Announcement

Collapse

Registeration by Email Only

Due to frequent disruptions by a rogue user on the forum, automatic email regisration will be suspended. Users will still be able to auto-register, but will not be able to post or comment until verified by a forum admin.

If there are any questions or concerns, please email [email protected]

Thanks very much for your cooperation

sincerely,
Jen the Admin
See more
See less

Big Boy Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Boy Basics

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new here to the forum but a long time viewer of MD videos and news features.

The new year is just around the corner and I wanted to start a new journal.

To anyone interested, my training is a bit different, I dabble in Overhead Squats, Front Squats, Pistol Squats, Deadlifts, Weighted Pull-ups, Overhead Press, etc etc...

I will post my journal starting from the first day of the new year.

Have a Happy New Year!
    Sign-up for FREE Strength Training Newsletter from Ground Up Strength!!!

Originally posted by Andalite View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am relatively new here to the forum but a long time viewer of MD videos and news features.

The new year is just around the corner and I wanted to start a new journal.

To anyone interested, my training is a bit different, I dabble in Overhead Squats, Front Squats, Pistol Squats, Deadlifts, Weighted Pull-ups, Overhead Press, etc etc...

I will post my journal starting from the first day of the new year.

Have a Happy New Year!
    Welcome to the MD Training Journal section!

I am your Forum Leader here, if you have any questions or concerns, let me know.

I encourage you to check out some of the other journals in this section, there is all kinds of great stuff going on!

You put your first post here at MD to good use.

If you post in this journal daily, you will be able to resource this journal and see where you have inproved, have discussions with others based on what you do, and share ideas and experiences. Posting here is a win-win situation.

Good Luck! Keep it up!
    All Posts are for Entertainment only.

Start a Training Journal Today!

Comment

FitAdina will be happy to see a fellow Texan in here.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will be updating this log with every workout and I usually take one video per workout as well.

My blog for 2009 Training can be found here: Beached Whale Chronicles

As for my videos, all of them can be found here: anuj247 Youtube Channel

For anybody concerned, here are my current "stats":

I weigh 195 lbs @ 5'7
        Pistol Squats: 13 reps per leg
        Back Squats: 365 lbs
        Front Squats: 295 lbs
        Overhead Squats: 185 lbs
        Military Press: 185 lbs
        Deadlifts: 475 lbs
        Bench Press: 225 lbs

I train to be strong all over. I am not a Powerlifter. For each of the above lifts I have videos up on Youtube (I have put the channel link up there).

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will post my workout update sometime in the next 24 hours

Comment

Oh, and the most important exercises for me are:
          Deadlifts
          Pistol Squats
          Pull-ups
          Overhead Press (Standing and Strict)
          Front Squats

Just so y'all know how I structure my training....

Comment

For anybody concerned, here are my current "stats":

I weigh 195 lbs @ 5'7
            Pistol Squats: 13 reps per leg
            Back Squats: 365 lbs
            Front Squats: 295 lbs
            Overhead Squats: 185 lbs
            Military Press: 185 lbs
            Deadlifts: 475 lbs
            Bench Press: 225 lbs
            Damn dude, you and me could train together! We have basically the same build.

Comment

Originally posted by YukonCrazy View Post
              Damn dude, you and me could train together! We have basically the same build.
              I doubt you're a fattie like me

Comment

Welcome Bro nice split I look forward to following along....
                Under Construction

Comment

hello! what does dabble mean?j/K
                  "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

Comment

Hey nice to see a new journal. Look forward to seeing your routine, I'd like to see what the hell pistol squats are

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I figured I should lay out my workouts.

Firstly: Pistol Squats are one legged Squats. Video is out here (there are many videos but this is one of them): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-np34UKAw

Ok so, like I said before, my goals are to get strong. I am not a powerlifter so a lot of my training is done with unorthodox exercises like:
                      Pistol Squats
                      Front Squats
                      Overhead Squats
                      Deadlifts
                      Pull-ups
                      Strict Standing Overhead Press
                      etc
                      etc

I don't do routines - I train. So, I use a template for my training. Every 4 weeks some of the exercises are switched. 4 weeks of training makes one mesocycle. As of today (the 1st of January) I will be starting Mesocycle 17. That means I have been following this sort of template for 17 months now.

