Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masterschamp
    replied
    I'm 51 years old and I am in the best shape of my life. I have won the two contests I entered this year, including an Open Overall, and am two weeks out form the third. I'm a married father of four, one of whom is a special needs child, I am a Guidance Counselor ,football coach, strength coach and youth camp counselor, as well. A person could not have a busier schedule...yet I still train heavy, use alot of volume and, for the most part, double split my sessions. I have been training for nearly 30 years now. The only consession I have had to make to age is that I have to eat slightly less carbs than before.
    In my mind it has always been about how bad you want it................with discipine, dedication, and a little pre planning you can do amazing things at any age.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Intenseone
    replied
    This is a great thread. I'm 45 and decided to do my first show in 16 years, the last was the 91' Nationals. Anyway......I've been using this anology since my first injury at the age of 40 "It's like buying a new car with an extended 75,000 mi warranty......at 75001, everything takes a shit"!!

Thats how I felt after I turned 40...torn pec (twice) knee surgery, irritated rotator cuff..etc, etc,etc. I've been training since I was 12 with no real injuries that would slow me down, but after 40.well!

Since I started training for the show, I have found that I am coming down just as fast as I did when I competed last, I'm still strong as hell, but recovery is not what it used to be. I do however train on a 4 day on 1 day off split, but being aware of my age I do somethings different that just your regular bodybuilding protocol. I am somewhat of an expert on sport-specific functional training and I incorporate functional movements into my regular compound training.

For example on legs, I will do squats, leg press, etc but the supplimental exercises might be a bulgarian split squat instead of an isolation exercise like extensions or I might superset regular leg curls with glute/ham raises along with reverse hypers or romainian DL. I will always include a single leg exercise in my program.

When I do shoulders, I will always include rotator cuff work (a stabilizer) with my regular movements. I find if i keep function in all of my programs I am less likely to incur an injury...same with any bodypart, I will include a functional exercise.

The key at our age is to keep the stabilizers strong through functional training to help prevent injurys in the future. It DOES work with bodybuilding type training.

Leave a comment:

• Rattbones
    replied
    I'm 40 and will be competing in my first show next year, but have been in the gym most of my life. The biggest change for me is how much I need to worm up my joints. I have always liked lifting heavy, and I also boxed as an armature for 15 years. It has taken it's tole on my joints. I don't like to run outside on the pavement anymore, and it takes me 15-20 min to worm up before my training begins.

Leave a comment:

• Blooming lotus
    replied
    Additional to what i've already posted on this thread, the older I get, the more I find myself prepared to push limits and come not only clinically allow myself the worse and worse condition each time I bench it to go back for notes or this or that in other aspects of my life, but the stronger and smarter I find myself coming back and the harder I get to work for it . . or smarter as the case may be. I love the challenge of putting myself into a comeback mode.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Leave a comment:

• WillBrink
    replied
    Originally posted by sammiesdad View Post
    Oh, it's functional. I do not collect non-functional knives nor replica firearms. That knife is built as ruggedly and would function as reliably as any knife there is. Only difference is, it will NEVER be used. It is art in the form of a knife.

David

I didn't mean functional as in it will not function as a knife, I meant functional in that you will never use it, thus it does not "function" in the collection other than to sit there and look pretty. It is art no doubt, and very pretty agreed.

PS, you saw my CC response on the mfw-moderated idea. No one responded. I did get the info on how to go about it via Google news groups. Looks pretty simple from what I gathered.
    Last edited by WillBrink; August 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sammiesdad
    replied
    Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
    Very pretty. Don't know what the hell you will do with such a knife other than look at it, but it sure is pretty. I love good guns and knives, but for me they all have to be functional in the collection. For example, I sold that big Trident knife as it never gets used. I did order a smaller version, which I am still waiting to get.
    Oh, it's functional. I do not collect non-functional knives nor replica firearms. That knife is built as ruggedly and would function as reliably as any knife there is. Only difference is, it will NEVER be used. It is art in the form of a knife.

David

Leave a comment:

• WillBrink
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatyana View Post
    Hey all,

I am really interested in people being well and healthy for their entire lifespan.

