• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by juxtaposedhearts0 View Post
    I'm so sorry.
    I forgive you.. but only this once.
    Originally posted by modredtrenton
    someone said 20 pounds of REAL muscle is all you can gain as a natty in you whole life

Comment

• Shake recipes (cont)

#4: Energy

Protein powder, water, milk or liquid of choice, 1 x tsp spirulina powder, 1/2 tsp chia seeds, B Vitamins & 1 x banana

OVERVIEW: Spirulina has one of the richest concentration of nutrients of any plant, herb or grain. It's also a complete protein, containing all essential amino acids. The protein in spirulina is superior to all standard plant proteins. Blue green algae was one of the first organisms on the planet and it's fatty acid content closely mirrors the human brain. Some other points to note:

** Spirulina contains high levels of carotenes (including beta carotene) and xanthophylls (including zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin). Carotenoids play an important role in humans by acting as biological antioxidants, protecting cells and tissues from the effects of free radicals
      ** Contains a plant protein called phycocyanin. This powerful blue protein pigmentfound only in spirulina forms soluble complexes with iron and other minerals to increase their bioavailability in the body. Phycocyanin is about 15% of the entire weight of spirulina and is thought to have developed around a billion years before chlorophyll. Phycocyanin has antioxidant activity and is a valuable immune supporting pigment
      ** It's an excellent source of iron and the reason why the iron in spirulina is so bioavailable is because the iron forms soluble complexes with Phycocyanin. This iron-phycocyanin complex allows easier absorption by the body. Iron and Vitamin B12 levels are dependant on one another, so if the diet is good then they this isn't something that you need to be overly concerned about
      ** Rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an important Omega 6 fatty acid commonly found in flaxseed and Evening Primrose oil

Also has use for athletes and BB'ers due to spirulina's relationship with glycogen; the body’s principal source of both immediate and long term energy is glycogen which is stored in the muscles and liver and not ordinarily available directly through our diet. Glycogen forms an energy reserve that can be quickly mobilized to meet a sudden need for glucose (a fasted athlete training in the morning has enough glycogen supplies to fuel a 3hr workout). Spirulina is the only plant source of glycogen available (that I am aware of), and basically the more glycogen that's available during intense/sustained exercise then you should be optimising muscular functioning. You can use spirulina before training to concentrate the nutrients in the blood, making them available to the muscles when and where they are needed most. Daily RDI of iron for men is not much at all, varies from country to country but it usually falls somewhere between 3-10g. Easiest way to buy it is probably as a powder so you can just throw a teaspoon into your protein shake, mixes fine. Assuming that most of the big well known health stores in the States would sell it ~ and buy organic if you can. Usually that means it hasn't been fed Chilean nitrate (which is a natural fertiliser), not a big deal at all but I tend to think that organic products in general are a higher quality and often a slightly higher purity

Chia seeds ~ see the information I have given about them in the 'endurance' shake'.

B Vitamins have many roles in the body, some of which are energy production, osteoporosis, PMS, nourishment for the CNS & adrenals and they also help with the formation of red blood cells (RBC's). B Vitamins include all of the known essential water-soluble vitamins (apart from Vitamin C) and taking a combination of ALL of them together can help to ensure micronutrient deficiences as well as reducing the risk of decreasing certain B Vitamins, which can sometimes happen when you take them as singular nutrients/vitamins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
        Not familiar with the product but from having a look it seems to be a combination of digestive enzymes? Makes perfect sense to me and actually a good thing for a BB'er to be taking seeing how they often tend to eat large meals at regular intervals. Products such as the one you mentioned would have a host of benefits including things like reducing inflammation, bloating and flatulence (common among the BB'ers I have worked with haha), indigestion, food allergies and/or intolerance and pancreatic insufficiency (the inability for the pancreas to secrete enough enzymes into the duodenum).

Wobenzym would help to allow the breakdown of food in the digestive tract as there are specific enzymes required to break to the food down into their component parts (carbohydrates/proteins/fats) for absorption and utilisation by the body. If your digestive system is working optimally then everything else should be improved as well, possibly why you might have been sleeping better whilst you were taking it.

Just my 2c, cheers Evan.

I can believe that about the enzymes cleaning up the blood. I really don't have an answer for your question regarding decreasing inflammation to the point of interfering with muscle growth.

