No announcement yet.

Tjoes Training Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shit, just looked back for last weeks arm session because I remember it feeling pretty good... never logged it. smh. Can't find the paper anywhere either.

Comment

• Arms (212.0)

rope pressdown
      40 x 25
      60 x 20
      80 x 15
      100 x 4 sets of 12 reps

close grip bench
      bar x 15
      135 x 12
      185 x 10
      225 x 4 sets of 8 reps

alt db curls
      20s x 20
      30s x 15
      40s x 4 sets of 12 reps

barbell curl
      45 x 15
      65 x 12
      85 x 4 sets of 10 reps

ez bar OHExt
      40 x 25
      60 x 20
      80 x 4 sets of 15 reps

preacher curl, ez bar, shoulder width grip
      40 x 15
      60 x 4 sets of 15 reps

coleman kickbacks (same time)
      15s x 4 sets of 20 reps

cable curls (like a front dbl bi)
      10 x 4 sets of 20 reps

well, pretty good day. All by myself because my "training partners" tummy hurt, LOL
      tomorrow will be leg day with 10 x 10 that should burn off whatever is left...

Comment

• legs (210.4)

not good.
        was doing my 10 x 10 with 225 today. relatively light for me.
        made it through 6 sets no issue and on the 7th my back tweaked out me. not really sure what the hell it was but it's killing me now.
        slammed 4 ibuprofens and trying to take it easy but NOTHING is comfortable.
        frustrating. for was tight. weight was light. wasn't rushing.
        Only thing for sure is that my back didn't feel good when I woke up this morning (think my matters sucks). Woke up around 8 and was squatting by about 10. Maybe not enough time to be up moving around? Dunno.

Comment

• Damn hope it heals fast. I have injured my low back plenty of times and that is one of the worst pains... Couldnt tie my shoes for 2 weeks
          Training Log

Comment

• I have my father adjust my back 2-3x a week and have his message therapists do deep tissue a couple times a month... Keeps it not so tight
            Training Log

Comment

• Might need to get some liquor to ease the pain
              Training Log

Comment

• Knock on wood my back has been pretty good through the years. As much as this sucks right now I think in the big picture it's still a pretty minor issue. Time will tell I suppose. Pisser is we are going out for Sarahs birthday dinner later... not a good time to waling around like I'm 90. Ugh

Comment

• Know how that back shit is brother. Shit sucks, sometimes you just have to wait it out. I try to train around those tweaks when possible, but sometimes you need a few days. Usually clears up for me in 3 or 4 days. Depends on the severity.

Just got off a 6 month lay off myself

KEEP KILLIN SHIT!!
                  Journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=50558
                  Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A4lWT65ng

Comment

• tweaked out my back on Saturday squatting. It was my 7th set with 225 and the tightest form I could possibly use. Because I am trying to get away from the heavy weight I wanted to do the big set of 20 like last week and then 10 x 10 the following week (yesterday). I've done 10 x 10 with 315 in the past. Squatted 495 for a few singles just recently so 225 is less than 50% of my max. Go figure! LOL
                    I suffered through yesterday and took 800mg of ibuprofen 3x. Slept pretty shitty and had a HARD time getting out of bed this morning. Certainly worse today. Said F it and went to the ER right down the street.
                    Great doc, explained the story to him, had me do some things and checked the reflexes etc. Decided it was NOT a disc but a pretty good strain or sprain DEEP in the back towards the base of my spine. Said it's pretty much impossible to tell exactly what muscle/tendon/ligament was injured because it's about 3" below the skin surface.
                    Jammed his thumbs into my spine between the erectors and there was no issue, no tenderness, nothing. No pain down the legs or into the feet. No numbness.
                    It sucks.
                    Just moving around is brutal.
                    Guess I got a little time off coming up.
                    Originally posted by Walking Beast View Post
                    Know how that back shit is brother. Shit sucks, sometimes you just have to wait it out. I try to train around those tweaks when possible, but sometimes you need a few days. Usually clears up for me in 3 or 4 days. Depends on the severity.

Just got off a 6 month lay off myself

KEEP KILLIN SHIT!!
                    never had nothing like this before. Sucks! How you been and where you been at. Forced 6 months off or you just needed it?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjoe View Post
                      tweaked out my back on Saturday squatting. It was my 7th set with 225 and the tightest form I could possibly use. Because I am trying to get away from the heavy weight I wanted to do the big set of 20 like last week and then 10 x 10 the following week (yesterday). I've done 10 x 10 with 315 in the past. Squatted 495 for a few singles just recently so 225 is less than 50% of my max. Go figure! LOL
                      I suffered through yesterday and took 800mg of ibuprofen 3x. Slept pretty shitty and had a HARD time getting out of bed this morning. Certainly worse today. Said F it and went to the ER right down the street.
                      Great doc, explained the story to him, had me do some things and checked the reflexes etc. Decided it was NOT a disc but a pretty good strain or sprain DEEP in the back towards the base of my spine. Said it's pretty much impossible to tell exactly what muscle/tendon/ligament was injured because it's about 3" below the skin surface.
                      Jammed his thumbs into my spine between the erectors and there was no issue, no tenderness, nothing. No pain down the legs or into the feet. No numbness.
                      It sucks.
                      Just moving around is brutal.
                      Guess I got a little time off coming up.
                      never had nothing like this before. Sucks! How you been and where you been at. Forced 6 months off or you just needed it?

I destroyed my back when I was 23, back in 2003. By 2004 I took a 2 year lay off. It wasnt looking good that I would train again. After multiple attempts and not being able to get out of bed without rolling , I backed off completely. I kept fucking myself up whenever I would finally recovery from the strain and try to train again.