There is a huge mass of research being done on resistance training/weight training in older people.
    My article on sarcopenia should be if some use/interest:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articledeta...d=101&acatid=3

Leave a comment:

• WillBrink
    replied
    Too polite to point out that I had two #5s?
    More like too stupid to notice.

Hmmm...interesting. I may have to try that split.Thank you!
    Actually it's a spin off from a program I recently developed I call Brink's Hybrid System which has been very popular with those who have tried it from my forums and it had very pos effects on bodycomp and strength for me also. The above is a watered down version of a much more extensive program.

In related news...as knives are related to guns and dogs...I now own a knife 50% more expensive than my most expensive gun:

http://www.knifeart.com/tacmatoandda.html

That's $1800 that my Vegas strippers won't be getting.That would be

David
    Very pretty. Don't know what the hell you will do with such a knife other than look at it, but it sure is pretty. I love good guns and knives, but for me they all have to be functional in the collection. For example, I sold that big Trident knife as it never gets used. I did order a smaller version, which I am still waiting to get.

Leave a comment:

• Blooming lotus
    replied
    hhmmm.. it does seem to be one of those topics.

I quite get a bit excited about bio-med myself though. I was thaat close to the masters in that just to play with all the cool equipment you guys get .

That and tossing around some pharmecuetical math along the samish lines as we're talking about now actually.

I plan to take my master into a ph.d in education syllabus and curriculum construction for much the same reasons. That's why i'll be in the U.S. and hopefully able to compete.

I wont go on because that's not what the thread's for but from what you're quoting up there, particularly in relation to the phenylalanine you mentioned that has tyronsine as it's active target and works in cnjunction with the argine, it seems pretty clear imo that the release mechanism of the GH and the abily to maintain that mechanism comes down to whether or not the amino spectrum has enough presence and communication terms for that to happen.
    I think that the creatine could play a big role in that myself.
    Because I eat so much protein, aside from the aminos I get from other sources - and the source type pending when i want it to metabolise and upload - I catabolise my proteins with dry red wine and take an additional tyrosine and taurine along with some less immediately bio-available protein sources. Potassium seems to play a reasonable part in my mind aswell. .. maybe for thermal regulation sakes relative to the processes .. particularly
    pituitary cooling. . overtraining and thaat is something else i'm looking at. That powerlifter death really drove home to me importance of educating about that. . and that is what I believe happened. I albeit experienced the same thing myself as a conscious trade off decision on a temp heavy lifting work gig. I'm glad I got through it. I should nearly 've been wondering. Insane .
    I can't tell you the joy and health and vitality I get from eating like that though. I 'd love more ppl to know how to put the same chem together for themselves and their families to experience some of what we do. . and ideally through what they might swing on low income tables if I can put it together for them.
    So many ways to go or be broke . Seeing them not be able to afford to take care.. let alone work out and fuel it,.. and that's if they know how to at all, ( .. which most ppl imo do not ; ) that quite catches my attention.

Anyway, hi again and good luck with your projects and your competitions.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; August 24th, 2007, 07:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tatyana
    replied
    Originally posted by Blooming lotus View Post
    I really like your philosophy and focusses with this.

i think that between the postural and bone and joint strength that comes from resisted strength training, down to organ and nerve line performance and position because of those things, and the creatine and amino profile sympatheic to microcellular gusto and it's efficiacy - that is it in a complete nutshell.

Btw, are you saying that in elder ppl to restore muscle mass via myostatin inhibition that would be subjective to natural HGRH synthesis because of it's effect in cellular rejuvination as the older cells die? I quite live and treat and advise ppl off much the same theory. . for illness or for fitness projects and goals.. or rehab and long term wellness. it iis my personal hermenuetic.

I'm enrolled in a master of physiology / high ( elite) performance sport and exercise science myself over other things i neearly did instead and may or may not pick up later and so with so many enticing academic fields relative to this and health for life ideals , i wish you all the best in your future studies and what it reaps.

