My Prep for the 2008 Ohio State Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Prep for the 2008 Ohio State Championships

Whats up guys, my name is Sean and I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for the 2008 Ohio State Championships as a light heavyweight on Sept. 20th. I've read a lot of threads on this forum (posting here and there) and have seen some awesome transformations and feedback from a lot of great competitors, so I thought I would start a thread. This will be my 4th show, and I really want to come in as shredded as possible... this time naturally. I have dabbled with AAS lightly in the past, but that is no more, and will never be an option again. I really want to maximize my physique without any chemical help. I obviously dont have a prob if anyone uses them, if I did I would be a total hypocrite, but they just dont fit into my lifestyle anymore.

Anyways, that being said, I will be having one of our frequent posters and natural competitor taking control of my diet, Scoobysnacks. He did my peak for my last show and I must said he did an awesome job. I was able to place 2nd in the light heavies at the Cincinnati Championships in April after placing 5th at the Northern Kentucky in March.

I just graduated from OSU on June 8th, then went on a vacation out west for a week and got a little fatter. Might as well go out with a bang, ya know? I tipped the scales Monday at 206 in the afternoon, but my dry weight in the morning (butt ass naked, dehydrated, and morning piss out of me) on Wednesday was 198. My bodyfat was around 11% on Monday as well, up from 8% a few weeks ago.

Also been doing cardio twice a day in the morning and post workout for 30 mins each. Cals are at about ~2500 on non-training days/smaller muscle groups, and about ~2700 on back & leg days.

Thats all I can think of to start off... time to get ripped!!!
    "Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure..."

A fellow Big Ten graduate ! Congrats. Nice to have you starting up a journal here. Looking forward to keeping up with it.
    NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Originally posted by crou View Post
      A fellow Big Ten graduate ! Congrats. Nice to have you starting up a journal here. Looking forward to keeping up with it.
      Thanks! I expect prep to be a little easier (schedule wise) now that I dont have to put up with classes and projects on top of work and training. i got done with my workout yesterday around 7 and it was so nice to just come home and prep my meals for the next day and chill out. No reading, no studying, just some quality time with my TV lol

Comment

My workouts

Here's my split from the last 3 days

Monday: Chest and Triceps
        All sets taken to failure with 2-3 second posing between sets to pump the muscle
        Incline Bench 3x10-15

Incline Flyes 3x12-15
        <<superset w/>>
        DB Bench 3x12-15

Pec-Dec Flye 3x15
        <<superset>>
        Hammer Strength Chest Press 3x10-15

Skull Crushers 3x12-15
        Close grip 3x10-15
        Reverse grip pressdowns 3x15-20

Cardio: Walk on Treadmill w/ incline 30 mins. HR ~110-120

Chest is still sore from this workout! I have a hard time getting my triceps sore, even tho they are pumped and burning during workout.

Tuesday: Legs

30 mins cardio on elliptical in am

Leg Ext 3x15-20
        <<superset>>
        Lying Leg Curl 3x15-20

Front Squats 3x10-15

Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3x 10-15

High & Narrow Stance Leg Press 3x 15-20

30 mins walking on treadmill afterwards

VERY sore still

Wed: Abs & HIIT

30 mins cardio on elliptical in am

Hanging Knee Raises 3xfailure

Rope Crunches 3x20
        <<supersetted>>
        Bench Knee Raises 3x20

Oblique Crunches 3x20

I always HATE doing abs, but I should probably start doing them regularly now

20 mins of HIIT on bike

Thats the last 3 days of my workouts. Gonna hit Back tonight... its an area I really want to improve... little more width but much more thickness. So any tips ppl have, let me know!!!
        Last edited by lighthvy; June 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I think you will like working with Scoobs. He's a straight shooter and nows his stuff- not to mention how passionate he is about this sport. You are going to do great!
          TEAM GORMAN

Comment

Originally posted by johngorman View Post
            I think you will like working with Scoobs. He's a straight shooter and nows his stuff- not to mention how passionate he is about this sport. You are going to do great!
            Damn right... thats why I hired him! Hope the last couple of weeks of your prep is going well! Its crunch time!

Comment

Back Workout

Today I'm hitting back, bis and cardio pwo... here's the routine I have planned for today. Each set will be taken to failure.

BACK:
              Deadlifts 3-4x 6-10

Pull Ups 3-4x failure (may alternate grips and width)

DB Rows 3-4x 10-15

Straight Arm Pull Downs 3x 12-15

T-Bar Rows 3x 10-15

Biceps:
              Barbell Curls 3x 10-15

Incline DB Curls 3x 12-15

Lying Cable Curls 3x 15

30 minutes of cardio afterwards...

Comment

Sean looked really good at the Cincinnati, he just needed to be a little leaner....thats what we will accomplish with this prep. He follows things to a T so it should be easy....He is easing into it right now we had his carbs pretty darn high in the offseason so he should respond even with his carbs still fairly high right now.

