Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling out ZZMACMAN...

or somethin like that.

you been posting some pretty awesome vids lately and looks like you been making some pretty insane progress. seems like you added about 30 lbs on to each lift over the last few months or so.

thought it might be cool/informative for myself and other P&S forum readers if you talk about your training as of late (if you care to do so)
    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

I like the idea of this thread. Nice work.

Interested to read Z's answers.

Comment

has anyone dropped him a pm letting him know he has some questions to answer.... if he wants to?
      http://www.blacklionresearch.com/

WORLD PHARM =

Comment

Originally posted by USEALITTLE View Post
        has anyone dropped him a pm letting him know he has some questions to answer.... if he wants to?
        I'm on to it.

Comment

Thanks for the callout, I'm honored. Here we go:

BENCH: I've been following Westside philosophies for prep leading up to my meet in April. I bench twice a week with a dynamic day and a max effort day. On my dynamic day I'll do 9 sets of 3 with alternating grips (comp, 2-3 fingers inside comp grip, cgbp). I don't have chains so I usually just use bands. The 1st week of my 4 week cycles I'll start with a weight around 50% of my max and then add bands. I'll go up a little each week in weight while continuing to use the bands. I pause my speed work as I believe that it helps me with my strength off the chest even though it's light weight. I also pound my shoulders with lots of lightweight dumbbell work for high reps. Lots of lateral raises and rear delt work. On my max effort days I will use bands (reverse and or from the floor, Slingshot, and raw). I usually start raw and work up to a single or a rep max with 90-95% of my max. The next week I will use bands (from floor or reverse depending on how I feel), the next week I'll use the slingshot and overload, and the 4th week I'll max out for a new single rep max raw. The 5th week is a deload. I will also do some tricep work on my max effort day along with one variation of a row.

SQUAT: I have recently changed my form. I widened my stance and really started to focus on sitting back and keeping my knees from goin out over my toes. This has been a slow process, but I think I'm pretty much there. Last July I squatted 584 raw/no wraps in competition. I'm hoping to match that or get a 5lb PR at my next meet in April as my new for has taken some time to get used to. Regardless, while prepping for a meet I follow a Cat Periodized Squat program. It's 16 weeks and it starts out really light with lots of sets. The 1st week is 12 sets of 2. All the weeks except for the last 2-3 are down with 2 reps. You try and move the weight as fast as you can. Each week the weight goes up and some weeks the sets stay the same, but for the most part when the weight goes up the volume goes down. During my current prep I started out with box squats to really hammer my form and sitting back. I did this for a few weeks until I was comfortable I could maintain good form with heavier weight and no box.

DEADLIFT: I use the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine. I changed it this time around though. Instead of it being a 10 week program I lengthened it to about 17 weeks and added more deloads and slowed the progression of the weight at the end of the program. Here's what I've done this time around:
          WEEK 1: 490 x 2 then 390 x 3 x 8
          WEEK 2: 520 x 2 then 425 x 3 x 8
          WEEK 3: 555 x 2 then 455 x 3 x 5
          WEEK 4: 585 x 2 then 490 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 5: 520 x 2 then 425 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 6: 555 x 2 then 455 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 7: 585 x 2 then 490 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 8: 620 x 1 then 455 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 9: 535 x 2 then 465 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 10: 565 x 2 then 485 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 11: 600 x 2 then 495 x 2 x 3
          WEEK 12: 635 x 1 then 455 x 2 x 3
          WEEK 13: 545 x 2 then 455 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 14: 585 x 2 then 4" BLOCK PULLS: 635 x 1, 655 x 1, 675 x 1
          WEEK 15: 620 x 1 then 425 x 3 x 3
          WEEK 16: 645 x 1 then 405 x 2 x 3
          WEEK 17: speed sets from the floor with something pretty light.
          WEEK 18: MEET

Weeks 15, 16, and 17 haven't been done yet, but that's what I have planned. Obviously I might end up doing something different if I'm not feeling what the numbers call for.

