Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to even begin???

Hi,

I'm a newb... I'm currently over weight and trying to get into a better shape than just "round". I'd thought about getting into bodybuilding but don't know if I have the kind of dedication and self dicipline to reach that kind of a goal. Currently I am 5'2" and weigh 160lbs. I would like to be 135lbs within the next 7-8 months (if this is a resonable goal I am unsure.)

I DO however want to lose weight and be healthy. I limit myself from about 1500-1800 calories a day and from those I eat:

oatmeal or cottage cheese for breakfast
    a luna bar or cookie (probably 2 throughout the day)
    veggies and some sort of lean meat for lunch and dinner (like tuna, chicken, turkey, lean beef)
    probably 2-3 pieces of fruit throughout the day too..
    I usually find some sort of way to fit peanutbutter into the mix...
    and if I'm craving something sweet I usually have a small bowl of cereal w/some milk. I figure it has to be better than icecream, right??

My exercise routine kind of stinks at the moment, but its better than what it used to be.. which was absolutly nothing.

I try to get out after work with my family and walk the dog for as far as my little 4 yr olds legs will carry her. And I hit the gym up about 2-3 times a week doing 30-40 minutes of cardio and full body workouts.

I've only recently begun to up my exercise program, previously I was only getting into the gym 1-2x/week... But the thing is? I haven't seen results in a couple of months. The scale has not budged and also my clothes fit exactly the same.

I had been in some other weightloss/fitness forums and groups... but they gave piss poor advice and also wanted to dispute fact as fiction. So my fiance pointed me this way and said if I didn't want to take his word I should look at this forum as its where he recieved good solid advice previously.

Can someone please throw a bone my way.. maybe give me some pointers as to what I may or may not be doing properly here?

Thanks in advanced!

Well I would say your goal is very attainable for one. The main thing I see right away is not enough protein and too many carbs. Breakfast would be good if you did eat the oatmeal but also egg whites or a different protein source, possibly a whey shake. Replace the luna bar or cookie with something not processed like healthy nuts or you could even do a protein shake with a handful or two of nuts. Lunch and dinner should be fine. When do you eat the pieces of fruit? Natural Peanut butter can be good, but how much do you eat of it? The bowl of cereal will screw things up a bit, assuming it's at night too.. since it's the last food you listed throughout your days diet. Scrap that.. have the cottage cheese then. Basically upping the protein and lowering your carbs is what needs to be done in my opinion.

I'm glad your exercise routine is improving, make sure your challenging yourself with your full body workouts. Try not to rely on machines, and use free weights to really push yourself. Since you have only recently begun the new routine you cant really tell how it's working so give it a few weeks and see how you progress. I think with an improved diet, and consistent routine you will be sure to reach your goals.

Comment

Welcome aboard. I'd point you to the fat loss fanatics thread on this board. One of the stickies t the top of the section is an excellent computation of how many calories you need for the day based on your size and activity level. Also it breaks down how to figure out your macro nutrient mix based on calories (fat, protein, carbs) I point you here because i've learned here that getting your diet straight and consistent is the 1st step.

It's very good to hear your exercise program is picking up. Keep that up and there are plenty of good people here who can give you good pointers on finding an exercise program that you will like so that you will stick with it.

-Ted
      Try not to let hurdles hold you down because they will always be there.

Comment

heres the thip, never skip your cardio training

Comment

try to eat 6 or 7 small meals a day to keep your matobolism at full speed. eat food like

- oatmeal
          - eggs or egg whites
          - chicken breast
          - turkey
          - protein shakes
          - brown rice
          - cottage cheese

and drink a LOT of water

hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessi View Post
            Hi,

I'm a newb... I'm currently over weight and trying to get into a better shape than just "round". I'd thought about getting into bodybuilding but don't know if I have the kind of dedication and self dicipline to reach that kind of a goal. Currently I am 5'2" and weigh 160lbs. I would like to be 135lbs within the next 7-8 months (if this is a resonable goal I am unsure.)

I DO however want to lose weight and be healthy. I limit myself from about 1500-1800 calories a day and from those I eat:

oatmeal or cottage cheese for breakfast
            a luna bar or cookie (probably 2 throughout the day)
            veggies and some sort of lean meat for lunch and dinner (like tuna, chicken, turkey, lean beef)
            probably 2-3 pieces of fruit throughout the day too..
            I usually find some sort of way to fit peanutbutter into the mix...
            and if I'm craving something sweet I usually have a small bowl of cereal w/some milk. I figure it has to be better than icecream, right??

My exercise routine kind of stinks at the moment, but its better than what it used to be.. which was absolutly nothing.

I try to get out after work with my family and walk the dog for as far as my little 4 yr olds legs will carry her. And I hit the gym up about 2-3 times a week doing 30-40 minutes of cardio and full body workouts.

I've only recently begun to up my exercise program, previously I was only getting into the gym 1-2x/week... But the thing is? I haven't seen results in a couple of months. The scale has not budged and also my clothes fit exactly the same.

I had been in some other weightloss/fitness forums and groups... but they gave piss poor advice and also wanted to dispute fact as fiction. So my fiance pointed me this way and said if I didn't want to take his word I should look at this forum as its where he recieved good solid advice previously.

Can someone please throw a bone my way.. maybe give me some pointers as to what I may or may not be doing properly here?

Thanks in advanced!
            If you dont think you have the discipline then you probably dont. Everybody "would like" to lose 20 lbs or gain muscle, but whos really willing to do what it takes to get it ? If you go to the gym and halfass your way through a training session you mine as well not even show up. You'll be more heart healthy but your muscular gains wont take place
            Superhuman Neumann

Comment

Working...
            X