Accessory work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessory work

I probably know the answer to this; BUT main lifts are moving up but can't progress much on any accessory movements.

Wouldn't I get stronger across the board or just so gassed after main movements that I can't expect much on accessory movements?
    My Journal: http://tiny.cc/3u1ys

list out the days and movements so we have a better idea of what accessory lifts are hitting what body parts.
    413/330/512 [email protected] APF raw

Comment

Originally posted by Diabetic Muscle View Post
      list out the days and movements so we have a better idea of what accessory lifts are hitting what body parts.
      Yep, what days are you hitting the accessory movements? Do you hit them on the same days as your big lifts or do they have a separate day?

I kind of have the same problem, realised last night just how weak I am at OHP. I know if I can bring that up it will benefit my bench.

Comment

Originally posted by reformathard View Post
        I probably know the answer to this; BUT main lifts are moving up but can't progress much on any accessory movements. Wouldn't I get stronger across the board or just so gassed after main movements that I can't expect much on accessory movements?
        Surely the answer is right there??

Comment

Originally posted by WelshWarrior View Post
          Surely the answer is right there??

Comment

Lol yeah I do the big movement first then follow with accessory work.

Ie squat followed by GHR and good mornings

Comment

i usually alternate between either trying to beat the logbook (even on accessory), or just switching exercises or exercise order.
              I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

I still improve my supplemental lifts while doing a comp lift first. If you are doing the same movement one week to the next or a close approximation you should be in the same fatigued state so I wouldn't blame that for poor progress. What sort of program are you following? How often do you take a max effort lift? Is your diet in check? Do you do anything to help you recover between sessions? I mean what you are telling us is pretty vague to me.

Comment

i have been doing 5/3/1 since November and am progressing nicely.haven't done 1rm since November but do the rep maxes 4x a week on different lifts; its really fun actually.

workouts go: main lift, then 3 movements for aux lifts. i rotate between bodyweight movements and weighted movements. i like high reps. upper body would be rows/chins/etc and lower body usually lunges/GHR/good mornings etc.

diet is in check around 3,000 calories a day and do use the foam roller and stretch on days off. i cut from 5 days a week to 4 with 5/3/1.

Comment

Doing 5/3/1 probably means it isn't a cns fatigue. Muscle recovery should be fine so that leaves rep schemes or movements as being the reason you aren't advancing. I would change what movements/reps you are doing even if its something minor like hand position on rows or neutral pullups as opposed to under hand pullups or going from 15 reps to 8. Keep the same movements/reps for 8 weeks then change. It'll take 8 weeks to really evaluate progress. That's just what I've seen work in the past. Like I said I don't believe being "gassed" is the cause. If you are getting stronger from week to week then you should be able to progress on everything not just the core lift.

Comment

Working...
                    X