Here's the template:

THURSDAY: DEADLIFT TRAINING
                      1. Deadlifts
                      2. Front Squats
                      3. Core Training

FRIDAY: BACK TRAINING
                      1. Heavy Rows - either dumbbell, barbell, chest supported or machine done 3-5 sets of 1-5 reps depending on the exercise
                      2. Pull-ups - all weighted for as many sets and reps as I like. mostly I aim for 25-50 total reps all done with some added weight.
                      3. Medium Rows - either high or low cable rows or unilateral cable rows for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
                      4. Facepulls or Shrugs
                      5. Core Training

SUNDAY: SQUAT TRAINING
                      1. Overhead Squats
                      2. Front Squats
                      3. Back Squats
                      4. Grip Training
                      5. Core Training

MONDAY: PRESS TRAINING
                      1. Pistol Squats
                      2. Press Variant - either military or bench variants within for heavy work
                      3. Pull-ups - light for example; 3x8 or so
                      4. Supplementary Press
                      5. Core Training

This is my training as of now...like I said: it is evaluated every 4 weeks so I will make any necessary changes thereafter.

Also, just incase anyone is interested, I am an international student from Bombay, India studying at Trinity University in Texas. This being the holidays means I am back home. I will return to Trinity in a couple of weeks. I am a Senior majoring in Finance and hunting for a job anywhere on the planet after graduation

Cheers everyone and once again: thanks for the warm welcome

Comment

I doubt you're a fattie like me
                        i would welcome u as a fellow fatty... but at 195 i wouldnt really consider u a fatty

there are many different kinds of journals here so have fun and check them out!

Comment

Originally posted by bherman View Post
                          i would welcome u as a fellow fatty... but at 195 i wouldnt really consider u a fatty

there are many different kinds of journals here so have fun and check them out!
                          I definitely will and thank you very much for the warm welcome

Comment

Deadlift Training
                            Mesocycle 17 - Week 1

Beginning Thoughts:
                            Once again: A very Happy New Year to one and all!!

Workout:
                            Deadlifts:
                            (415 lbs x 1 rep x 5 minisets) x 2 cluster sets
                            435 lbs x 2 reps
                            The goal was to do 2 cluster sets of 5 minisets - each one being a single rep. Last week I had messed up on this but I finally got the hang of it. I thoroughly detest cluster sets. They totally put me off my groove. I did the final set with 435 lbs for sheer giggles.

Front Squats:
                            185 lbs x 3 reps x 3 sets
                            205 lbs x 3 reps
                            I have been struggling with Front Squats for quite a while now. I have zero technique with these. Just 3 weeks ago I hit 295 lbs for the 4th or 5th time over the span of two months and it was through sheer brute strength. Thats a no-no for me. I would like to perfect and hone in my technique. So, I have gone back to the drawing board and the first change I have made is switching my grip from a rather unstable cross grip to a clean/weightlifters/olympic grip. I am sure with this more stable grip and working on my form from the ground up I will be surpass 295 lbs over the next few months.

Hanging Air Kicks:
                            BW x 10 reps x 3 sets

Cable Wood Chops:
                            15 kgs x 12 reps
                            20 kgs x 12 reps
                            20 kgs x 12 reps

Videos:

Overall Impression:
                            This was a better workout than last week. It takes some getting used to these weird octagonal shaped plates...I need to work on my grip more. I am going to be trying a new fun exercise for grip training this coming Monday..

Have a great day today everyone and thank you for reading!

Comment

Originally posted by YukonCrazy View Post
                              FitAdina will be happy to see a fellow Texan in here.
                              You know me well!

And...I am!

Comment

Working...
                              X