Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.O.S.S Training Program - great for beginners and advanced trainers!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    alright he-man....throw in some strongman events in this mix.
    my strongman training
    Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.


    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Dabear View Post
      alright he-man....throw in some strongman events in this mix.
      Monday - legs/calves

      squats: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
      yoke walk or farmers walk
      stiff leg deadlifts: 1x15, 3x10
      standing calf raise: 3x30+
      seated calf raise: 3x30+

      Wednesday - chest/delts/tri's

      log press: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
      dips: 3x 8
      bench press: 2x15, 3x10-5

      Side laterals: 3x12
      skull crushers: 4x10-8
      push-downs: 3x15-10

      Friday - back/traps/bi's/

      deadlifts: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
      tire flips and sled drags
      chin-ups: 3x as many as possible
      barbell shrugs: 4x10 (go heavy)
      standing barbell curls: 1x15, 4x10-8
      hammer curls: 3x15-10 (each arms)


      Day 4 with stones

      That's what I would do if I had a contest upcoming. You can springboard from there.

      Rocky

      Comment


      • #48
        thats good....but i have to do my event work in one day
        my strongman training
        Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.


        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Dabear View Post
          thats good....but i have to do my event work in one day
          I suppose that is the smartest thing...it's not like any contests last a week lol

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by CaveMan View Post
            I suppose that is the smartest thing...it's not like any contests last a week lol
            always have done it that way, like a mini contest.
            also i don't have my own equipment anymore. have to travel 45 minutes to train events.
            my strongman training
            Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.


            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by laskerja View Post
              this looks very interesting. I would like to give this a try when i start bulking again. I am more into bb'ing but i love lifting heavy.

              would you ever throw a light week in here or there? it seems constant lifting heavy would murder your joints and run a great risk for injury. maybe when i start i can do something like this:

              week 1-HOSS
              week 2-HOSS
              week 3- 4 day split- high reps/hypertrophy workout isolation movements.
              week 4- repeat

              what do you think?
              also would you want to stay away from ALL cardio when using this routine?

              thanks
              bump for response.
              Turn the other cheek and I'll break your fucking chin.

              Comment


              • #52
                He-man,

                My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Would you suggest substituting with doing calf raises using a DB one leg at a time on a step, or doing toe presses on a leg press machine?

                Dustin
                Dustin
                "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
                John Ruskin

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Nuke View Post
                  He-man,

                  My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Would you suggest substituting with doing calf raises using a DB one leg at a time on a step, or doing toe presses on a leg press machine?

                  Dustin
                  I use the smith machine and a block of wood. My gym doesn't have one either.

                  Rocky

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Nuke View Post
                    He-man,

                    My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Would you suggest substituting with doing calf raises using a DB one leg at a time on a step, or doing toe presses on a leg press machine?

                    Dustin
                    You can do calf raises with a barbell also.

                    Addison K.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by chasebny View Post
                      bump for response.
                      That looks great to me. And like with any program - it's really just a guide line to follow and more importantly come back to when one strays too far. H.O.S.S is just bare boned, old school heavy basic lifting which I feel the new generation has gotten away from and even forgotten about.

                      Dabear - I also did event training every Sunday....all in one day switching it up and never doing the same events back to back. I would only train with weights twice a week, on Tues & Thurs, and I was my biggest/strongest EVER during that time. That strongman event training really packs on the size like nothing else.....but that's another program all together huh
                      FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Nuke View Post
                        He-man,

                        My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Would you suggest substituting with doing calf raises using a DB one leg at a time on a step, or doing toe presses on a leg press machine?Dustin
                        I didn't put it into the H.O.S.S Training Program, to keep things simple and not give a big explaination of the exercise like the one below LOL, but I prefer to do my calf raises (or toe presses as you call them in this case) on a leg press. I put on 4 plates/side....leave the saftey bar on.....press up with my legs to the top....lower my feet so the balls of my feet are just above the bottom of the platform....and start repping away. My calves BLEW UP HUGE when I switched to the leg press - calf presses. The stretch at the bottom is unlike any other and I personally feel that the better the stretch the bigger your calves will grow. I do sets of 30 + reps and the burn kicks in around 20 so the final 10 are crazy. Then I do either seated or standing calf raises. I highly recommend that everyone give these a try!!!
                        FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by He-Man View Post

                          Monday - legs/calves

                          squats: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15

                          then either: leg press or hack squats or front squats: 5x5
                          stiff leg deadlifts: 1x15, 3x10
                          standing calf raise: 3x30+
                          seated calf raise: 3x30+

