Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tjoes Training Journal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Squats

    Squat
    bar x 10
    95 x 4
    135 x 4
    added belt
    180 x 5 sets of 4 reps (80% of Mondays weight)

    obviously very easy. Felt good though.
    the difference between 200 reps a week and 45 is silly. I almost feel like I've done nothing this week. That's ok as I hope to keep climbing up in the weight nice and steady. I imagine it won't be "easy" for very long.

    Comment


    • Know what you mean. The diet is the real bitch for me too. Love to train , hate to eat. I only like to train when Im doing specific things, like breaking records. I hate to feel like im maintaining. Even during my maintenance phase now I will be aiming for records, even if its not ideal. I have to find that reason or motivation otherwise I withdraw completely these days and wont come back for a long time. Its not like before where I felt obligated to do it. As you know, once youve seen what you are capable of you have nothing left to prove to yourself.

      Very interesting approach with the low volume. I may experiment myself with low volume. Im definately doing lower volume now, relative to my normal.

      KEEP KILLIN THAT SHIT !!
      Journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=50558
      Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A4lWT65ng

      Comment


      • Yeah, so far I like the lower volume stuff. I always change things up as you know. I'd really like to get my numbers up again before switching anything though. There are a couple other moves I am itching to put in the mix so it's actually hard for me at the minute to hold off. The only thing keeping me on track right now is knowing/seeing the little improvements every week.

        Comment


        • Bench

          Bench with bands today:
          bar x 20
          added black monster minis:
          bar x 10
          95 x 3
          135 x 3
          pinky on ring
          175 x 3 of 3
          grip between smooth and ring
          175 x 3 of 3
          index on edge of smooth
          175 x 3 of 3

          and that was it.
          Last few bench days started getting rough and I feel my speed is lacking. My second set today was SLOW and I almost dropped 20lbs but I stayed with it. I got quicker as the day went on but they were still a bit too slow for my liking. For the record the bar weight was 50% of my current Theo Max (355.3).

          I have to keep the bands in the mix I think. I ike the straight weight for less volume and a lower % on light day but I do not feel it is as effective for me.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tjoe View Post
            Yeah, so far I like the lower volume stuff. I always change things up as you know. I'd really like to get my numbers up again before switching anything though. There are a couple other moves I am itching to put in the mix so it's actually hard for me at the minute to hold off. The only thing keeping me on track right now is knowing/seeing the little improvements every week.
            I know how that shit is. Its crazy now because I find myself at the peak of my size and strength, breaking records weekly, and then im so fucking uninterested and burnt out I stop anyway and take breaks when I feel like it now. That would have been fucking sacrireligious for me in the past. Its just become much less meaningful at this stage. Ill still continue to break records and get larger yearly, but only when Im in the fucking mood. ha ha . It is way harder to back off when you dont have alot of pain physically and you are breaking records consistantly though. For sure. My mental burnout just gets so extreme that I can roll with breaks when I feel like it. Hard for the first few weeks to stay out but gets easier.

            KILL THAT SHIT !!
            Journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=50558
            Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A4lWT65ng

            Comment


            • Originally posted by tjoe View Post
              Bench with bands today:
              bar x 20
              added black monster minis:
              bar x 10
              95 x 3
              135 x 3
              pinky on ring
              175 x 3 of 3
              grip between smooth and ring
              175 x 3 of 3
              index on edge of smooth
              175 x 3 of 3

              and that was it.
              Last few bench days started getting rough and I feel my speed is lacking. My second set today was SLOW and I almost dropped 20lbs but I stayed with it. I got quicker as the day went on but they were still a bit too slow for my liking. For the record the bar weight was 50% of my current Theo Max (355.3).

              I have to keep the bands in the mix I think. I ike the straight weight for less volume and a lower % on light day but I do not feel it is as effective for me.

              When I use the mini bands I increase the weight each set, until it gets difficult (speed). With the monster mini band I use the same weight each set (might up the weight once). I always feel the weak spot in the ROM with the monster minis. I use the average band for simulating starting strength and partials.

              Comment


              • Squats

                Squats (yesterday, Monday)
                bar x 10
                65 x 5
                105 x 5
                155 x 5
                205 x 5
                245 x 5 sets of 5 reps
                and they all felt pretty good today.


