ProTan Guidance needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProTan Guidance needed!

sup guys, am doing a show in 8wks time and need some help with getting myself tanned with ProTan products.

Heres a list of what i got:
    4 x ProTan Instant Comp Colour
    2 x ProTan Ultra Bronze
    1 x ProTan Posing oil

in your guys opinion, how will you use the following products if comp day is on Saturday? Its my first time using ProTan as im not a fan of dreamtan.

Thanks ppl!

I prefer Pro-Tan, so good choice IMO. One question though, have you been tanning in a tanning bed? I suggest this as it lays a good base to work from. My experience has been with the base tan, the stain just looks browner and better. As far as applying, my wife has this down to almost expert levels for me. She does it for me for every show. Here's my run down, and it works for me... given I have a good base tan (I tan year round so I am pretty dark anyway), if show is Saturday, she paints me starting Thursday night with 4 good coats. Shower first to remove oils, etc., then paint each coat on after the previous dries and it dries pretty quick. Starting at my neck and works down to toes. Usually by the time she reaches my feet, she can start back at the top. Use the sponge brush and spray, don't pour the stain in a cup and dip the brush, this will be a mess, run and streak. Spray the stain on your body then even out with brush. After a spray or two you will see how much to spray. The more coats the darker. Remember, ankles, elbows, knuckles will not need as much, they will end up being darker than the rest of you. I recommend putting an old sheet on the floor under you if you do it in the bathroom. After the first 4 coats, I stay in the buff for a bit to make sure I am dry to the touch, then I slip on old undies and an old t-shirt. Oh yeah, no matter how dry you think you are, some will still come off on anything you come in contact with, so invest in cheap sheets to sleep on and double them if you can. I single sheeted and slightly stained my mattress. The next day, shower as usual but don't scrub too hard. A lot will rinse down the drain, but the base stain will be there. Dry really good after shower. Repeat with two to three more coats on Friday. Do not shower anymore. You're not gonna be out and about anyway, so you won't stink too bad. That should have you nice and dark. Go to weigh-in. Saturday morning, we always check the stain to cover any wear spots from undies, t-shirt or sheets. Usually another coat will do. Dry good and then carefully get suit on. Keep stain to none or minimal on suit, especially on outside. Inside won't matter. That's it. You're good to go to prejudging. Oh yeah, the face. I do this myself with light sprays to the sponge brush and lightly color my face until I feel it it blends well with the rest of me. Don't forget the ears.

Comment

Another point since I am thinking about it... I usually don't use the posing oil or bronzing stuff. I use HOT STUFF the day of show (30 minutes prior to hitting the stage) for prejudging and night show also. It shines nice and heats up real nice. It helps vascularity greatly. Just test it on you a couple of weeks out from the show because it's almost like Ben-Gay. If you use too much you will be stinging like a bitch. As you put on the HOT STUFF backstage, it will mix with the PRO-Tan a bit, so don't freak if it comes off on your hands and it will. Just lightly rub it on and it should not screw up all your staining efforts, if your staining regimen is on point, the stain is on you and done its job. One more bit of advice, if you can get out in the sun during backstage, do it. Sun combined with the HOT STUFF will vein-up everything and warm you up nicely. I am fortunate enough to compete in Florida and usually there is a back door open backstage all the time. One last thing, remember this all this staining products will get all over everything, your car, your clothes, your significant other, etc. I recommend black clothing because you can wash and re-use. If another color...trash it after show, it won't come out. When you're all done with the show, be patient with it coming off. It takes me up to two weeks to get completely "normal" color again with ankles, wrists, knuckles being the last to let go of the stain. Who cares though, right? You kicked butt at the show!

Comment

thanks nickbronco!

i got a few questions, can i start painting myself on wednesday since i dun tan in a bed and its my first time using protan? Does the hot stuff dries into our skin or does it act like a posing oil with added sheen?

I'm kinda afraid to mess up since i've put in a whole lot of effort and my gf will be painting for me..
        Last edited by cockmcocks; October 17th, 2008, 02:26 AM.

Comment

anyone who used ultra bronze before care to help out? thanks!

Comment

Pro Tan Wednesay eve.
            Shower (rinse only) Thursday morn.
            Protan Thursday eve.
            Shower (rinse only) Friday morn.
            Protan Friday eve.
            1 coat Jan Tana Competition Tan Friday eve.
            1 coat Jan Tana Competition Tan Saturday morn.

