Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q&A with Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ;Yesterday, 04:18 PM3095108
    hi jim, i see that you often add some greens into your protein shake cos i noticed this on your training diary. which ones do you like and what are the best ones do you think. thanks
    Chlorella, Spirulina and Barley Grass would probably be my top 3.

    Chlorella is great at detoxing the blood. The detoxification capabilities of this 'powder that can turn your poo green' is due to its' incredibly high content of chlorophyll and its 'cracked' cell walls; they have the ability to grab onto unwanted materials, pollutants and some heavy metal residues in the bowel and intestines and help to flush them from the body. It's abundant in RNA & DNA nucleic acids, so I could also see how it could potentially repair DNA that has been damaged. Full of natural ionic minerals and the many enzymes present such as cytochrome oxidase, lipase, protease and amylase it can help support good healthy digestive function and intestinal flora.

    Alkaline balance in the body is extremely important to our health; the ideal balance of food and food residue in the body is 80% alkaline and 20% acidic. This is largely determined by the food we eat, as foods are either acid forming or alkaline forming. We are constantly in a changing state between acid and alkaline and is continually working to maintain an ideal pH level of between 7.3 and 7.4. Babies are born in a very alkaline state and as we age most people tend to gradually become more and more acidic (largely a result of dietary choices). Having said that, the body is able to regain its natural alkaline balance by eating highly alkaline foods such as green leafy vegetables, fresh seasonal fruits, pulses and nutrient-rich super foods like barley/wheat grass, spirulina etc etc. The key is simply changing the balance of the foods you eat, the overall amount of food consumed and getting to know which foods are acid forming and which are alkaline forming.


    Spirulina has one of the richest concentration of nutrients of any plant, herb or grain. It's also a complete protein, containing all essential amino acids. The protein in spirulina is superior to all standard plant proteins. Blue green algae was one of the first organisms on the planet and it's fatty acid content closely mirrors the human brain. Some other points to note:

    ** Spirulina contains high levels of carotenes (including beta carotene) and xanthophylls (including zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin). Carotenoids play an important role in humans by acting as biological antioxidants, protecting cells and tissues from the effects of free radicals
    ** Contains a plant protein called phycocyanin. This powerful blue protein pigmentfound only in spirulina forms soluble complexes with iron and other minerals to increase their bioavailability in the body. Phycocyanin is about 15% of the entire weight of spirulina and is thought to have developed around a billion years before chlorophyll. Phycocyanin has antioxidant activity and is a valuable immune supporting pigment
    ** It's an excellent source of iron and the reason why the iron in spirulina is so bioavailable is because the iron forms soluble complexes with Phycocyanin. This iron-phycocyanin complex allows easier absorption by the body. Iron and Vitamin B12 levels are dependant on one another, so if the diet is good then they this isn't something that you need to be overly concerned about
    ** Rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an important Omega 6 fatty acid commonly found in flaxseed and Evening Primrose oil

    Also has use for athletes and BB'ers due to spirulina's relationship with glycogen; the body’s principal source of both immediate and long term energy is glycogen which is stored in the muscles and liver and not ordinarily available directly through our diet. Glycogen forms an energy reserve that can be quickly mobilized to meet a sudden need for glucose (a fasted athlete training in the morning has enough glycogen supplies to fuel a 3hr workout). Spirulina is the only plant source of glycogen available (that I am aware of), and basically the more glycogen that's available during intense/sustained exercise then you should be optimising muscular functioning. You can use spirulina before training to concentrate the nutrients in the blood, making them available to the muscles when and where they are needed most.

    Daily RDI of iron for men is not much at all, varies from country to country but it usually falls somewhere between 3-10g.

    Easiest way to buy it is probably as a powder so you can just throw a teaspoon into your protein shake, mixes fine. Assuming that most of the big well known health stores in the States would sell it ~ and buy organic if you can. Usually that means it hasn't been fed Chilean nitrate (which is a natural fertiliser), not a big deal at all but I tend to think that organic products in general are a higher quality and often a slightly higher purity (see photo below) !!

