Tjoes Training Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench 11-16-19

So I hit triples yesterday on the bench.
    warmed up like normal:
    bar x 20
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3 or 5
    then I hit 80% of my my latest max (350):
    280 x 3
    285 x 3
    290 x 3
    295 x 3
    300 x 3 on vid
    305 x 3 on vid
    310 x 3 on vid
    315 x 2 on vid

It was a long day at the gym and I had some things to do so I called it there. I was very pleased where I ended up on that session and very happy with almost 24 reps over 80%

*side note:
    Pretty sure I had a minor tear in my left biceps or forearm. I never felt anything during training but one day a couple weeks ago I mentioned to D at work that my left arm was real odd/tight. Like it would tear if I did anything too strenuous. I babied it and took it easy and pretty much forgot about it. Then over the weekend I noticed in the shower I had a pretty good yellow bruise at the base of my biceps. A quick search said the color most likely indicates its about 10-14 days old. I avoided any kind of biceps move and direct rows or pull downs ever since. I hit straight arm cable pullovers, rev pec dec and shrugs last week. Today I hit rev pec dec, face pulls, shrugs and HS rows with just 1 plate a side for sets of 25 reps. It feels OK, but not enough for me to push.
    I have a feeling it happened when I had a pretty heavy accessory day a few weeks ago. I was doing the HS row with 5 a side and I was using 75s for hammer curls (several sets of triples). I can only assume it was one of those movements. Anyway, I'll be cautious with it for a while and hope for the best. Not being sure when it happened is good. Not having an instant black/purple bruise is good. Not having a muscle roll up like a window shade is good. So I got that going for me.

Comment

• Bench 11-23-19

So, I have been keeping it pretty tame for my biceps/forearm the last couple weeks. Hitting some rear delt, traps maybe some straight arm pull overs, things like that.
      Also have been hammering the over head presses lately on the smith, STEEP incline. Been feeling pretty good there.

This Saturday I hit the bench (video above)

Bar x 10, 10
      95 x 5
      135 x 5
      185 x 5
      225 x 3
      275 x 3
      work sets:
      300 x 2 (this was 85% of 350, my last single)
      310 x 2
      320 x 2
      325 x 2
      330 x 2

Then I hit elbows out extensions:
      20s x 30
      30s x 20
      40s x 10
      50s x 10
      55s x 10
      Those last 2 heavy sets may not have been too pretty. I tried to keep the form as tight as I could though. I think that movement is really helping me out.

rope press downs
      30 x 2 minutes straight, didn't count reps just kept going.

weighed in at 192.6 Saturday morning.
      lots of sugar around my training and a birthday dinner for Sarah that evening.
      Sunday morning, 194.4

Comment

• Bench 11-30-19

Bench
        bar x 15
        95 x 10
        135 x 5
        185 x 5
        225 x 5
        275 x 3
        325 x 1
        340 x 1
        355 x 1 the goal
        360 x 1
        365 x 1

Elbows out extensions
        25s x 4 sets of 25

Dips with chains, set for accommodating resistance
        Me + chains x 20 then not quite 20

Rope press downs
        30 x 3 minutes straight just getting reps, blood flow...

Excellent day of training. VERY happy with the 365, I didn't see that coming today

Comment

• So, it's been a rough week with snow and overtime.
          I did some trap/back stuff on Sunday (the day after benching) but haven't been to the gym since.
          I was going to go today but again a kind of tight schedule and anything I would have done would have been minimal because I prefer to be off on Thursday and Friday so I am rested well to bench on Saturday. I'm also doing a 12-14 hour shift tomorrow so I didn't feel the need to try and squeak anything in today. O-well. Hopefully I am just well rested for benching. I'll also have extra time Saturday so I may hit some stuff after the bench as well.

Comment

• 12-7-19 Bench

So it was a pretty light week for training with the snow storm and the over time this week. Last Sunday I trained and then nothing at all during the weak. LOL, see what I did there? Anyway, 13.5 hours at work yesterday so i tried to get my food in and get some solid sleep.
            Had a box of Fruity Pebbles for breakfast and got ready to train...

Bench
            bar x 20
            95 x 5
            135 x 5
            185 x 5
            225 x 5
            275 x 5
            started the work at 80% of last my last max (365)
            295 x 3
            300 x 3
            305 x 3
            310 x 3
            315 x 3
            320 x 3
            325 x 3
            330 x 2 and missed the 3rd reps.
            225 x 17

Tried out Landmine shoulder presses
            25 x 25, 25

rope press downs
            30 x 3 minutes straight.

Comment

• Bench 12-15-19

Bench
              bar x 20
              95 x 10
              135 x 5
              185 x 5
              225 x 5
              275 x 3
              315 x 2
              325 x 2
              335 x 2
              340 x 2
              345 x not quite 2

Elbows out ext
              30s x 12
              40s x 10
              50s x 8
              60s x 6, 6
              40s x 20

rope press downs
              30 x 4 minutes straight

That was it.
              A day late after Connor broke his tibia yesterday.
              Pretty stressed about the lil guy so i was pleased with how training went considering everything.

Comment

• Bench 12-21-19

Bench
                bar x 25
                95 x 3
                135 x 3
                185 x 3
                225 x 3
                275 x 3
                315 x 1
                340 x 1 Video
                355 x 1 V
                370 x 1 V
                375 x 1 V
                380 x miss V

V bar press downs
                80 x 25
                100 x 4 sets of 25 reps

Pec dec
                100 x 20 and 20

So after Connors broken leg, Benching last Sunday instead of Saturday, training Thursday (which I usually take off), working this morning due to Christmas rush, I guess 10 pounds up isn't too bad.
                Maybe the next few weeks will be even better with a "normal schedule" and Connor on Christmas break... We'll see I guess.

Comment

• New forum update...
                  Hope I can figure out pics/vids...

Last Saturday sucked.
                  I was supposed to do 340 for ten singles but only did 4 and they were moving SLOW.
                  Then to try and make up for a bit of volume I did 225 for 2 sets of 10 Spoto presses. Those felt fine.
                  I also stayed in ketosis all week prior to the bench aside from carbing up on Friday. I am thinking that 1 day does not make up for a whole week. I realize the error in my ways trying to half ass 2 different things at the same time, then neither one is done efficiently. Sometimes I need that wake up call.

Comment

• I missed posting this during the update period....

Comment

• and that one from last week:

Comment

• So after the benching I did:

rope press downs
                        40 x 3 minutes straight

Pec dec
                        40 x 50, 30, 20

Last 2 were just to get the blood into the elbows and chest after the heavy pressing.
                        It all felt very good today.
                        Amazing what carbs/calories can do. Night and day from last week.

Comment

• Solid day.
                          305 x 7 was the goal and I eeked it out but I wasn't thrilled with the volume of just 1 set. So on the fly I decided to set up some dead presses. Glad I did. I certainly did not think I would work up to 375 (almost 385). The sets here felt better as I went on. I honestly don't seem to feel great until I have been pressing for 60-90 minutes. Those first working sets feel rough, then as i go it feels better and better.
                          Either way though, I've been at or around 375 for a few weeks now. Really need to push that up...

Comment

I like it.
                            Slow but sure...

Comment

• Shoulders on Sunday after that 380 session.

Comment

• Out of order but this was the Sunday after the 305 x 7 session:

Comment

Working...
                                X