Thanks for the hi article.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
    COOL, I love physiology, you can't do biochemistry properly without physiology, and I have discovered that bodybuilding really is applied physiology and biochem.

I am considering doing a master's in sports psychology/nutrition, as it is fantastic having all this knowledge about well-being, it is just GETTING PEOPLE to take it on.

You know how studies in science go, in particular those with human subjects. The groups are small, and, often only one parameter, really is varied.

I also have seen a number of papers on giving people growth hormone, which has also had numerous benefits (and a few side effects).

I am a natural bodybuilder, so I do look for the 'alternative' to pharmaceuticals.

This is the interesting thing with growth hormone, it does decrease with age. But what is decreasing, as far as we can tell right now, is it's release, not its synthesis.

Obviously, if our somatotrophs still make the same amount of GH as we age, it can be released, as the human body is highly 'lazy' and evolution does allow any processes that require extra effort or engery to persist.

There are a number of things that have been suggested to trigger the release of GH, such as lower calorie intake (starvation as well), intense physical activity, sleep, and then there are a few nutritional things, like some amino acids (if my memory serves me correctly arginine and erm, phenylalanine in particular).

This is a big issue, well-being well into life. I work in hospital, and the impact of people not taking care of their bodies, well, I see those people in the corridors, in the clinical details sent to the labs, in their blood results.

Personally, I think it is tragic to see someone with full mental faculties trapped in a body that is failing, or the reverse.

There are so many ways to avoid cognitive and physical decline to remain active and well into old age.

As my consultant put it "Exercise may wear out a joint, you probably will have more aches and pains, but it is easier to replace a joint than a heart'

x
    x
    x

T

Leave a comment:

• villan
    replied
    i need more synthol as i get older

Leave a comment:

• sammiesdad
    replied
    Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
    Well I am the same in all but 4.
    Too polite to point out that I had two #5s?
    I feel I actually need less volume, but more frequency. Right now I am doing something of a hybrid, which is an upper lower split with a whole body, like upper Mon, Lower Wed, whole body Fri. That allows each major bodypart to get hit twice per week but the volume per workout is kept lower.
    Hmmm...interesting. I may have to try that split.
    Try to get some aerobic work on the Tue, Thurs, and maybe Sat, but not if I have to shoot an IDPA match! There's your damn gun reference.
    Thank you! In related news...as knives are related to guns and dogs...I now own a knife 50% more expensive than my most expensive gun:

http://www.knifeart.com/tacmatoandda.html

That's $1800 that my Vegas strippers won't be getting.
    PS, tried to buy www.GunsAndDogs.com but it was taken...
    That would be

David

Leave a comment:

• Blooming lotus
    replied
    p.s. really love your dietary research efforts attack plan and am a big fan of the same variable influence on all of those factors.

chees again.

Blooming Lotus.

Leave a comment:

• Blooming lotus
    replied
    I really like your philosophy and focusses with this.

i think that between the postural and bone and joint strength that comes from resisted strength training, down to organ and nerve line performance and position because of those things, and the creatine and amino profile sympatheic to microcellular gusto and it's efficiacy - that is it in a complete nutshell.

Btw, are you saying that in elder ppl to restore muscle mass via myostatin inhibition that would be subjective to natural HGRH synthesis because of it's effect in cellular rejuvination as the older cells die? I quite live and treat and advise ppl off much the same theory. . for illness or for fitness projects and goals.. or rehab and long term wellness. it iis my personal hermenuetic.

I'm enrolled in a master of physiology / high ( elite) performance sport and exercise science myself over other things i neearly did instead and may or may not pick up later and so with so many enticing academic fields relative to this and health for life ideals , i wish you all the best in your future studies and what it reaps.

Thanks for the hi article.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; August 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tatyana
    replied
    One of the reasons I LOVE Muscular Development mag is that is does review all the recent scientific literature.

I am sure I read this in one of the reviews........................

You don't have to go heavy to build muscle, high volume training (higher reps) work just as well.

This is great news for those who have been injured, those who have to watch their joints, those that are dieting and don't have the energy to push out big weights, and for the older athlete

x
    x
    x

T

Leave a comment:

Working...
X