My logic would suggest that it could be a possibility, as I'm thinking that major reductions in inflammation would have an impact on the white blood cells (they release phagocytes which consume the damaged cells ~ less inflammation would cause the phagocytosis to be reduced). As your WBC helps to run things like immunity/activation of T cells and helps control vasodilation of blood vessels (due to release of histamine) there may be a chance that the mechanisms and/or process of muscle growth could be affected.

I just watched a good documentary about aging and it had a great section on eating an anti-inflammatory diet i.e. turmeric and ginger root I think...amongst a few others.
        Do you think that adding 10-20 grams of turmeric a day and some other natural foods that reduce inflammation could cause inflammation to drastically reduce and affect muscle growth/repair? I can't imagine it would but I can't find any info online about low levels of inflammation and muscles at all. I would think that reducing inflammation would almost never be a bad thing...I was thinking this "inflammation reducing diet" wouldn't really interfere with the acute inflammation of muscle tissue after training. I figured it would be more of a general/regulatory mechanism that essentially helps the body deal with stresses better in general. Any further thoughts or research on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontour View Post
          I just watched a good documentary about aging and it had a great section on eating an anti-inflammatory diet i.e. turmeric and ginger root I think...amongst a few others.
          Do you think that adding 10-20 grams of turmeric a day and some other natural foods that reduce inflammation could cause inflammation to drastically reduce and affect muscle growth/repair? I can't imagine it would but I can't find any info online about low levels of inflammation and muscles at all. I would think that reducing inflammation would almost never be a bad thing...I was thinking this "inflammation reducing diet" wouldn't really interfere with the acute inflammation of muscle tissue after training. I figured it would be more of a general/regulatory mechanism that essentially helps the body deal with stresses better in general. Any further thoughts or research on this?
          Firstly - I think you are operating along the right lines. I got pretty much the same question from Evan C a few weeks ago, was actually quoted in your post above haha. Turmeric is fantastic although I actually only consume 800-1,200mg a day. The concentration is very important, what I mean is that a quality supplement will probably be stronger than consuming just turmeric bought as a food. As an example, the breakdown of the turmeric I use:

Standardised turmeric root extract: 400mg (of which is 372mg/93% curcuminoids)

Hard to know how much 'food grade' turmeric you would need to consume to get that amount. Does that make sense?
          Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; June 27th, 2012, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontour View Post
            Was resveratrol one of them?..

Comment

• Originally posted by Today, 05:01 AM View Post
              Jim, do you think there are specific foods that are beneficial for gaining strength?
              Damn, thanks for that buddy. That really is a good question.

In this instance I'd like to leave this open for anybody to chime in with their own thoughts before I add mine

Comment

• hey Jim, do you have a YT channel with guitar covers? I'd like to see how you play the guitar..

Comment

• My YouTube channel is in my signature mate, there's a couple of short clips on there.

Will try and get my amp pugged up sometime and get the one of the Strat's screaming !!

Comment

• Comment

• ^^^^ nice!!!

Comment

• I simply feel compelled to post this video, that girl is Emily Miazga who is the creator of PowerCookie and 3 x winner of NZ's 243km Coast To Coast adventure race. I know her well, she's a top girl and she shares exactly the same thoughts and views as I do with regards to diet (you'll probably notice that if you watch the video).

Fairly easy on the eyes too
                        Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; July 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Just got hold of one of the strongest Spirulina products around:

It's a real nutritional powerhouse.

Comment

• This is pretty mind blowing

Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; August 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by July 20th, 2012, 06:48 AM View Post
                              Do you believe you can completely get rid of the risk of a heart attack or stroke by overhauling someone's diet?
                              I think a lot can be done to improve the overall health of the individual, and definately improve their chances of not having one, but honestly? No, not 100% anyway.

Diet, exercise, and a healthy weight are not the only markers for a healthy heart. Anyone ~ Even the most healthy and successful athletes, due to genetic factors may be at risk for transient ischemic attack, stroke, or myocardial infarction. Genetic predispositions are still factors that can lead to atherosclerosis (even if the person appears healthy), and even if they low LDL levels. Doctors have been using an enzyme called Lp-Pla2 (lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2) to measure the risk of someone suffering a heart attack, as Lp-Pla2 has been linked to unstable and rupture-prone plaque in the arteries.

Diet can no doubt help, certain supplements can be of even further benefit but if you're going to go out that way then often there's very little control you have over that.

Comment

• Some good info in there

Comment

Working...
                                X