About 1 month out begin daily skin scrubbing (loofah) and moisturizing, it makes the Pro Tan go on much, much better. A good base tan from either the real sun or a tanning salon for a decent base is a good idea as well.

NYC BIG MIKE
            Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

Originally posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
              Pro Tan Wednesay eve.
              Shower (rinse only) Thursday morn.
              Protan Thursday eve.
              Shower (rinse only) Friday morn.
              Protan Friday eve.
              1 coat Jan Tana Competition Tan Friday eve.
              1 coat Jan Tana Competition Tan Saturday morn.

About 1 month out begin daily skin scrubbing (loofah) and moisturizing, it makes the Pro Tan go on much, much better. A good base tan from either the real sun or a tanning salon for a decent base is a good idea as well.

NYC BIG MIKE
              thanks BIG MIKE!

is the avatar pic of you from Protan colouring? Have you use ultra bronze or oils onto protan before?

Comment

Originally posted by cockmcocks View Post
                thanks BIG MIKE!

is the avatar pic of you from Protan colouring? Have you use ultra bronze or oils onto protan before?

The avatar pic would be using coloring just as I described above. Once you get under the bright lights, all of a sudden you don't look as dark as you thought you were. Hence the phrase: "You can never be too dark". I used PAM spray before I went onstage for oil.

NYC BIG MIKE

Comment

using the little applicator sponge with the protan may work good for bronco, but in my experience that takes all night to get a good coat on with that crappy little thing. I pour into a bowl and use a car sponge, goes on REALLY quick and even. Its not messy for me to do it this way and goes on much quicker IMHO. Different opinions for different folks.

Id get the sponges to have on hand in case you find like me that that little sponge applicator that comes with it is driving the person putting it on you batty.

Good Luck

ss

EDIT:

I meant a car wax sponge I got them at Automart they are round and soft, these work better than that tiny ass applicator and they go on smooth.

Comment

The avatar pic would be using coloring just as I described above. Once you get under the bright lights, all of a sudden you don't look as dark as you thought you were. Hence the phrase: "You can never be too dark". I used PAM spray before I went onstage for oil.

NYC BIG MIKE
                    thanks BIG MIKE! i'll go ahead with wat you suggested for the ProTan and mayb add another coat or 2 to it and see how it goes.

i'm wondering if i can substitute the jan tana comp tan with Ultra Bronze?

Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                    using the little applicator sponge with the protan may work good for bronco, but in my experience that takes all night to get a good coat on with that crappy little thing. I pour into a bowl and use a car sponge, goes on REALLY quick and even. Its not messy for me to do it this way and goes on much quicker IMHO. Different opinions for different folks.

Id get the sponges to have on hand in case you find like me that that little sponge applicator that comes with it is driving the person putting it on you batty.

Good Luck

ss

EDIT:

I meant a car wax sponge I got them at Automart they are round and soft, these work better than that tiny ass applicator and they go on smooth.
                    LOL, yes, thats what i thought, i'll be getting a sponge too, anytype of sponge will do am i right?

thanks!

Comment

thanks BIG MIKE! i'll go ahead with wat you suggested for the ProTan and mayb add another coat or 2 to it and see how it goes.

i'm wondering if i can substitute the jan tana comp tan with Ultra Bronze?

LOL, yes, thats what i thought, i'll be getting a sponge too, anytype of sponge will do am i right?

thanks!
                      just dont get one with built in sanitizer or soap on accident. They do make these.

Ss

Comment

Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                        just dont get one with built in sanitizer or soap on accident. They do make these.

Ss
                        noted!

should i shower in the morning the day of the show?

Comment

noted!

should i shower in the morning the day of the show?

No. Light rinse (water only) up until Friday morning.

NYC BIG MIKE

Comment

No. Light rinse (water only) up until Friday morning.

NYC BIG MIKE
                            I agree I dont shower morning of show, you really will lessen your color if you do so even if it is a rinse. Like Mike said, you can friday morning before applying more, then just wake up saturday and rock it.

Ss

Comment

thanks ppl!

last 2 questions i got that may sound stupid is, do i have to paint my armpits? I sweat easily, does it ruin the protan on me after it dries up?

Comment

Working...
                              X