I have learned from mistakes in the past to really listen to your body. You can't just run a program and plan on doing exactly what it calls for every week. Your body might not be able to do the weight that a program calls for on a given day. Instead you shoot to do the number the program calls for, but you adjust if you're feeling like your body can't do it that day. Failed reps kills confidence and momentum. It never hurts to leave some in the tank. This way you're sure to hit a PR the next time you attempt one and this is great for confidence and momentum.

Comment

Great post mate, thanks for taking the time to share that with all of us. Appreciated !!

Comment

Originally posted by zzmacman View Post
              Thanks for the callout, I'm honored. Here we go:

BENCH: I've been following Westside philosophies for prep leading up to my meet in April. I bench twice a week with a dynamic day and a max effort day. On my dynamic day I'll do 9 sets of 3 with alternating grips (comp, 2-3 fingers inside comp grip, cgbp). I don't have chains so I usually just use bands. The 1st week of my 4 week cycles I'll start with a weight around 50% of my max and then add bands. I'll go up a little each week in weight while continuing to use the bands. I pause my speed work as I believe that it helps me with my strength off the chest even though it's light weight. I also pound my shoulders with lots of lightweight dumbbell work for high reps. Lots of lateral raises and rear delt work. On my max effort days I will use bands (reverse and or from the floor, Slingshot, and raw). I usually start raw and work up to a single or a rep max with 90-95% of my max. The next week I will use bands (from floor or reverse depending on how I feel), the next week I'll use the slingshot and overload, and the 4th week I'll max out for a new single rep max raw. The 5th week is a deload. I will also do some tricep work on my max effort day along with one variation of a row.

SQUAT: I have recently changed my form. I widened my stance and really started to focus on sitting back and keeping my knees from goin out over my toes. This has been a slow process, but I think I'm pretty much there. Last July I squatted 584 raw/no wraps in competition. I'm hoping to match that or get a 5lb PR at my next meet in April as my new for has taken some time to get used to. Regardless, while prepping for a meet I follow a Cat Periodized Squat program. It's 16 weeks and it starts out really light with lots of sets. The 1st week is 12 sets of 2. All the weeks except for the last 2-3 are down with 2 reps. You try and move the weight as fast as you can. Each week the weight goes up and some weeks the sets stay the same, but for the most part when the weight goes up the volume goes down. During my current prep I started out with box squats to really hammer my form and sitting back. I did this for a few weeks until I was comfortable I could maintain good form with heavier weight and no box.

DEADLIFT: I use the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine. I changed it this time around though. Instead of it being a 10 week program I lengthened it to about 17 weeks and added more deloads and slowed the progression of the weight at the end of the program. Here's what I've done this time around:
              WEEK 1: 490 x 2 then 390 x 3 x 8
              WEEK 2: 520 x 2 then 425 x 3 x 8
              WEEK 3: 555 x 2 then 455 x 3 x 5
              WEEK 4: 585 x 2 then 490 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 5: 520 x 2 then 425 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 6: 555 x 2 then 455 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 7: 585 x 2 then 490 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 8: 620 x 1 then 455 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 9: 535 x 2 then 465 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 10: 565 x 2 then 485 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 11: 600 x 2 then 495 x 2 x 3
              WEEK 12: 635 x 1 then 455 x 2 x 3
              WEEK 13: 545 x 2 then 455 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 14: 585 x 2 then 4" BLOCK PULLS: 635 x 1, 655 x 1, 675 x 1
              WEEK 15: 620 x 1 then 425 x 3 x 3
              WEEK 16: 645 x 1 then 405 x 2 x 3
              WEEK 17: speed sets from the floor with something pretty light.
              WEEK 18: MEET

Weeks 15, 16, and 17 haven't been done yet, but that's what I have planned. Obviously I might end up doing something different if I'm not feeling what the numbers call for.

