Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tas
    replied
    Great posts - I've found at 42 I have to take more care with heavy movements but that's what age is for, you tend to be a little more disciplined. Sleep is a biggy and I can tell when I'm not getting enough as my recovery time sinks through the floor - having 4 kids doesn't help the sleeping but if I can manage 7 hours I'm good to go - unfortunately it's often closer to 5 or 6 hours.

I've found with age I've had to become better at organizing an increasingly busy schedule so that I fit in my proper meals and have enough time for workouts. Juggling a busy career and a full household can be challenging but once again it all comes down to discipline which you hopefully have more of at our age.

Leave a comment:

• Ninja Loco
    replied
    Originally posted by Timski View Post
    I agree,I have to eat much lower carbs these days to get leaner,but my training is still hard,fast,and as heavy as possible for the rep range I`m shooting for.

I`m carb sensitive now that I`m older,when I was a kid,I could eat anything and still be ripped.

Shredder,I missed about 11-12 years of training myself,but I`m bigger,leaner,and as strong or stronger than ever....just more proof that it`s never too late to get into shape at any age.
    Exactly. We're all human and fall by the wayside for a myriad reasons. There's no reason anyone can't pick up where they left off no matter what excuse they use. All my family has excuses. All my friends have excuses. Yet my life is no less busy than theirs. Makes ya wonder.

The one thing I can't really seem to be able to read for consitency IS my body. I leaned out real fast - over the course of two months - eating more carbs than ever before. But I had to eat like every hour or so. Very, very frequently. More so than I was physicaly able to due to job and everything else that comes during the day. Now I'm eating less carbs, sitting behind a desk and eating every 3 hours or so. And I'm getting bigger. LOL, I don't want "bigger", I want strength and function for fighting.

Leave a comment:

• Timski
    replied
    Originally posted by V Shredder View Post
    I'm gonna second that. Being 41 seems to be harder on the metabolism that it was when I was, say, 30. Dieting is definately tougher.

Other than that I think I'm far stronger now than when I was training in my 20s. And definately bigger. I fucked up and layed off for more than 10 years before re-starting again a couple of years ago. But back then the best I ever got was 157. So far I've hit 190, then back down to 159, now 170.
    I agree,I have to eat much lower carbs these days to get leaner,but my training is still hard,fast,and as heavy as possible for the rep range I`m shooting for.

I`m carb sensitive now that I`m older,when I was a kid,I could eat anything and still be ripped.

Shredder,I missed about 11-12 years of training myself,but I`m bigger,leaner,and as strong or stronger than ever....just more proof that it`s never too late to get into shape at any age.

Leave a comment:

• paradox
    replied
    I defiantly would say MMA (mixed martial arts)

Although im only 23, iv popped both of my knee caps out of place quite a few times, once they pop out the first time, there prone to popping out again much easier.

Although i still spar on the regular, i gave up MMA competing(for now anway lol) , i normally competed at 190 mark, being close 230 is defiantly too much for me, even though i am lean at that weight.

Leave a comment:

• Ninja Loco
    replied
    Originally posted by FitnFirm View Post
    I will be 44 in 3 days and I have to say age has not had an impact on my training at all but it has on my diet. I def have to watch what I eat because your metabolism changes with age, so I just keep up the best I can and get help from the pro's when I need it.
    I'm gonna second that. Being 41 seems to be harder on the metabolism that it was when I was, say, 30. Dieting is definately tougher.

Other than that I think I'm far stronger now than when I was training in my 20s. And definately bigger. I fucked up and layed off for more than 10 years before re-starting again a couple of years ago. But back then the best I ever got was 157. So far I've hit 190, then back down to 159, now 170.

Leave a comment:

• GAZZAMAN007
    replied
    Life begins at any age!!

Leave a comment:

• nutratroy
    replied
    Life is going great, dating a hot fitness model, and living a good life while working at a highly prestigious supplement company for years then BAM! A life threatens tumor shows up. Bodyweight plummets and you find yourself at 40 looking around in dismay.

After 15 months of recovery, one has a different out look on life and weights. I remember I would always worry if my legs sucked or my arms didn’t match my symmetry…lol, such foolish behavior. Spending one day at a children’s cancer center will change those habits quickly!!

Once I realized how much I loved life and got back into the gym, I realized at 42, things needed to be reevaluated and advice from guys like you always is helpful. I notice that I focus more on less weight (when I say this, I mean no pressure extending onto my joints. I believe this is where the silly damage comes from…for the strangest reason, now, if I slip and feel strong, I’ll push it and some time’s “twinge” something…. In my youngster days, I would recoup easily, now. It could take me weeks now…. so I hired my friend/competitor (bodyfx2) to do my weights and supervise me. He convinced me to return to the Pro Stage, so I am shooting for the NGA Pro Universe (19 weeks)…and it is a battle.

I understand HRT and sometimes wonder why not? I do notice the drop in my test levels and get blood work done to watch myself now…. but keeping it all together (nutrition, training, supplementation) is very hard work BUT SO FUCKING WORHT IT! I truly believe my healthy background is what made the diff in my recovery.

