:
                              Protein shake 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
                              2 whole eggs 1 scoop of ice cream
                              1 tbsp. peanut butter

Meal# 4:
                              Steak, chicken, or fish
                              1 baked potato
                              1 cup fibrous vegetables
                              8 oz. fat free milk.

Meal# 5:
                              1 chicken breast
                              1 cup veggies
                              1 Tbsp. olive oil

Meal # 6:
                              Another protein shake
                              1 Tbsp. natty Peanut butter

That should be enough for starters as you will probably have a hard time eating this amount.

Your workouts will be as follows:

Upperbody on Mon.& Thurs., lowerbody on Tues. and Fri. Rest on the
                              other three days,keep outside activities to a minimum so as not to burn excess calories needed to build muscle.

If you find this diet too much to consume slowly make an effort to eat just a little more all the time. Also Get As Much Goog SOUND Sleep As You Can to aid in recovery.

Drink a minimum of a at least a gallon of water every day.

Now on to the Endomorph:

I would offer the same advice to them also except do 3 days of low intensity cardio just for your endurance and to keep fat gain to minimum. Mind you this is only a temporary routine.

IOnward to our Mesomorphic friends:

Same routine ,different diet, and 4 to 5 days of cardio of your choice.

I recommend walking on the treadmill. As you get in better shape increase duration, but start off at 20 minutes slowly building up to 30-45 minutes. If this seems like a lot of work it is but as I tell my clients if you can't stay motivated ,stand naked in front of a full length mirror, if you don't like what you see this should be motivation enough. I will go a lot deeper into fat loss but here we are just beginning.

The diet:
                              Meal # 1:
                              7 egg whites cooked in non-fat cooking spray
                              1 whole egg
                              1/2 cup oatmeal with sugar substitute (no milk)
                              water

Meal # 2:
                              Protein shake in water - 2 scoops

Meal # 3:
                              1 can of tuna
                              1 plain baked potato
                              1 small salad with lemon juice or vinegar
                              water

Meal # 4.:
                              5 oz. chicken breast (no skin)
                              1/2 cup brown rice ( I recommend Success Boil In Bag )
                              1/2 cup steamed broccoli
                              water

Meal # 5:
                              1 can tuna
                              Large green salad with vinegar
                              water

Meal #6:
                              Protein shake in water
                              1 Tbsp. olive oil

That's it.

Now here are some helpful tips to avoid hunger pangs and binging.

1-Eat your food slowly,
                              2-Always drink at least a gallon of water a day. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this but for you it will create a sensation of fullness.
                              3-If you must eat something ,pick a healthy low calorie snack, such as raw veggie cakes, fat free yogurt, salad, etc.

Now for some does and don'ts for all 3 body types............let's get to the Don'ts first:
                              Don't eat junk
                              Don't forget water
                              Don't miss workouts
                              Don't deviate from this routine
                              Don't slack off.

Now for the Do's:
                              Do train hard
                              Do be consistent
                              Do stick to your your diet
                              Do add weight to the bar when possible
                              Do use good form

Oh yeah and I forgot one more don't: