a few strength tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few strength tips please

i would really appreciate any tips on benching (1rm specifically) it seems to be the one area i just cant make progress in. Ive tried several different things and none seem to work for me. im 6' and 215lbs and i can barely bench 225, any tips or info greatly appreciated

Start doing dumbbell bench presses. You would be surprised how much strength you can develop by utilizing them.

Also focus on total body development. I have failed every time at trying to succeed at one certain lift. However, when I focus on getting stronger on everything, all of my lifts continue to grow and so does my body.

Comment

First thing is form. Once that's perfected just stick to the heavy weight and low reps.
      Train triceps hard, and delts. I found lying tricep extensions with the dumbells simultaneously helped my bench a lot.

Comment

do floor presses. look it up, Johnnie Jackson told me to do these at a guest apperense he did. After about 6 mounths of doing floor presses my bench whent up 55lbs.
        Though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you.

Comment

There's a few things you can do. Someone already mentioned the dumb bell presses...those are great. I weigh roughly 190 and am 6 feet tall. I started off about 3 months ago probably maxing 165-170...lol. I then started something called the Buckeye workout (others on here can tell you more about it then I can). My bench after 3 months is now up to 230. My dumbell presses have gone from a measley 30-35 up to doing 60-65 on my last set.

Also, work on other areas just besides your bench. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but it's important to also being working your back muscles to improve your bench and ultimately the looks of your chest muscles. I do chest/back workouts on same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Norway Power View Post
            do floor presses. look it up, Johnnie Jackson told me to do these at a guest apperense he did. After about 6 mounths of doing floor presses my bench whent up 55lbs.

Norway, what exactly is a floor press? Sorry if that's an obvious thing I should know, but I don't...i'm a noob.

Comment

MY thing with the one rep max was to just make sure I was making consistant gains on whatever was doing sets with. As you progress with the weight you use for your sets, your 1rm should raise as well. It is important, however, that you treat each body part with just as much importance as your chest. As your shoulders and triceps gain strength, they will also aid in your bench press ability.

Comment

Originally posted by udflyerfan View Post
                Norway, what exactly is a floor press? Sorry if that's an obvious thing I should know, but I don't...i'm a noob.
                I am pretty sure he is talking about doing presses from the floor, hence the name "floor" press instead of "bench" presses.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick1971 View Post
                  I am pretty sure he is talking about doing presses from the floor, hence the name "floor" press instead of "bench" presses.

Ok...i feel like a now...lol.

Also, Maverick is right...that's what I was trying to say earlier. You have to work your other body parts (triceps, back) to make significant gains in your chest/bench area.

Comment

Originally posted by udflyerfan View Post
                    ya doing them on the floor. Lower the weight slow untill your elbows hit the ground and the power the wight up and then repeat. Make shure you have a spoter. This is a movment that will make your bech go way up
                    Though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you.

Comment

Working...
                    X