Has anyone ever done a high fat, mod carb contest diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever done a high fat, mod carb contest diet

I was thinking about a ratio, not sure on it yet, but like 45%protein-30% fat- 25% carbs. Have not had a chance to set down and put all the numbers to it but this is just an idea and i was wondering if anyone had done anthing like this and what they thought of it. I tried dave's diet and was constently getting weaker, added some carbs back in and strength came right back. But i seemed to look good with some added fats. Any thoughts.

What's your LBM? Please post the originally proposed/followed DP diet that did not work well for you.
    Myth's training blog:

Comment

purebeef, here is my .02.

I've prepped on no carbs (keto) 2 different ways, low carbs, and moderate carbs. Luckily I was in shape each time, relatively speaking. However, my most successful diets were the LOW CARB, HIGH PROTIEN, MODERATE FAT diets. Typically, these diets would start with moderate carbs and protein with low fat an das the carbs dropped, the EFA's (Essential fats) and proteins increased to where I was low carb, high protein, mod fat.

I find this method leads to greater recovery while being able to utilize carbs andkeeping calories a bit higher than you'd be able to on a low fat, higher carb diet.

The basic premise is to have carbs at "OPPORTUNE" times, or "TIMED" carbs. For instance, have them with meal 1 (meal 2 at the beginning) and post workout.

All other meals should be a combination of lean protein and EFA's.
      TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
      www.fitcorps.net

Comment

IMO a higher carb plan will help preserve more muscle but the higher fat plan will be easier to strip bodyfat, so I tend to prefer a balanced approach to fat/carb intake, not labeling either one as "high" or "low", and as calories need to be stripped, I strip slowly from both sources as needed while keeping protein intact
        MorphogenNutrition.com
        Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
          IMO a higher carb plan will help preserve more muscle but the higher fat plan will be easier to strip bodyfat, so I tend to prefer a balanced approach to fat/carb intake, not labeling either one as "high" or "low", and as calories need to be stripped, I strip slowly from both sources as needed while keeping protein intact

Bingo.

NYC BIG MIKE
          Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

your question of high fat mod carb for contest prep, i have not done.

though if your asking for a high fat - high pro contest prep, i have done that.

after the 07 arnold am, i had trouble making lightweight for the mets as shredded as i was. so for the next show instead of dieting down. we blew it up. i ate 4lbs of red meat and 2lbs of mozzerella cheese a day.went up from 154 to 168/172 . i had plenty of energy. the one downside was having to do enough aerobics -4 hours a day - to burn off the fat.

just another way to skin the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
              Bingo.

NYC BIG MIKE

You guys that did the same fat as carb diet. Could you give me you weight at begining and what macro's were. I appreciate it.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by purebeef View Post
                You guys that did the same fat as carb diet. Could you give me you weight at begining and what macro's were. I appreciate it.
                Thanks

mine weren't the exact same in terms of calories, but I generally had a nice mix of both and didn't pay too much attention to %'s as long as my calories were in check

maybe every other week or so I'd reduce the amount of a fat or carb source based on my progress

right now my offseason looks like this:

Meal 1 - shake, oats, fruit
                Meal 2 - beef, nuts, veggies
                Meal 3 - beef, nuts, veggies
                Meal 4 - shake, oats
                Meal 5 - shake, oats or cereal (PWO)
                Meal 6 - beef, nuts, veggies

during a prep I might reduce oats in meal 4 one week, then the next week cut my nuts in half at meal 6, and so on

nothing ever gets completely eliminated so wild mood swings or flattening out to an extreme really never happen. it also helps with cravings as I have some fats and carbs still in the diet so I don't crave (too much anyways) one or the other in their absence
                MorphogenNutrition.com
                Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

I think if you're gonna go w/ any carbs, they need to be sufficient to run on. If you want to leverage low carbs, you either need to be ketogenic or have enough to run on. Too low, but not low enough carbs won't work well IMO because you aren't providing your body w/ enough energy source.

I've had lots of luck w/ carb cycling over a 3 day or 4 day cycle for competition w/ strength reduction only really happening the last 4 weeks of prep. Actually hit new PRs at around 6 weeks out.

Comment

Working...
                  X