Side note- I find daily Detoxing and cleansing has more impact on my recovery and performance then any other factor. I mean we all shove food down our grills 24/7, we just need it to leave cleanly and evenly as fast. I think the biggest factor at our age is creating a routine protocol of synergy via foods, supplements and smart training on a daily basis, cus at our age, we can’t afford to slip!

With guys Like Dave P, Layne (whom is really brilliant and Eric)…guys like us have a chance to push ourselves once again.
    Old navy, Lynch and FnF, ECT…we all can learn something from each other here, I think starting this post was brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Howard
    replied
    At 48, I can handle more wt on most exercises than when I was 28 or 38.
    I blew out my lower back from powerlifting years ago however. I don't even think about dead lifts and have to avoid bent over barbell rows and reg barbell squats. Thanks to the Hammer machines, smith, machines, etc,I can lift quality wts and avoid injury.

I have not competed in over 10 yrs , so I will interested in seeing how hard it is to look ripped at my present age. I plan to compete again this fall, wish me luck.
    Howard

Leave a comment:

• Always Sore
    replied
    The thing that changed the most is my knowledge. I know more now then I did at 20 and wish I still had the youthfull energy and easy schedual. At 39 I am stronger and bigger and work much smarter then in my youth. I know how my body responds and what to much is. I think back to all the eat anything workout life and kick myself for not being more focused. At this stage in my life I only hope to pass on to my son what I have learned and if he has the same passion as I do maybe he will take it farther then I did.I can only hope.

Leave a comment:

• Sandpig
    replied
    The thing about aging is that I have learned what little things make me tick.

I'm talking about hand or foot placement, rep speed, range of motion and so forth.

As far as intensity, it hasn't changed at all.

In fact I recently went back to doing each body part twice/ week.

Leave a comment:

• Rhyalus
    replied
    Well said, Navy.

I think you have to listen to your body more and more as you get older. I am turning 40 TOMORROW, and over the past couple of years I have experimented with days / splits, etc.

I feel better all around with three days at the gym, and cardio at home on an eliptical two more days.

If I go on a four day split at the gym, I eventually get behind on recovery and need to take a few days off. Sad but true...

I have tried several supps, and some help, but staying on a four day is tough now.

R

Leave a comment:

• Old Navy
    replied
    Does Age Affect Your Training?

In a word, yes. Age does affect your training. That's the short answer. But how it affects your training is really up to the individual. If you are 20-something, you can train until you drop, and other than being tired and maybe a little sore, the effects wear off quickly and soon you are ready to hit it again.

It's not that easy if you are in your late middle age or early old age. I am 64 years-old. I worked out in the gym at least five days a week for about 15 years. My training, while vigorous, was never strenuous. My goal was always to stay fit. Then, about three years ago I got the outrageous idea that I could train to prepare myself to enter a bodybuilding contest. Now that's an idea whose time had come. Imagine my wife's reaction when I told her the news. But, she was supportive and so I proceeded.

Training for a bodybuilding competition required many hard hours in the gym, a strict diet and a totally different life-style. Here, age makes a difference and does have an affect.

Lifting heavy weights with "old" muscles can be dangerous if you don't stay focused. It's easy to pull, rip, tear or stretch a muscle during an exercise that can stop you in your tracks and end your contest preparation on the spot.

I took great care in the gym to make sure I stretched my muscles before and after each set. I drank plenty of water during my workouts and I never continued a lift or pull if I felt the least twinge. I stopped the set at that point and didn't continue the exercise. I also never lifted more than I should, just to lift. My weight training was purposeful and therefore carefully planned.

To prepare for my first contest, I worked out 45 minutes a day, five days a week for 10 months prior to the contest date. During that time, I worked progressively harder each week as I grew stronger and never suffered a single injury nor did I miss a day of training, and my energy level remained very high. My fellow gym rats frequently gibed, "Old Navy is pumped today."

I entered my first contest ready to compete. I continued to train vigorously for the next 16 months and entered a total of 18 bodybuilding competitions, winning 35 trophies and Best Poser awards, including my NGA & IDFA Masters Pro Card, again, without sustaining a single training injury.

Simply put, if you are 20, it's OK to act like you are 20. If you are 64, it's not OK to act like you are 20.

Leave a comment:

• Dlew6969
    replied
    I now have to get my carer to wheel me into the rack....

Not true but i feel like some days....

Leave a comment:

• NuclearArms
    replied
    Hi FnF.
    I'd say I'm more intense in my 40's than any time in my past. Recovery takes longer, but I can afford better nutrition and sups to aid in that area.

Leave a comment:

• Shark67
    replied
    Originally posted by Timski View Post
    I still train heavy but I do more intensity techniques rather than just moving big weights around.

I do:
    Giant-Sets
    Tri-Sets
    Drop-Sets
    Rest Pause
    Super-Sets
    Half Reps
    and that kind of stuff..........allows you to kill a bodypart, but it`s so fast and intense, that heavy weights are impossible to use...still heavy,but for the amount of reps I`m shooting for.

I`ll also make sure to warmup a bit more on certain bodyparts or exercises that are hard on the joints.

Otherwise,there is no excuse to not go balls to the walls at every training session.

I am in my mid 30's and I incorporate the above intensity techniques in my workouts as I work out at home without a training partner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X