                          Wednesday - chest/delts/tri's

                          bench press: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
                          dips: 3x as many as possible
                          then either: flat flys or incline flys or peck deck or cable cross-overs: 3x10
                          then either standing barbell press or standing dumbell press: 2x15, 3x10-5
                          then either skull crushers or over-head tricep extensions or close-grip bench press: 4x10-8
                          then either regular push-downs or rope push-downs or reverse grip push-downs: 3x15-10

                          Friday - back/traps/bi's/

                          deadlifts: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
                          then either bent barbell rows or t-bar rows or Hammer Strength rows: 1x15, 5x5
                          then either chin-ups: 3x as many as possible or wide grip front pull-downs 3 x15, 10, 8
                          barbell shrugs: 4x10 (go heavy)
                          standing barbell curls: 1x15, 4x10-8
                          then either hammer curls or preacher curls or spider curls or concentration curls: 3x15-10 (each arms)
                          HE-MAN,
                          i'm wondering which of the new exercises you would personally recommend? i did barbell hack squats today and they are my new favorite!! never done them before but i love them now. anyway, if i like the originals (i.e. barbell rows and flys etc) do you think i should still change them?
                          "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by TGC View Post
                            HE-MAN,
                            i'm wondering which of the new exercises you would personally recommend? i did barbell hack squats today and they are my new favorite!! never done them before but i love them now. anyway, if i like the originals (i.e. barbell rows and flys etc) do you think i should still change them?
                            Personally - I stuck on this program for almost 3 years....YES three years straight and made incredible gains. That's why I swear by it (that will be in my biography that I'm putting together). The only thing I changed here and there were some of the arm exercises as my tri's always grew super easy but my bi's always needed more work. I would do spider curls and preacher curls quite a bit AFTER barbell curls and I would add in some close grip bench press from time to time as I LOVE that exercise.

                            If you like it the way it is then stick to it (and I think dips, bent barbell rows, barbell curls, standing barbell shoulder press should ALWAYS be done IMO - flyes could be changed from flat to incline however right).......but after 3 months on the original program and during this next 2 month phase have a little fun and switch a few things up here and there to keep the mind fresh and the body guessing more then anything else. The 2 month phase is NOT a slacker stage....still go balls out and the BIG THREE and make gains on those in weight but if you want to add in those barbell hack squats then do them, if you want to switch arms exercises or shoulder exercises AFTER barbell curls or AFTER standing barbell shoulder press....then do them like maybe adding on some side raises here and there.....when those 2 months are up you'll be right back into the meat & potatoes original H.O.S.S madness LOL

                            Keep the questions coming guys!!! Summer is almost here and I want to hear how you're freaking people out
                            FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I love this program...my numbers seem to go up every week...love it!!!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by He-Man View Post
                                Personally - I stuck on this program for almost 3 years....YES three years straight and made incredible gains. That's why I swear by it (that will be in my biography that I'm putting together). The only thing I changed here and there were some of the arm exercises as my tri's always grew super easy but my bi's always needed more work. I would do spider curls and preacher curls quite a bit AFTER barbell curls and I would add in some close grip bench press from time to time as I LOVE that exercise.

                                If you like it the way it is then stick to it (and I think dips, bent barbell rows, barbell curls, standing barbell shoulder press should ALWAYS be done IMO - flyes could be changed from flat to incline however right).......but after 3 months on the original program and during this next 2 month phase have a little fun and switch a few things up here and there to keep the mind fresh and the body guessing more then anything else. The 2 month phase is NOT a slacker stage....still go balls out and the BIG THREE and make gains on those in weight but if you want to add in those barbell hack squats then do them, if you want to switch arms exercises or shoulder exercises AFTER barbell curls or AFTER standing barbell shoulder press....then do them like maybe adding on some side raises here and there.....when those 2 months are up you'll be right back into the meat & potatoes original H.O.S.S madness LOL

                                Keep the questions coming guys!!! Summer is almost here and I want to hear how you're freaking people out
                                the few variations i have done i like, they all work so well together in the whole program.
                                i think the next two months will be better than the first three. now i have my form and power down pretty well and i am excited to use it to move more weight. since i didnt make huge improvements on that before.
                                i could ask questions and pick your brain all day, i just dont want to be annoying. i might as well learn as much as i can though, right?
                                "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X