X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by PM Question View Post
      Any suggestions for a light exercise for the back of the shoulder? I'm thinking the crackling back there when I roll my shoulders is more than just my body being weird..lol. Good luck for your meet as well!
      I've had clients with the same issue and I found that regularly incorporating reverse pec deck flyes and rotator cuff work with dumbbells made a noticeable difference. Thanks

Comment

• I've got a few questions from PM I'm working through answering and will post up here soon.

Until then, any questions please feel free to fire away. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving

Comment

• Originally posted by Srokus View Post
          Jim, thoughts on Beta Alanine and HMB?
          My apologies Tom, I must have missed this one. Will answer it shortly, thanks JIM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PM November 20th, 2012, 6.16 PM View Post
            What was the first book that you read that made you interested in nutrition?
            Even today I still highly recommend this book, it basically set the ball in motion for me to start heavily researching and drawing my own conclusions regarding nutritional applications for optimal health.

"Setting out to examine how food played a determining role in the way in which creatures developed, this book goes on to explore how nutrition is now shaping the future of life on earth. It points to the links between poor nutrition and modern degenerative diseases and aims to show how European ignorance of African ecology led to the destruction of natural ecosystems and the introduction of inappropriate European farming methods to colonial Africa, and in turn to the famines of the 20th century. The book also deals with the effect of farming methods on the physiology of man's food animals."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Driving-Fo.../dp/0749306688

I have shelves full of books but this is definately one of them that had the most profound effect on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by v117 View Post
              Hello MF!

What do you think about these supplementation for a person who eats much more protein than fats/carbs due to body-type being endomorph and not wanting to really gain weight.

- Digestive Enzymes
              - Bromelain (Pineapple is the whole food source here I believe)
              - Probiotics
              - Glutamine
              - Fiber (From whole foods obviously but I hear Flax-Seed helps push bowels, Psyllium Husk also is a major one)

For someone who eats lots of protein in their diet do they need those supplements to help you with the digestion and what not?

I read a long time ago that Jay Cutler takes upto 50-60g of Glutamine daily for anti-catabolicism which i doubt plays a role.. However what is the benefit with a high dosage of Glutamine? and what form is the best? peptide? l-glutamine, etc. I remembered researching that it's best to take Glutamine with a Carbohydrate meal also with *Cinnamon, and some other Nutrition Partitioners/GDA's to shuttle the carbs right.

Thank you genius

I wanted to add to your glutamine question. It has been proven on many recent lab studies that glutamine is a pretty pointless supplement for protein synthesis as it was once thought to be. It seems to be a waste of money altogether for the most part as it does not appear to help recovery or tissue repair either as it was once believed to do so.
              B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Comment

• Frank, just out of interest do you have any links to the studies you refer to?

I'm open minded about Glutamine. I throw 5g into my Post-WO protein shake along with 5g creatine, but hard to know whether any of them are really working TBH. The only supplement I know is definately having some effect is Beta Alanine, and I've read on numerous occasions that BA and creatine is a pretty good combination to use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
                  Frank, just out of interest do you have any links to the studies you refer to?

I'm open minded about Glutamine. I throw 5g into my Post-WO protein shake along with 5g creatine, but hard to know whether any of them are really working TBH. The only supplement I know is definately having some effect is Beta Alanine, and I've read on numerous occasions that BA and creatine is a pretty good combination to use.
                  I am at work right now but yes I can find some clinical studies I do believe I have some saved. I think the one way to realize if creatine is effective is if you get the initial weight gain. I know some people do not accept it and put on the weight it adds while taking it, most see a 5-8lb gain from what I read and from personal experience. Beta Alanine is amazing, I love using it personally. I always noticed its effectiveness when I start dosing it during contest prep when strength and fatique set a lot sooner.

I take an amino acid where glut is already added but I would never put my money on it. The Luecine is enough effect for recovery and proven to do so on all occasions. It's been pretty big news about glutamine as well, so I am surprised you have not come across any articles about that.
                  B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Comment

• Thanks Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by frankdaddy View Post
                      I am at work right now but yes I can find some clinical studies I do believe I have some saved.
                      BUMP

Comment

• hello my man..have you got any experience with bodybuilders with non alchocholic fatty liver? i dont know how high i can go on fats on a bodybuilding mass diet..im 200 pounds now about v10% bodyfat trying to gain as much fat free mass as possible..i have a clean bill of health according to my recent bllodwork expect the fattty liver condition that i have to watch closelly..