    551737_451527928191655_188162569_n.jpg

    Barley Grass is something that can be used as an 'everyday' addition to your diet, and IMO more so than Chlorella which tends to be a little more specific in terms of how and when you should use it. I tend to like to use a combo of wheat & barley grass and just mix a teaspoon into my protein shake every day. Tastes surprisingly good so let me know what you think. Cheers MF.
    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; June 14th, 2012, 06:33 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
      I personally think that on a spiritual level your statement holds true.

      From a scientific perspective it's my understanding that frequent, regular ejaculations are beneficial for testosterone production. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't think there are that many studies that have been done on what happens to testosterone levels after sexual activity? However it is widely accepted that sexual stimulus triggers a rise in serum testosterone in both men and women. Abstaining from sexual activity apparently has little effect on testosterone levels, although I would take a guess that long term abstinence would cause a decrease in total testosterone.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

      Comment


      • Cheers for that link.

        Comment


        • Comment


          • Jim, I just read through the last few pages; great write ups. I will be trying your chia-blend soon.
            I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

            Training Log

            Comment


            • Jimbo, I finally got around to going to my local vegan farmers market early in the morning so I got the best picks.

              For $110 I got:
              Strawberries, Rasberries, Mangos, Lemons, Sweet potatoes, reg potatoes, goji berries, anasazi beans, avocados, 1 pound flaxseeds, 4oz wheat grass, 2 pounds Spirulina, tumeric powder, broccoli, carrots, mint tea, a big pineapple, peppers, bananas, 12oz honey unfiltered/raw, and some other random stuff I'm probably forgetting and it will last me at least a week, some stuff more.



              This organic/natural thing isn't so hard and in the end, I ended up saving money bc there is no middle man. The guys at the "checkout" had calculators and gave deals on some of the stuff and worked for the local farm. I'm amazed at how good this food looks and I've already tried some of it and it's fucking amazing.

              Question: I mixed the spirulina powder with water in my shaker and it went down fine but do you take yours at a certain time of the day or mix it with anything in particular?
              Any ideas on what to put this tumeric powder on?

              Comment


              • Fight the good veggie fight against the evil sugar....

                Comment




                • Whoa man, look at that haul !!!! Glad you liked it, looks like they have some great stuff there! How much did you pay for the turmeric as typically that's usually pretty expensive? If you're taking spirulina separately to your protein shake I'd probably take it morning/lunch time so you get the energy benefits from it. Otherwise you can just throw a teaspoon straight into your protein shake, same for the turmeric. I run turmeric the same way as I would run an anti-inflammatory. The studies at ergo-log (see link below) regarding it being anti catabolic, possibly anabolic, and it's effects on ampk/glut4 activity seem promising.

                  http://www.ergo-log.com/turmericarchives.html

                  Bolsen ~ what did you think of the chia smoothie?

                  Canuckle ~ I'll address the Paleo clip and the 'diet' tomorrow, it was my daughters 6th Birthday yesterday so it's a busy weekend here. Thanks for posting it up JIM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post


                    Whoa man, look at that haul !!!! Glad you liked it, looks like they have some great stuff there! How much did you pay for the turmeric as typically that's usually pretty expensive? If you're taking spirulina separately to your protein shake I'd probably take it morning/lunch time so you get the energy benefits from it. Otherwise you can just throw a teaspoon straight into your protein shake, same for the turmeric. I run turmeric the same way as I would run an anti-inflammatory. The studies at ergo-log (see link below) regarding it being anti catabolic, possibly anabolic, and it's effects on ampk/glut4 activity seem promising.

                    http://www.ergo-log.com/turmericarchives.html

                    Bolsen ~ what did you think of the chia smoothie?

                    Canuckle ~ I'll address the Paleo clip and the 'diet' tomorrow, it was my daughters 6th Birthday yesterday so it's a busy weekend here. Thanks for posting it up JIM.
                    Happy birthday to her! That's cool, my daughter turned six in March. It's a great age, young enough to still be super excited about little kid stuff, but old enough to actually talk to and reason with a bit. I like Clint Darden's stuff, he has some good vids.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Kontour View Post
                      Jimbo, I finally got around to going to my local vegan farmers market early in the morning so I got the best picks.

                      For $110 I got:
                      Strawberries, Rasberries, Mangos, Lemons, Sweet potatoes, reg potatoes, goji berries, anasazi beans, avocados, 1 pound flaxseeds, 4oz wheat grass, 2 pounds Spirulina, tumeric powder, broccoli, carrots, mint tea, a big pineapple, peppers, bananas, 12oz honey unfiltered/raw, and some other random stuff I'm probably forgetting and it will last me at least a week, some stuff more.

