Ted's Growth Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted's Growth Journal

Well, I'm not brand new to this, but I need to do something a little more to add some more excitement to my day to day workouts. Fortunately i've been pretty religious this past year to my self promise of getting in better shape. I was never really 'fat' just naturally always carried a little extra around the belt line other than that have been medium build. I'm going to be 36 in april and about 8 months ago I started working out and dieting pretty hard. Working out 6 days a week and eating very clean diet - 6 meals a day. At differnent times going 4-5 weeks low carb and other times running a 40,40,20 mix of protein carbs and fat. I've gotten some decent results but nothing spectacular. I started about 207lbs 18-20% body fat and currently I can't seem to break under 200lbs running 14-15% body fat with a 34 inch waist. I'm definitely stronger and much better endurance. I'd really like to get below 10% body fat. I'm not all that concerned about my end weight. I think I have some issues because I have high blood suger. I've kept it under control but I need to take an insulin shot each night - that just started last feb when I was suffering from a mrsa infection in my foot. Got that healed by May and have been working my butt off since.

Anyway, I'm going to start a journal here and the first phase is going to run from feb through the end of april. Will be trying to add muscle and keep fat gain to a very medium. If it's possible to add lb of muscle every week and a half while dropping to 11-12% body fat from the 14-15% i'm at now would be great. If I could get my waist down to 32 inches that would be perfect. That's my goal by april 30th. I've never measured arms, legs or any other bodypart besides chest and neck which are 46 inches and 17.5 inches respectively. I really need to take other measurements but don't carry any fat other than the area around the belt line. So, here is what i'm going to eat each day. With very few exceptions I'm going to eat the same thing each day - i've proven to myself over the last 8 months that I can do that. So let me start with that. I'll also post my work outs each day and get some measurments. This morning at 9am I weighed 205. My weight regularly seems to fluctuate between 200 and 205.

Proposed Diet - 6 meals total daily cal - 3706, Prot - 325 g, Carb - 220 g, Fat - 173g. This new diet will start on Monday - I'll be out of town visiting family tommorow afternoon so I know diet will be a little screwy and superbowl sunday - although I still eat pretty decent.

Here is link to my fitday page if anyone wants to follow:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=lumpy788

Meal 1 - 5am (PreWorkout)

4 omega 3 eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 slices 2% milk cheese, 2 sweet potatoes
    694cal, 57g prot, 58g carb, 25g fat

Meal 2 - 8am (Post workout, while driving to work - 1 hr drive)
    1 poptart, 50g Whey shake, 1/2 cup almonds
    595cal, 54g prot, 43g carb, 23g fat.

Meal 3 - 11am (at work)
    Chicken breast, 2 packs kashi oatmeal, 1/3 cup almonds
    620cal, 47g prot, 43g carb, 24g fat.

Meal 4 - 2pm (at work)
    1 cup of spinach, 4 slices turkey breast tossed on salad, 1/2 tbl spoon olive oil, 1 sweet potato, 8 oz salmon steak
    611cal, 52g prot, 35g carb, 24g fat.

Meal 5 - 5pm (at work shortly before driving home)
    50g Whey shake, 1/2 cup of almonds
    545cal, 57g prot, 11g carb, 32g fat.

Meal 6 - 8pm
    4 omega 3 eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 slices of 2% milk cheese
    488 cls, 53g prot, 10g carb, 25g fat.

Well that's it for now. Tommorow morning is chest day so I'll post that workout tommorow - that is the last workout for this week. Next week i'll be running the same split I have been for the last 4 weeks, I'm just going to drop the reps a few and increase poundages. I've been doing 3-4 exercises per body part with 2 sets of 12 for each and a drop set after.
    Til later, any help or critiques would be a lot of help because I think i need to do something a little different to get better results. By the way this posted diet is more than I've ate in the past usually my diet floats between 2300 and 3000 cals per day - from what i've been reading with my activity level I might not have been eating enough.

Later,

Ted
    Last edited by teddy788; February 2nd, 2008, 02:07 AM.
    Try not to let hurdles hold you down because they will always be there.

Today is my regularly scheduled day off - the one day a week I don't do any workout. Yesterday's chest workout:

Incline DB Presses - 12 x 55s, 12 x 55s, 5 x 55s, 6 x 45s
    Flies - 12 x 135, 6 x 135, 6 x 120, 10 x 105
    Inc Bench Press (Smith Rack) - 10 x 110, 10 x 110, 10 x 110, 6 x 110
    Flat DB Press x 12 x 40x, 12 x 40x, 8 x 40s
    Ab work - 4 sets

30 minutes cardio on eliptical.

weight - 10:35am - 208 lbs

I started eating carbs again friday night, I'm sure that's why my weight jumped up so quickly.

I tried to eat good, but being on the road most of the day and going out to dinner with family sort of shot a hole in that.

Just the food I know about totaled 3134 cals, 142g fat, 254g carb and 200g prot, I know I had some additional junk thrown in there as well because we didn't get back home til 2am - 3 hr drive and the junk helps keep me awake while driving.