I have learned from mistakes in the past to really listen to your body. You can't just run a program and plan on doing exactly what it calls for every week. Your body might not be able to do the weight that a program calls for on a given day. Instead you shoot to do the number the program calls for, but you adjust if you're feeling like your body can't do it that day. Failed reps kills confidence and momentum. It never hurts to leave some in the tank. This way you're sure to hit a PR the next time you attempt one and this is great for confidence and momentum.
              so on your bench DE days, you do 4 week cycles...1st week raw and bands for the next 3 weeks? if correct, do you do this year round?

do you do any overhead pressing, if so what rep range?

what's your tricep work look like?

preciate the info
              I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

Originally posted by maxamill29 View Post
                so on your bench DE days, you do 4 week cycles...1st week raw and bands for the next 3 weeks? if correct, do you do this year round?

do you do any overhead pressing, if so what rep range?

what's your tricep work look like?

preciate the info
                All of my dynamic days are done with bands. Sometimes I'll go raw with a slightly higher %. I'm not sure if I'll do this year round as I've only been training like this for the past 3-3.5 months or so. I'll probably continue it though.

I will do some very light overhead pressing every now and again, but otherwise it's not something I do regularly. If I do it, I'll do 135 for 2 sets of 12-15 reps x 2 sets. My tricep work consists of bodyweight dips, cgbp, dumbbell overhead extenstions, or cable pushdowns. I don't do more than one tri movement on my max effort bench days. I bench twice a week and that ends up providing my triceps with plenty of work. Most of my tricep work is light with lots of reps, but when I do cgbp, it's usually heavy.

Comment

^what do you do for your joints? typical supps or something unorthodox? your elbows must be in great shape to be able to handle that much weight every week...especially with no wraps.

what type of bench program were you doing before this one?

whats your assistance work on squat/deadlift days?

Comment

Originally posted by maxamill29 View Post
                    ^what do you do for your joints? typical supps or something unorthodox? your elbows must be in great shape to be able to handle that much weight every week...especially with no wraps.

what type of bench program were you doing before this one?

whats your assistance work on squat/deadlift days?
                    I take cissus. It's by far the best things I've ever taken for joints. I do deload every 4 weeks and that helps keep the joints healthy too.

I did get some good results on the Ed Coan bench program, but it progresses really fast at the end and Westside methods have actually produced greater results.

As far as assistance work for squats and deadlifts go, good mornings and glute ham raises are great exercises. On squat days I usually try and get some glute ham raises in and sometimes I'll do good mornings instead. On deadlift days I ALWAYS do pullups. They're highly underrated, but HELLUVA a lot better than lat pulls. I will also do some time of rowing movement. Either chest supported DB rows lying face down on an incline bench or bb rows along with my pullups. Deadlifts, rows, and pullups are all you need for a big back.

Comment

^ever tried these? i like em but i train at a fitness gym and i get the strangest looks...so i dont do em often.

is cissus taken by itself or is it stacked with something like glucosamin/msm etc? can anyone recommend a decent brand that wont require more than twice per day?

Comment

I use USP Labs Super Cissus. Primaforce makes it too. USP Labs has more per capsule, but I never noticed a difference. If you search around you can get it for less than $30 a bottle shipped to your door.

Comment

zzmacman - I'm doing westside for my bench as well. (meet this Saturday the 24th). You should start a journal in that section. It would be cool to follow your progress.
                          I just got my rack set up for reverse band press and it is certainly one of my favorite ME moves along with floor presses.

Comment

Originally posted by zzmacman View Post
                            I use USP Labs Super Cissus. Primaforce makes it too. USP Labs has more per capsule, but I never noticed a difference. If you search around you can get it for less than $30 a bottle shipped to your door.
                            cool man...thanks for playing

Originally posted by tjoe View Post
                            I just got my rack set up for reverse band press and it is certainly one of my favorite ME moves along with floor presses.
                            same here...

also

LOVE MY SLINGSHOT!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X