Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you mentally prep for a big lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm starting to hit a wall with music too. Sometimes the shit is just distracting
    twitter: @badbadleroyb,

Comment

Music really helps me, I have a couple of go to songs that always get me in the zone
      VP of Marketing for Nutrabio
      instagram @naturalguy2.0

Comment

Originally posted by maxamill29 View Post
        ^^sounds good fella's. i dont think i hesitate, im usually pretty confident that im going to get the lift...but there are those days where i am a little off and start to question my strength/endurance. it doesnt help that im ALWAYS catching people looking at me, especially when im squatting or deadlifting (the racks are right in front of the mirror). one guy actually came and sat down on the bench right next to me just to stare right at me while i was about to do my set. if i could just tune out some of these distractions i think i'd be ok.
        Sorry to hijack but I HATE people like that. Usually I just stare back them until they look away lol Kinda makes me even more angry in a way, but on the other hand distracts me too.

Comment

Originally posted by GermaniaK View Post
          Sorry to hijack but I HATE people like that. Usually I just stare back them until they look away lol Kinda makes me even more angry in a way, but on the other hand distracts me too.
          definitely not hi-jacking brother. that staring shit gets under my skin like crazy. i usually glance back and give em the WTF face. i know people say that the gym atmosphere is what you make it, but i have to disagree to an extent.
          I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

If u can hear music playing when u are going for a big lift then u aren't really in that trance like state. I do use music but only to keep me aggressive and in the zone however, as I prepare to sit down for the attempt I don't hear anything. I have always been able to focus like that and turn it on and off as I have always been a very competitive person and I get angry that the weight wont beat me! Try meditation as that has even helped me focus more.

Comment

I hear what Rodney is saying. I'll listen to music often on the sets leading up to my last one then I'll get rid of the headphones. I find that distracting if I'm going for a single or double.

I don't give a shit about people watching me. That just motivates me more to make sure I get the lift.

Comment

Originally posted by rodney roller View Post
                If u can hear music playing when u are going for a big lift then u aren't really in that trance like state. I do use music but only to keep me aggressive and in the zone however, as I prepare to sit down for the attempt I don't hear anything. I have always been able to focus like that and turn it on and off as I have always been a very competitive person and I get angry that the weight wont beat me! Try meditation as that has even helped me focus more.
                Actually since you mentioned this, it's beyond truth! Funny how a lot of my friends complain about the music 'distracting their training'. I always wonder how they actually hear it while lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by maxamill29 View Post
                  definitely not hi-jacking brother. that staring shit gets under my skin like crazy. i usually glance back and give em the WTF face. i know people say that the gym atmosphere is what you make it, but i have to disagree to an extent.
                  i'm fortunate to have access to 3 different gyms. this really seems to help changing up the atmosphere from time to time. 1 of the gyms is very hardcore and the owner and i are good friends and workout together sometimes and i usually seem to have better workouts there, but its 35 miles away so really don't get to work out there except on weekends. but yes gym atmosphere really makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by rodney roller View Post
                    Try meditation as that has even helped me focus more.
                    Been workin on that this week and so far the results have been better. thanks

Originally posted by Mini Forklift View Post
                    I'll listen to music often on the sets leading up to my last one then I'll get rid of the headphones. I find that distracting if I'm going for a single or double.

I don't give a shit about people watching me. That just motivates me more to make sure I get the lift.
                    i usually put my music on pause, i want to be able to give all my focus/attention to the lift. when i was at Ed Coan's gym, people didnt stare as much but when they did it was for support/encouragement/& helpful critique. my current gym is basically a Planet Fitness that allows you to grunt. everybody looks at me like im crazy or gonna hurt myself once i go past 3 plates...definite buzz-killer

Originally posted by D MATT View Post
                    i'm fortunate to have access to 3 different gyms. this really seems to help changing up the atmosphere from time to time. 1 of the gyms is very hardcore and the owner and i are good friends and workout together sometimes and i usually seem to have better workouts there, but its 35 miles away so really don't get to work out there except on weekends. but yes gym atmosphere really makes a difference.
                    idk what it is, but something about being amongst my own "kind" (people that train hard/smart) always seems to reap better results...at least for me anyway. i can have a "good" workout anywhere, but a gym that encourages hard training will always get me a little more amped.
                    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

listen to some heavy metal music. if u use chalk chalk the shit out of your hands don't think ever of dropping the weight and fucking lift bro!!!
                      Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; February 9th, 2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

This sums it all up nicely.

Comment

music

Comment

Working...
                          X