Comment

Here is my first status pic. I'm going to consider this a starting point. I need to try to take actual measurements later:

tedstat2308.JPG

Comment

you might want to consider dropping your fat intake alittle,if you carbs are that high,also you might want to work more on your thickness (upper and lower body )if you are planning to compete.shaving?

Comment

I should easily be able to cut some fat out of that. As far as competing. I hadn't really considered that as of yet because I figured I had so far to go, but we'll see if I make some serious progress over the next couple of years. I know I definitely have a good bit of body hair. I was going to wait till I had a little more definition in my abs before I cosidered clearing some of the forest.

Comment

I can drop 2 whole eggs from 1st and half meal and cut 1/2 cup of almonds out of the day. That should cut 603 cals, and 48 grams of fat. That only cuts out 36g prot and 11g carb.

Comment

My legs have always been pretty strong and defined, but I have a heck of a time adding any real thickness to them. I do deadlifts as part of my shoulder day and do leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls and calf raises, do I just keep plugging away, or is there a better way to add thickness to my legs?

Comment

Ok, above adjustments to my diet put me at 2876 cals for the day with 283 g prot, 181g carb and 114g fat.

Comment

Did legs this morning:

Leg extensions: 12 x 175, 10 x 180, 8 x 180
                  Leg Press Mach: 12 x 300, 12 x 320, 12 x 320
                  Leg Curls: 8 x 100, 8 x 90, 8 x 80, 8 x 70
                  Leg Adduction: 8 x 150, 8 x 150, 8 x 150
                  Leg Abduction: 8 x 180, 8x 180, 8 x 180
                  Calf Raises: 20 x 300, 20 x 300, 20 x 300

Cardio - 15 min Hiit on treadmill - 3 min warm up, 10 mins of 60 sec sprints alternating with 4 mph walk 3% grade 2 min cool down

4 sets of 8 x 10lb reverse crunch on end of bench.

Comment

diet for the day. Currently i'm finishing meal 5 so I've only got meal 6 left and today has been perfect - no cravings, no hunger no problems: Ate 6 meals, every 3 hours starting at 5am last meal at 8pm

Totals for the day: Cals - 2849 Prot - 298g Carb - 173g Fat - 106g

meal 1(pre workout - 2 sweet potato, Protein shake 50g half whey, half casin

meal 2(post workout) - Protein shake 50g half whey, half casin, 1 poptart, 1/4 cup almond,cashew,peanut mix.

meal 3 - chicken breast, 1/4 cup almond, cashew,peanut mix, 2 packages kashi oatmeal

meal 4 - 6 oz salmon steak, raw spinach, 1/2 tbl spoon olive oil, 4 slices turkey breast, 1 sweet potato

meal 5 - 50g protein shake half whey, half casin, 1/4 cup mix nuts

meal 6 - 4 omega-3 eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 slices 2% mile cheese

Comment

Today is shoulder day - inclueds dead lifts and clean & presses - two of the best lifts ever.

Comment

Shoulder workout today:

Dead Lift 4x8x155
                        Clean and Press 5x75 5x65 8x65 8x65
                        Crucifix(latraise+frontraise dbs) 3x20 3x15 6x15 8x10 5x10 5x10
                        Shoulder Press Machine 3x10x110
                        Abs:
                        Crunch Mach - 2x12x80
                        Twist Mach - 2x12x80
                        Leg raises - 2x12x15

Hiit Cardio Bike
                        3 min warm up, 3 min cool down
                        24 mins alternating 30 sec moderate/30 sprint on random hills

Comment

This morning is cardio day - done on empty stomach. If I can get there early enough i'll hit the hr long body pump class then a slow jog for 30 mins. If not then I'll split 90 mins between jogging and eliptical machine.

Comment

OK, got around to taking measurements this morning - so depressing, the tape definitely doesn't lie.

Chest: 44"
                            Above bellybutton: 42"
                            cold bicep: 14.5"
                            Quad: 21.5"
                            calf : 15.5"
                            Belt Line: 39"

Comment

Today was arms and abs:

Weighted Dips: 5x35, 3x35, 6x25, 4x25, 6x10, 6x10, 3 x body weight
                              Chin Assist: 4x50, 3x50, 6x60, 7x60, 6x70, 4x70, 3x70, 4x80, 2x80
                              Skull Crushers: 10xEZbar+40, 10xEZbar+40, 10xEZbar+40
                              Preacher Curl: 8xEZbar+40, 4xEZbar+40, 8xEZbar+20, 8xEZbar+20
                              PushDowns: 8x140, 8x140, 8x140
                              Seated Alt DB Curls: 6x30, 4x30, 3x30, 3x30, 3x30
                              Incline Crunch 3x10x25
                              Side Twist Mach: 2x15x85
                              Hanging Knee Raises: 2x20xbodyweight.

Comment

Working...
                              X