                Originally posted by Walking Beast View Post
                I know how that shit is. Its crazy now because I find myself at the peak of my size and strength, breaking records weekly, and then im so fucking uninterested and burnt out I stop anyway and take breaks when I feel like it now. That would have been fucking sacrireligious for me in the past. Its just become much less meaningful at this stage. Ill still continue to break records and get larger yearly, but only when Im in the fucking mood. ha ha . It is way harder to back off when you dont have alot of pain physically and you are breaking records consistantly though. For sure. My mental burnout just gets so extreme that I can roll with breaks when I feel like it. Hard for the first few weeks to stay out but gets easier.

                KILL THAT SHIT !!
                Mentally I am in a pretty good place at the moment. I have some normal "life stress" going on so I think the lower volume thing right is even perfect in that regard. Only 1 move to think about. Only 1 number a day to deal with. No mental work needed at all as far as my training goes.

                Originally posted by nycmil View Post
                When I use the mini bands I increase the weight each set, until it gets difficult (speed). With the monster mini band I use the same weight each set (might up the weight once). I always feel the weak spot in the ROM with the monster minis. I use the average band for simulating starting strength and partials.
                The next band up for me and I would barely use any bar weight. My bands are getting older too and when I get another set I think instead of getting all the different sizes I'll buy a mini band "pack". That way on week 1 I could use 1 band and x weight, week 2 I'd go with 2 bands and less bar weight and again week 3 with 3 bands and even less bar weight. Fourth week I could skip the bands all together and let the joints rest a bit before starting over again.

                Comment


                • Bench

                  Bench
                  bar x 20
                  95 x 6
                  135 x 6
                  185 x 6
                  225 x 6
                  260 x 6
                  added the belt
                  300 x 4 sets of 6 reps the 6th rep of each set was paused and I BARELY squeezed each one up to lockout!

                  BY FAR the hardest day yet. However, I know I am only back to the bands for 1 week so far but I felt MUCH faster on all the warm ups. Of course the working sets got rough. Anyway, I feel the bands did work a bit last week.
                  How to progress from here... not sure yet.
                  I know I hoped on the scale on Saturday or Sunday and I was 212.something. I need to bring that up for sure.

                  Comment


                  • Deadlift

                    Deads
                    bar x 10
                    135 x 5
                    225 x 5
                    315 x 5
                    added belt
                    405 x 5 sets of 5 reps

                    They felt pretty good and I noticed I was taking them back down to the floor kinda slow. Not sure if this was on purpose or it just happened but either way, an observation.
                    Had a meal 90 minutes prior and I think 120 would have been better.

                    Side note:
                    My elbows hurt pretty bad today. I know the bench work is getting tough. I wanted to keep the bands in there some way (and I will this week just to finish off the training cycle) but I may need to adjust something next week. Maybe just Monday, Wednesday and Friday? Not really sure yet but things have been progressing well and I don't want to wreck it.
                    I am estimating (IF I were fresh) my bench 1rm right now would be around 390-400 or so. Guessing. I need to keep it going so I can break right past that old 425 pr...

                    Comment


                    • Nice benching and deadlifting. Mentally im fucking burnt out like usual, but Im finding 3x a week pretty managable since I can just eat as I normally would and keep my size, maybe even grow slow at this stage. When its time Ill do some focused growing.

                      Strong bench max estimate. Especially since you havent focused on that for a while. Sure it would come back quickly if you decided to move in that direction.

                      KILL THAT SHIT !!
                      Journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=50558
                      Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A4lWT65ng

                      Comment


                      • Squats

                        Squat (easy day)
                        bar x 10
                        95 x 4
                        145 x 4
                        added belt
                        195 x 5 sets of 4 reps
                        all very easy. things felt good. certainly feels like I didn't do anything BUT it did seem to "loosen" me up a bit which I suppose is the point.

                        I've got my easy bench work tomorrow (or band stuff) and then I need to focus on if/how I will switch things around a bit next week. Squats and deads seem fine but I think I am on the brink of missing reps on my bench and I don't want to do that.

                        Originally posted by Walking Beast View Post
                        Nice benching and deadlifting. Mentally im fucking burnt out like usual, but Im finding 3x a week pretty managable since I can just eat as I normally would and keep my size, maybe even grow slow at this stage. When its time Ill do some focused growing.

                        Strong bench max estimate. Especially since you havent focused on that for a while. Sure it would come back quickly if you decided to move in that direction.