                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]281369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]281370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]281371[/ATTACH]

                      This organic/natural thing isn't so hard and in the end, I ended up saving money bc there is no middle man. The guys at the "checkout" had calculators and gave deals on some of the stuff and worked for the local farm. I'm amazed at how good this food looks and I've already tried some of it and it's fucking amazing.

                      Question: I mixed the spirulina powder with water in my shaker and it went down fine but do you take yours at a certain time of the day or mix it with anything in particular?
                      Any ideas on what to put this tumeric powder on?
                      I do like to buy organic stuff, but sometimes the cost is prohibitive... all that stuff you got would cost me $30 max at my local non-organic veggie store... H&W Produce FTW. I think only other Edmontonians would know what I'm talking about though. H&W stores sell veg for cheap, huge selection, you just have to fight your way through the crowds of south asians and east indians, lol. Popular because they have a large variety of 'ethnic' veg as well.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post


                        Whoa man, look at that haul !!!! Glad you liked it, looks like they have some great stuff there! How much did you pay for the turmeric as typically that's usually pretty expensive? If you're taking spirulina separately to your protein shake I'd probably take it morning/lunch time so you get the energy benefits from it. Otherwise you can just throw a teaspoon straight into your protein shake, same for the turmeric. I run turmeric the same way as I would run an anti-inflammatory. The studies at ergo-log (see link below) regarding it being anti catabolic, possibly anabolic, and it's effects on ampk/glut4 activity seem promising.

                        http://www.ergo-log.com/turmericarchives.html

                        Bolsen ~ what did you think of the chia smoothie?

                        Canuckle ~ I'll address the Paleo clip and the 'diet' tomorrow, it was my daughters 6th Birthday yesterday so it's a busy weekend here. Thanks for posting it up JIM.
                        4oz Turmeric organic=$3.50

                        And thanks for the other info man. You rock MF!
                        Last edited by Kontour; June 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Canucklehead View Post
                          I do like to buy organic stuff, but sometimes the cost is prohibitive... all that stuff you got would cost me $30 max at my local non-organic veggie store... H&W Produce FTW. I think only other Edmontonians would know what I'm talking about though. H&W stores sell veg for cheap, huge selection, you just have to fight your way through the crowds of south asians and east indians, lol. Popular because they have a large variety of 'ethnic' veg as well.
                          2 pounds of Spirulina anywhere costs more than $30 man. So that can't be true. Trust me, what I got is not as expensive as you think.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kontour View Post
                            2 pounds of Spirulina anywhere costs more than $30 man. So that can't be true. Trust me, what I got is not as expensive as you think.
                            Spirulina- about $10-15/pound or so at the bulk store... no I didn't notice that you got that much. I do know that some places charge ridiculous amounts for it, like $50/lb. But hey, I guess if people are willing to pay it, why not sell it for as much as you can get. Supply and demand and all that shiz.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Canucklehead View Post
                              Spirulina- about $10-15/pound or so at the bulk store... no I didn't notice that you got that much. I do know that some places charge ridiculous amounts for it, like $50/lb. But hey, I guess if people are willing to pay it, why not sell it for as much as you can get. Supply and demand and all that shiz.
                              Yeah. No doubt I spent more than at costco or something. But I'm supporting local farmers and getting great quality and it's not that bad man. I also got some dried Goji Berries and Jack fruit and guineps which they don't have at any stores around there that I have found. In the end, you are right, we all gotta watch our budget and pick and choose when to buy the higher quality food. Organic chicken and meat is outrageous.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kontour View Post
                                Yeah. No doubt I spent more than at costco or something. But I'm supporting local farmers and getting great quality and it's not that bad man. I also got some dried Goji Berries and Jack fruit and guineps which they don't have at any stores around there that I have found. In the end, you are right, we all gotta watch our budget and pick and choose when to buy the higher quality food. Organic chicken and meat is outrageous.
                                Organic and free range meat here is pretty decently priced, but only if you buy like half a pig or cow at a time. Things like bison and wild meat (deer, moose, fish also) are easier to get/cheaper here than in US cities.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X