Comment

Sean that is awesome. Looking forward to seeing you there. I'm hoping to run a booth for ALR and should be very close to contest condition myself at that time.

Great to see a fellow Ohio'an on the boards.

BTW, Scoobs, I never put 2 and 2 together to see that you're from Cincy. My best friend lives down there. He's getting married in West Chester maybe...?
                  TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                  www.fitcorps.net

Comment

Originally posted by hossjob View Post
                    Sean that is awesome. Looking forward to seeing you there. I'm hoping to run a booth for ALR and should be very close to contest condition myself at that time.

BTW, Scoobs, I never put 2 and 2 together to see that you're from Cincy. My best friend lives down there. He's getting married in West Chester maybe...?
                    Yeah man cincinnati, but really I live in Maineville Northern Cincinnati suburb, its not far from West Chester, we have friends that live there, bot nice areas in Northern Cincy.

Comment

Originally posted by hossjob View Post

I'll look for ya at the ALR both and hopefully out in the crowd! Never hurts to hear another person scream 'hold ur damn glutes sean!' lol...

What part of Ohio are you from? I'm downtown Columbus now, originally from Springboro, right in the middle of Dayton and Cincinnati off I-75.

Comment

Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                        Sean looked really good at the Cincinnati, he just needed to be a little leaner....thats what we will accomplish with this prep. He follows things to a T so it should be easy....He is easing into it right now we had his carbs pretty darn high in the offseason so he should respond even with his carbs still fairly high right now.
                        Gram by gram, I'm gonna get ripped!

Comment

About My Back Workout...

Yesterday's lift for back and bis was pretty exhausting. It was nice to start going a little heavier with deadlifts, but my legs were still pretty sore from Tuesday's leg workout, then doing HIIT on the bike on Wednesday. After those, pull-ups were a nice change of pace. I did two sets with a pronated, wide grip. I feel if I look up and pull myself up to my clavicles, I get a nice squeeze in my upper back, but also on my outer lats up under the armpit. After those two sets, I changed my grip to a supinated grip, arms closer together, to work my lower lats. I change grips pretty consistently to try and force some growth on my back. I felt like gassed out a bit early yesterday, but I am sure I am just adjusted to the cut in calories... or just tired from deadlifts
                          After those I hit DB rows, never fail to get a good squeeze on those. I used to hate doing these when I first started lifting cause I just couldnt feel it. Now that I have a few years of serious lifting under my belt, I think my mind muscle connection is much improved, and now these are one of my favs. Next, Straight arm pull-downs were slated, but the cables were taken, so I did a variation on a decline bench with a barbell. I got this idea from Eric Fankhouser (sp?) when he wrote about trying to widen his back. Great stretch for the lats. Can get pretty challenging towards the end...
                          Next were T-Bar Rows. I like doing these heavy from time to time, but yesterday I just felt like repping them out to get a good pump. I used a relatively wider grip, and bent over just enough so I felt it in my upper back. I really need to pack on some meat there in my back. I look decent from my front shots, but when I turn around, I just dont match... need to bring it up!!!
                          Again, if anyone has any good ideas about bringing up the back, let me know, I'm always open to new ideas!

Comment

Been a long weekend. Long friggin dinner I had to go to with my gf on Saturday. It was a black tie graduation dinner for OSU Neurosurgical med students. The woman (who comptetes in figure, gonna do the Team U in Sept) was able to have her cheat meal, but I came prepared with my tupperware and cooler lol. No cheats this prep! Nothing like eating out of a rubbermaid container and talking to a bunch of strangers in tuxedos. Still was able to get some am cardio in, as well as HIIT before I had to get ready.
                            Sunday was another busy day. Did the grocery shopping thing and hit Sam's Club... that place is just outstanding for BBers. Big ass boxes of oats and decent prices on cuts of meat, like top round. I think I paid around $3/lb, which I think is pretty good... did am cardio and HIIT in the evening. Yep, long boring story lol

Comment

Weight loss has progressed nicely. I weighed in early last week at 198 in the am, dry and butt ass naked. Today I stepped on the scale at 195. 3lbs lost isn't too bad. I just got back from a vacation full of pool food, cheesburgers, and mexican, so I think that accounted for a higher weight of 198. I also hit shoulder abs and calves last friday, here's the routine... feel free to comment if you want.

Shoulders
                              Arnold Presses 3x12-15
                              Upright Rows 3x10-15
                              Bent Lateral Raises 3x15
                              Front Raises 3x15
                              Lateral Raises 3x drop sets

Abs
                              Weighted Knee-ups 3x20
                              Crunches 3x20

Calves
                              Standing Calf Raises 3x15
                              21's 3 sets

LIT cardio 30 mins pwo

Comment

Working...
                              X