Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been on the Palumbio diet for 3 weeks now and haven't lost a pound (need help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been on the Palumbio diet for 3 weeks now and haven't lost a pound (need help)

Hey guys. I have been hitting the weights for years but took a year off from training for personal reasons. I just got back into it 3 months ago and all of my strength and muscle fullness that I lost during my break is back. Thats the good news. The bad news is I started Dave Palumbo's cutting diet 3 weeks ago and so far I haven't lost a single pound. I haven't even lost any intial water weight from the lack of carbs even though water weight isn't important right now.

(My current stats are as follows)

height: 5'11
    weight: 212 pounds
    bodyfat: 16.2 percent

My weight was 212 pounds before I started the palumbio diet 3 weeks ago and it's still 212 pounds now. Bodyfat still measures at 16.2 percent sadley as well. It's like my body doesn't care that I'm eating only 30-40 grams of carbs a day. My body refuses to get rid of any fat or water. The only good thing is I haven't lost any strength or muscle. Still inclining benchpressing 275 for 8 reps.

I've been following the Palumbio diet thats disigned for a 200 pound man. I have also been doing 40 minutes of cardio 6 days a week after training to speed fat loss up. This Saturday that past was my first carb cheat meal where I took in about 400 grams of carbs to refill glycogen stores and revamp my metabilism.

I've been keeping the weights heavy in the 6-10 rep range like I'm training to gain mass even though I'm dieting. So far my all of my major lifts have stayed the same and a few lifts like dumbell shoulder press have increased even on this diet. My main goal is to start trying to gain muscle but I want to get my bodyfat down to at least 10% and have visible abdominals before I start eating for mass because at my current 16.2 percent bodyfat I feel nutrient partitioning will not be in my favor with my bodyfat already so high.

So to be direct I am a little frustrated and confused on why I haven't dropped a single pound on this famous diet. I feel like I wasted 3 weeks and I don't want to waste anymore time. I was hoping to lose 2 pounds a week but so far nothing even with all the cardio. I was wondering if I should implement some protein and veggies days with no fat even though that stragedy is only used when most guys are a few weeks out from a show. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. If I don't lose any bodyfat within the next 2 weeks then I plan to switch over to a carb cycle diet and see if that works. I have always had a slow metabilism and my last bulk up phase I was able to bulk up on only 3,000-3300 calories. I know theres guys that can take in 5000 calories and still have trouble gaining weight. I didn't realize that my metabilism was so slow to the point where dave's keto diet would even be effective.

Once again thanks in advance guys for any advice.
    Last edited by jray; August 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM. Reason: grammer

Oh yeah. Here is my current eating routine. Any advice will be appreciated.

meal#1 4 whole eggs omega and 4 egg whites
    meal#2 50g Whey protein shake and 1 table spoon natural penut butter
    meal#3 Preworkout 8-10 oz chicken breast + 1/2 cashews or almonds.
    Meal#4 post workout 50g Whey protein shake
    meal#5 8oz top sirloin and some green vegies + 1 tablespoon olive oil
    Meal#6 4 whole eggs omega and 4 egg whites

Comment

If following a diet not specifically formulated to you (ie generic out of a book) then really what's the best that you can hope for? You may want to modify the generic diet that you are on to better suit you. From the foods that you posted it looks a bit low in calories for a 200 plus pound male and the carbohydrates are non existent (which I guess is the diets protocal) If you like and agree with the very low carbohydrate protocal then continue on, otherwise you may want to see if their are better approaches for you out there.

Comment

Jray, I've been doing the same diet, but I have split my cardio up into 2 sessions. One in the A.M. before breakfast (30min) and another one after my training (30min). I've learned that increasing cardio little by little keeps me on track for about 2lbs. lost a week. I was 212 this morning and I've been able to see the abs. Not sure what my bf% is, I just rely on the mirror. Also, how is your water intake? I get 2 gallons a day. Have you been incorporating a cheat meal once a week? Well, good luck bro. This is a cookie cutter diet, so you will have to tweak some things a bit.

Daron "Double Barrel" Lytle
        IFBB Pro

Comment

Thanks (The Shark). Yeah so far on this keto diet my body hasn't got any weaker. I don't feel any hunger pains or even crave carbs since I'm in ketosis. I actually feel pretty good on this diet. The problem is I'm not dropping any weight at all. I haven't even dropped any intial water weight that most guys experiance when they first start the palumbio keto diet. It's been 3 weeks. At first I thought the reason why I wasn't dropping weight was because I was gaining muscle and losing some fat at the same time since some of my major compound lifts are actually increasing in strength while other lifts are staying the same. I got excited in thinking I might be gaining muscle on a cutting diet until I measured my bodyfat at still 16.2 percent. Hasn't changed since I started this diet 3 weeks ago. Major let down.

I'm wondering if this keto diet has shut down my metabolism and put my body into starvasion mode to hold onto fat. The crasy thing is I'm not even hungry during the day and feel very engergetic on 30-40 grams of carbs a day.

