Alternating/mixed grip for deads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternating/mixed grip for deads

Hey folks, don't usually post, but I am still trying to work my way up slowly, to 405 on the deadlift, and I am floating around 315 to 335 right now. I typically do symmetrical work sets so that I do over/underhand equally with both hands, regardless of how many reps. If I do 10, or 3 reps for a set with right hand underhanded (my favorite and strongest feeling), I do the same with my left underhanded.

Does this really matter? I'm not bodybuilding, and I only do the big "5" (squats, deads, bench, chins, overheads). Does anyone simply stick with one form of alternating grip, and not worry about some "development" issues in the back or even to a minor degree, arms? I've always alternated thinking that somehow, if I did not work my left side (underhanded) equally on deads, somehow, my shoulder, traps or back would eventually be significantly weaker--more than an aesthetic concern.

Yet, I feel like I have a better grip with the right "underhanded" and left overhanded, and could focus on my strongest position to start moving up into the higher 300s.

What does everyone else do or think about this? thanks.

Originally posted by KentuckyCelt View Post
    Yet, I feel like I have a better grip with the right "underhanded" and left overhanded, and could focus on my strongest position to start moving up into the higher 300s.

What does everyone else do or think about this? thanks.
    Yep, if you are right handed then that's right mate. No point really doing 50/50 with either side (unless you're a BB'er concerned with staying as synettrical & balanced as possible, which you say you aren't).

However, If your goal is to pull 405 then once you are strong enough to do so you're going to want to maximise your strength output while you work your way up to that weight ~ one or two higher rep warmup sets to get the groove/speed, then you can drop straight down to triples if you wanted to and work your way up.

Good luck, and feel free to post up a video of you pulling if you want any feedback and/or suggestions on your form. I assume you are pulling conventional rather than sumo? Cheers JIM.

Comment

Thanks mate, yep, I pull conventional, usually keep my rep range from 5 reps down to singles or doubles. I tend to have a workout like this:
      135 x 5 reps
      225 x 5/5
      275 x 3/3
      315 x 5sets x 2 reps

I am working on hitting 315 for triples, before I progressively move then entire weight system "up", so the bottom might look the same, but at the top end of the workout, I'd do 295 for triples, then 335 for singles or doubles. etc. I do a 2 min break between those lower weight ranges, and when I start working the triples, doubles, singles, I take 3 to 4.

FYI: I'm 5'8, 180lbs, 41 years old. And hey, I played Aussie rules here in the US last year (Metro league). Lots of fun. really really hot in the DC area though.

Comment

Working...
      X