Though, with time it did improve. When I finally did get back into training I was 155 lbs and focused on core strength, which I believe helped me take pressure off the spine. So I did heavy weighted abdominal work. Decline sit ups with a plate on chest and various machines, cables very heavy.

Its good you dont have any nerve pain. I have ALOT. I have carpal tunnel now in both hands, and nerve damage around my neck, which also makes my hands further numb (for the last 3 plus years), 24/7. Plus atleast 4 ruptured discs in spine and various bone spurs. And alot of continuous acid in my throat, which at times is like drowning in acid and have to bypass sleep sometimes. Though a new med has helped keep it somewhat managable.

It was a mix of forced and somewhat needed. I never actually lost any strength before the break. I was still doing lat pulldowns with plates added to the 300 lb stack for reps without straps. No real grip issues. My grip never failed before I was done with a set for back, and I never train light. Though my sensory nerves were more trapped then usual and causing my hands to feel like numb clubs. I was fine once I gripped something, but it was just a nasty feeling in the hands. It always is, but this was more pronounced. The biggest issue being, whenever I would lay down to sleep, or just lay down, within minutes my hands were throbbing and buzzing with pain and falling asleep completely. This meant skipping sleep sometimes as well.

So it was more of a decision. I decided that instead of risk possible loss of use of my hands, beyond just sensory, I would try taking 6 months to a year off. A year was the original plan. Since I never tried that before. Nothing else has worked and its been getting gradually worse, as I train through it. After 6 months I decided fuck it, its not really getting much better, so I started up again. I thought maybe a year would return some feeling into the hands, but I didnt make it that far. I was starting to think even if more feeling returned into my hands that it would just come back when everything gets inflammed again from the training.

I get nerve pain all over, as well as numbness in various areas. Even sometimes I feel an electric type of shock in my face, though rare. I usually train through shit and did some very reckless shit during my deadlifting period in 2003 as well. Though all my training has always been reckless for the last 20 years, but that was especially bad. Leaning backward with 730 lbs off the power rack at lowest setting, doing "beast lifts" as I called them. Deadlifting with bar behind the legs. Mostly using my back to make the lift. Massive volume. Long rests but 6 to 8 hour back sessions. All sets to failure. The same methods were used for all body parts. Very destructive. I was only 185 at this time.

So I know how that shit is. I try to train around those strains whenever they flare up. With me my shit is always somewhat pulled out and strained. Its more a matter of the degree. I manage that degree and go set by set, also taking alot of risks as the training sessions continue, not really knowing which set will yank some shit out of place. If one side gets damaged Ill usually train the other side. If lower back gets strained ill train upper, etc. Im fucking stubborn as hell once I get into that state of mind in the gym. Ill train until Im anihilated if not careful.

If it gets really bad its good to take atleast a week off sometimes. Even ruptured disks you can recover from, as over time I found the disks seem to re absorb into the body, as the fluid leaks out. I used to get a pinch between my scapula when I tried to contract my arms back. After a few years and some light rehab and core work, that issue went away. That one was especially bad for trying to train. You should be ok aslong as you keep an eye on it.

I avoid deadlifts completely now and squats. I find you can build unlimited size without them, but since youre a powerlifter its easier said than done. I know how much fun deadlifts are. Eventually your body may rebel against the shit and you may want to switch over to machines for legs and back. My lats personally got the thickest and widest when I stopped deadlifting and started focusing purely on rowing work. Traps you can hit with modified dumbbell laterals, if you cant shrug. My traps also got the thickest after I stopped deadlifting. Everything was at its largest after that period, by far. Everyone is different though. If need be there are many options for building size though. Many angles and techniques. Im very limited now to my exercise selection, I just hit the few angles I can hit with maximum intensity and high volume

Your core should already be super strong, the way you lift. You might just need to rest 3 or 4 days, a week, and then warm up light and add weight slowly. Best not to make 100 lb or more jumps right away if you go back into deadlifting and squatting. If you feel some nasty pressure or pain putting a bar on your back, or deadlifting, follow your instincts and switch to something else for a while.

KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THAT SHIT!!
                      Journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=50558
                      Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A4lWT65ng

Comment

• The BACK better?? You jinxed me man.... I was doing legs Monday (stiff legged deads) first time with a barbell in a while, light weight 135 for reps and the weight bumped the cage on the way up; shifting my body on the way up... Sharp pain shot down to my butt and calf, took my breath away... Figured I would wake up stiff as hell, but so far i'm okay.. Just checking on ya
                        Training Log

Comment

• Beast - thanks man and glad you're back at it once again!

CMC - glad you are ok too! LOL, crazy once something is in your head... B-neva kept thinking shit before he did legs the other day too. I'm doing OK for now. It's still there and wouldn't even try to train yet but I can move around way batter than I was. No pills yet today so I think that's a good sign. I will still take one before bed tough because I think a good nights sleep is very important when trying to recover from something.

NEW low today - 209.4​ I wish it had been when I was training but I'll take it either way. NO cardio yesterday but I will have a free hour between clients tonight in which I hope to hit the recumbent a little bit. Get that fresh blood flow in there.

Comment

• Glad its better. Low back pain is something fierce!
                            Training Log

Comment

• Yesterday - cardio at the gym, recumbent bike 45 minutes. 5 minute blocks on the following levels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 3 then 20 rack deadlifts with an empty bar and 20 "air squats".
                              Only took 1 pill yesterday and that was just before bed to make sure I got a good nights sleep.
                              I still feel it for sure and wouldn't do any "real training" just yet, but I am moving around WAY better now. My dog has been hurting too and I've had to pick him up to bring him outside (he can't go up/down stairs). It's been tricky but knock on wood I've been managing.

Comment

• sounds like you're gonna live to see another day.. you eating the same while chilling out on the weights?
                                Training Log

Comment

Working...
                                X