                        KILL THAT SHIT !!
                        Thanks man! Mentally I am actually feeling better and better with my training. This lower volume stuff is really doing wonders for me right now.

                        Comment


                        • Bench

                          Rope pressdowns (need to warm up my bum elbow)
                          30 x 4 sets of 25 reps

                          Bench (bands)
                          bar x 20
                          added monster minis:
                          bar x 3
                          95 x 3
                          135 x 3
                          added belt
                          175 x 3 of 3 pinkies on ring
                          175 x 3 of 3 grip between ring and smooth
                          175 x 3 of 3 index right by the smooth

                          So, my left elbow hurt all night and all morning. I warmed up with the rope predawns hoping it would get some blood in the area. Not sure if that really worked or not but my elbows were OK while benching. Now an hour later, it hurts again like it did this morning but no worse. Go figure.
                          Performance wise, I was more cautious with how "explosive" I pressed but honestly they ALL felt much faster and more controlled than last week. Interesting... Of course that throws a monkey wrench in the idea of changing the routine slightly... LOL
                          O-Well, at least today felt good.

                          Comment


                          • Squats

                            Squats
                            bar x 10
                            95 x 5
                            135 x 5
                            185 x 5
                            225 x 5
                            added belt
                            265 x 5 sets of 5 reps
                            all felt good.
                            Sometimes I feel like I should push it a little bit and toss on more weight but then I think about squatting the bar not long ago. I have to stay on course on keep going.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by tjoe View Post
                              Rope pressdowns (need to warm up my bum elbow)
                              30 x 4 sets of 25 reps

                              Bench (bands)
                              bar x 20
                              added monster minis:
                              bar x 3
                              95 x 3
                              135 x 3
                              added belt
                              175 x 3 of 3 pinkies on ring
                              175 x 3 of 3 grip between ring and smooth
                              175 x 3 of 3 index right by the smooth

                              So, my left elbow hurt all night and all morning. I warmed up with the rope predawns hoping it would get some blood in the area. Not sure if that really worked or not but my elbows were OK while benching. Now an hour later, it hurts again like it did this morning but no worse. Go figure.
                              Performance wise, I was more cautious with how "explosive" I pressed but honestly they ALL felt much faster and more controlled than last week. Interesting... Of course that throws a monkey wrench in the idea of changing the routine slightly... LOL
                              O-Well, at least today felt good.

                              I just ordered glycine yesterday for joint and ligaments/connective tissue. It's supposed to be pretty good and very cost effective. I'll let you know if I see any benefit from it. Maybe something to look into to help keep your joints and stuff fresh
                              Training Log

                              Comment


                              • Bench

                                Bench
                                bar x 20
                                95 x 5
                                135 x 5
                                185 x 5
                                225 x 5
                                280 x 5
                                added the belt:
                                310 x 5 *was the goal
                                315 x 5 *was the bonus round

                                On an adjustable bench with the seat almost vertical:
                                db overhead ext both hands at the same time where the db hits the top of my shoulders
                                SS/with
                                front raises
                                Both moves done with 10lbs DBs for 20 reps of each move and 3 sets.
                                This was NOT for any building purposes but just blood in the joints. Actually got a little tiny pump from that and it felt pretty good. lol

                                *So as you may notice I decided to switch up the bench routine a bit. Last week was REAL rough and I am not sure I would have completed 320 for 6 sets of 4 today. Since we have the Charity meet coming up in a month I figure I will try to build for that, I guess.
                                My Tuesday bench routine will now look like this:
                                set 1 - a weight for reps that puts my TM at 90%
                                set 2 - a weight for reps that puts my TM at a current "high"
                                set 3 - add albs and try again.
                                Since I only have 4 weeks left it was 5 reps this week, then 4s next, followed by 3s and then of course 2s. The very next Sunday will be the meet where I will obviously go for singles in the same fashion.
                                Normally I would not try to "climb" in intensity like that but since my volume has been so high (24-25 working reps) the sudden drop should allow my intensity to go up.
                                We'll see how that goes...


                                Originally posted by CMC191 View Post
                                I just ordered glycine yesterday for joint and ligaments/connective tissue. It's supposed to be pretty good and very cost effective. I'll let you know if I see any benefit from it. Maybe something to look into to help keep your joints and stuff fresh
                                Excellent. keep me posted and thanks. I bought some Glucosamine and chondroitin the other day and started talking those at least. Hopefully helps a little.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X