Comment

• Originally posted by bill2 View Post
                          hello my man..have you got any experience with bodybuilders with non alchocholic fatty liver? i dont know how high i can go on fats on a bodybuilding mass diet..im 200 pounds now about v10% bodyfat trying to gain as much fat free mass as possible..i have a clean bill of health according to my recent bllodwork expect the fattty liver condition that i have to watch closelly..
                          Hi Bill,
                          Do you know what your ALT/AST values were at? I would look to start taking some herbs which are going to benefit the liver and have a cleansing/cleaning effect on both the liver and your blood. Silymarin/Silybum Marianum (aka Milk Thistle) is the most well known one and a good place to start; it helps by preventing the uptake of toxins into the liver cells as well as aiding with the regeneration of new liver cells, which is exactly what you want to be happening. Look for one that is a good strength, either 12-15g OR up to 1g if it's as a raw powder that provides a high total content of flavanoids (80% is probably the minimum you would want).

If the product is a complex (contains more than one ingredient) then other good ones would be:

Dandelion: Contains sesquiterpene lactones plus other phytochemicals that stimulate bile flow, digestion and gall bladder function
                          Schizandra and/or burdock: Both of these contain lignans with antioxidant properties that can reduce damage to the liver
                          Taurine: This amino forms part of the bile salts produced in the liver that help with digestion of fats. Can form complexes with toxic compounds which can help reduce tissue damage
                          Vitamin C: Often overlooked as an antioxidant for healthy liver function

Hope some of that helps, thanks MF.

Comment

Hi Bill,
                            Do you know what your ALT/AST values were at? I would look to start taking some herbs which are going to benefit the liver and have a cleansing/cleaning effect on both the liver and your blood. Silymarin/Silybum Marianum (aka Milk Thistle) is the most well known one and a good place to start; it helps by preventing the uptake of toxins into the liver cells as well as aiding with the regeneration of new liver cells, which is exactly what you want to be happening. Look for one that is a good strength, either 12-15g OR up to 1g if it's as a raw powder that provides a high total content of flavanoids (80% is probably the minimum you would want).

If the product is a complex (contains more than one ingredient) then other good ones would be:

Dandelion: Contains sesquiterpene lactones plus other phytochemicals that stimulate bile flow, digestion and gall bladder function
                            Schizandra and/or burdock: Both of these contain lignans with antioxidant properties that can reduce damage to the liver
                            Taurine: This amino forms part of the bile salts produced in the liver that help with digestion of fats. Can form complexes with toxic compounds which can help reduce tissue damage
                            Vitamin C: Often overlooked as an antioxidant for healthy liver function

Hope some of that helps, thanks MF.
                            thanks.. my liver values were at 100 + range..i investigate it further with a sonograph and the doc saw that the fatt accumulation...since than i load up on the sups you mention and i was able to reduce it allmost at zero....i dont know how much high i can go on fats on my bodyduilding diet..trying to gain mass now and the maxx i consume daily is 100 gr. healthy fats of cource..have you got any info on that..how high i can go safely..?

Comment

• Congrats on getting your liver values back down Bill, nice to hear that. Which product(s) did you use to achieve that?

Like you said, you just need to put the emphasis on getting your fats from healthy sources. Eat processed foods as minimally as possible, keep your water, fruit and vegetable intake high and take a good Omega 3 oil if you aren't already. Fats from food... well I'd be looking at things like raw nuts and seeds, fish, black olives, avocados etc. Coconut oil is also a good choice despite it's high saturated fat content; it is very easily utilised by the body and excellent for heart health.

Comment

Congrats on getting your liver values back down Bill, nice to hear that. Which product(s) did you use to achieve that?

Like you said, you just need to put the emphasis on getting your fats from healthy sources. Eat processed foods as minimally as possible, keep your water, fruit and vegetable intake high and take a good Omega 3 oil if you aren't already. Fats from food... well I'd be looking at things like raw nuts and seeds, fish, black olives, avocados etc. Coconut oil is also a good choice despite it's high saturated fat content; it is very easily utilised by the body and excellent for heart health.
                                i took sylimarin from NOW foods and a product for liver regeneration with various ingredients for liver health from the same company..i dont remember the name now...choline"+inositol, liv-52, 30-45 gr fish oil daily.cyctone, l-carnitine ,vit e vit d , prety much that for a year now plus every day cardio and 5 wheight training sessions..my last sonograph past octomber revealed almost zero fatty accumulation..trying to keep that way..
                                i wrote my diet a few posts back..im still trying to figure how high i can co safely on healthy fats of cource..can you give me a number? 100? 150?200?

Comment

Working...
                                X