How to find out the exact number of calories you need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find out the exact number of calories you need

without gaining fat. while gaining mass?

ive read some things but they are so damn confusing

so if anyone can post it in laymans terms itd be great

[ame="http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=48532"]Muscular Development Forums[/ame]

Let me know if there is anything in there that you do not fully understand. Only read the first post, it tells you how to calculate everything.

-Sayajin
    Currently: 6'2 215lbs 10% BF ; Goal: 6'2 250lbs 8% BF.

Comment

weightxbf=lm x11 is your theoretical maintenance calorie amount
      Strength does not come from winning, it is our struggle that builds our strength. When we struggle and decide not to surrender, that is strength

Comment

Originally posted by Sayajin View Post
        Muscular Development Forums

Let me know if there is anything in there that you do not fully understand. Only read the first post, it tells you how to calculate everything.

-Sayajin

hey thanks man, i read it about 5x and its Chinese to me. all the cm and kilo.

how do u find your LBM? and should i use LBM or BW to gain Mass and keep excess fat off?

maybe im really stupid and cant understand this

thanks for the post though

Comment

Muscular Development Forums > MD Training Forums > Masters Bodybuilding > Masters Archive.

Thread: Bodybuilding Anthropometrics

[ame="http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showpost.php?p=534083&postcount=5"]Muscular Development Forums[/ame]

Body Composition Calculator

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html

The WeighTrainer

Circumference Bodyfat / Lean Body Mass Calculator

This calculator gives you an estimate of your % bodyfat and lean body mass based on your weight, height, age and simple tape measurements (i.e. anthropometric measurements).
          My Competition Prep Journal

Muscular Development Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by chucklestheclown View Post
            hey thanks man, i read it about 5x and its Chinese to me. all the cm and kilo.

how do u find your LBM? and should i use LBM or BW to gain Mass and keep excess fat off?

maybe im really stupid and cant understand this

thanks for the post though
            Lets see if I can help. Use BW, not LBM.

First find your BMR:

BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age)

Then multiply it times 1.6

Then multiply that by 20% and add the 20% back into the original number.

That is how many calories you need a day to bulk up.

Hope that makes it easier.

-Sayajin
            Currently: 6'2 215lbs 10% BF ; Goal: 6'2 250lbs 8% BF.

Comment

Originally posted by Sayajin View Post
              Lets see if I can help. Use BW, not LBM.

First find your BMR:

BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age)

Then multiply it times 1.6

Then multiply that by 20% and add the 20% back into the original number.

That is how many calories you need a day to bulk up.

Hope that makes it easier.

-Sayajin

thanks alot man. really helped me out.

Comment

66+(13.7 x 74) + (5 x 182) - (6.8 x 19) = 1860.6

1860.6 x 1.6 = 2976.96

2976.96 x .20 = 595.392

2976.96 + 595.392 = 3572.352 calories per day

can any one confirm this to make sure i did it right?

Comment

66+(13.7 x 74) + (5 x 182) - (6.8 x 19) = 1860.6

1860.6 x 1.6 = 2976.96

2976.96 x .20 = 595.392

2976.96 + 595.392 = 3572.352 calories per day

can any one confirm this to make sure i did it right?

Comment

dude, i don't mean to be negative but it's damn near impossible to gain serious mass w/o putting on a few lbs of fat. i'm no brainiac, i hate math equations so i just do it like this...bulking up, 20 cals per lb bodyweight so 200lbs =4000cals or around there. when dieting, cut back. don't lose focus on your protein/fat/carb requirements too.
                    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

For me: I would eat what I would normally want to (proportion wise but can't on a daily basis) and when I'm not bulking it's what I need to eat "normally" to not gain any weight and sustain my weight.

So when cutting, just up your protein intake by a few shakes a day.

If this makes any sense...
                      Last edited by Amino_man; August 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM.
                      WORK THE MUSCLES, NOT THE WEIGHT

-Jay Cutler

Comment

I just did the calculations out for myself using both the math method, and maximill's 20 cal method.

The math said about 2600 calories a day are needed, and the 20 cal's method said about 3600 calories a day.

Pretty big difference. If you are getting a big difference like that, I would suggest going somewhere in the middle, about 3000 cals in my case. I know that with 3600 cals a day I would be gaining alright, but it would be more than necessary, a lot more fat than I would have to in order to bulk.

About 3k for me I know that I would gain, for sure, and I would probably even gain with 2600, but it would be best to add a bit just to make sure so that you arn't wasting your time working out and not feeding your muscles.

Comment

you could just keep it simple and take in your BW x 15 ... theres alot of different philosophies out there. Everybodys gonna tell you something different. Just listen to one person at a time and run with it. Trial and error is something you must go thru to find what works best. I will say this... one major key is to make sure you take in the same amount of calories everyday. If you zigzag your calories you will find it nearly impossible to make solid gains.
                          Superhuman Neumann

Comment

Originally posted by allouteffort View Post
                            you could just keep it simple and take in your BW x 15 ... theres alot of different philosophies out there. Everybodys gonna tell you something different. Just listen to one person at a time and run with it. Trial and error is something you must go thru to find what works best. I will say this... one major key is to make sure you take in the same amount of calories everyday. If you zigzag your calories you will find it nearly impossible to make solid gains.
                            So you times by 15 to figure out what to eat to gain but what if you want to cut?
                            WORK THE MUSCLES, NOT THE WEIGHT

-Jay Cutler

Comment

Working...
                            X