I'm wondering if a carb cycle diet would be better for me. If so I need to find out how to ease out of this diet and impliment a carb cycle diet the right way. I'm hoping theres still a chance for me to succeed with the palumbio diet because while in ketosis I have no sugar cravings and keep my sanity. When not in ketosis things get ugly for me and I start craving sweets. I am afraid that if I switch to a carb cycling diet which will put me out of ketosis I may start losing muscle and craving junk food.

Any more advice out there.

Comment

jray everyone metabolism is different. mine has 2 speeds slow and stop. i honestly could not loose weight on your present diet. but i'm not a fan of keto diet, i prefer carb cycling and am cardio on empty stomach. about the only thing that works for me. but like i said everyone different and you will have to experiment some till you find whats best for you.

Comment

Thanks big daron and D MATT. The crasy thing is I have done this diet before back in 2008. You see I had bulked up to 250 pounds back in 2007 but I put on a shit ton of bodyfat with muscle. My slow metabolism allowed me to gain 2 pounds a week on only 3000 - 3300 calories a day. Go figure that one out. I read about so many guys that are taking in over 4000 or 6000 calories a day to gain muscle which to me sounds crasy. If I took in that many calories I'd be a fat bastard for sure. My meso/endomorphic body chemistry would not partition that many calories towards muscle building.

I did the Palumbio diet back then for 7 months and got down to 208 pounds with visible abs and good leaness. Didn't lose much muscle at all. So the diet has worked for me in the past back in 2008 when I was alot heavier.

After I reached a ripped 208 pounds. I got on a maintenance diet for a year and my weight stabilzed at a lean 212 pounds. In 2009 I took a year off of training and eating right like I said in my first post and lost a shit ton of muscle because of it. My weight was 205 pounds with a soft belly and lots of muscle loss. I started back into lifting and eating 7 meals a day 3 months ago and regained alot of strength and got some of my muslcle mass back but decided to focus on getting ripped 3 weeks ago. I want to get as lean as possible then start slowly eating for mass while staying relatively lean. If I can get down to at least 10 percent bodyfat or lower then I'll switch gears into muscle buiding.

So I wondering why the palumbio diet isn't working for me now when it worked for me back in 2008. Has my body changed to the point to where the palumbio diet is no longer effective for me? I am afraid to go the carb cycling route because the way my body operates if I look at a potato or any starch wrong I gain weight.

Comment

You must be eating something with carbs you don't know about. Is that you exact diet or do you eat other foods and use any condiments.

Comment

No thats my exact diet. I eat the same thing everyday. I find it simplier that way. I do drink 1 or 2 diet cokes a day but i also get in a galloon and a half of water a day.

Comment

Originally posted by jray View Post
                    No thats my exact diet. I eat the same thing everyday. I find it simplier that way. I do drink 1 or 2 diet cokes a day but i also get in a galloon and a half of water a day.
                    KETO is strange, I typically run it 5 weeks. Sometimes I will drop 25lbs, others 15lbs. Don't know why it varies so much.

Comment

Your protein is way too high and unlike carbs that can store in your muscle and liver, you only need to have a positive nitrogen balance meaning you can only assimilate the amount thats needed in 24 hour period according to you muscle breakdown. Any additional will store as fat or do what its doing to you when carbs are removed....Also your fat is off especially with the high intake in your egg meals

Any more than 40 grams of protein per meal incuding the protein from the nuts will do you more harm than good with allowing fat FROM YOUR BODY, not whats eaten, to be used as fuel.
                      TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
                      Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Comment

Thanks georgeforemanrules and tipsta. Ok so I should cut down my protein to 40 grams per meal instead of 50 grams. I'll give that a shot right away and see if I start losing some fat pounds.

Here are a few pics of what I currently look like. I am fairly lean under good lightling and after I train from the blood pump but I'm trying to get shredded. Based on my current weight of 212 pounds and bodyfat at 16.2 percent how much weight do you guys think is neccassary for me to drop to reach 10 percent bodyfat and diced abs.

Comment

Thanks georgeforemanrules and tipsta. Ok so I should cut down my protein to 40 grams per meal instead of 50 grams. I'll give that a shot right away and see if I start losing some fat pounds.

Here are a few pics of what I currently look like. I am fairly lean under good lightling and after I train from the blood pump but I'm trying to get shredded. Based on my current weight of 212 pounds and bodyfat at 16.2 percent how much weight do you guys think is neccassary for me to drop to reach 10 percent bodyfat and diced abs.

Sorry for the double post fellows. Still trying to get the hang of posting around here.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by jray; August 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by jray View Post

Sorry for the double post fellows. Still trying to get the hang of posting around here.
                            Dude who ever tested your body fat was wrong....was it those shitty elecrtic hand held kind?

You look about 11% bodyfat to me 12% at the very most.

Comment

Yeah I've been using the hand held etectric device that you have to hold out in front of you to measure my bodyfat. I know the most accurate way to measure bodyfat is by doing the under water testing method but I don't have access to that so I've been going by what the hand held device sez which is currently 16.2 percent bodyfat. The device has been saying 16.2 percent for 3 weeks now which is pissing me off.

By the way. Who's the chick in your avator (Georgeforemanrules)? She's hot.
                              Last edited by jray; August 11th, 2010, 08:43 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Working...
                              X