Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.O.S.S Training Program - great for beginners and advanced trainers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont know if i already asked you He-man but,just looking at the HOSS program.isnt it a bit long (2hrs a workout) i mean im in a strength cycle at the moment.but i wish to incoprate this in.

MOnday

BB Bench 2x15 ,2x3,3x3
    BB Standing Overhead Presses3x10
    Close grip bench 1x15 3x6
    SB weighted crunches 4x15

Wednesdat

Bodyweight walking Lunges2x20steps
    Squats 2 x 15, 2x5,3x3
    Deadlifts 2 x 15, 2x5,3x3
    One arm rows 3x12
    Pullups3x failure

Friday

Hanging leg raises4x15
    DB curls3x10
    HAMMer curls2x6
    Rotator cuff exercises4 x15-20
    BBbench press 3x15 (50% of 1RM)
    leg extentions 3x15 (50% of 1rm)

if you could help me out sorta adjusting it to the HOSS programm that would be great as really I wana win my class at a powerlifting comp next year in march

cheers,
    Ryan

Comment

my worout normally last about an hour to hour and half MAx.i rest about 2 mins between sets

Comment

Originally posted by ryrysimon View Post
        my worout normally last about an hour to hour and half MAx.i rest about 2 mins between sets
        Believe it or not H.O.S.S only takes 1 hour tops. As the lowest reps are the 5x5 portion each day you don't really need to rest longer then 1 minute...1 and half minutes tops between THOSE sets and the rest is less for all the other sets. I get it done in under 1 hour easily and others who are on it do it under 1 hr as well maybe 1hr and a half if your talking and slacking LOL. When doing ONLY HOSS I don't recommend any cardio so the idea is to work fairly quickly to really break a sweat and get those lungs working too LOL its a killer when done like that!!!

As for your goals of winning you class at a powerlifting comp....the training for that is pretty different then what HOSS is all about. HOSS is just a good, old school, free weight routine to be followed year round to gain mass and strength (in that order). If you're going for pure strength, and YOU are....the training is different where you should be adding in 1RM's, doubles and triples, training with bands and chains, having max effort (heavy days) and speed training (exposive, fast rep days).

Are you doing all three lifts or just one of them?
        FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

yeah planning to do all lifts but more confident about my deadlift.

Oh ok ..hmmmm it makes sense becuase i remmebr doing something similar to you HOSS programme earlier this year for my legs but and i increasd mass and strength together in about 6 weeks.

increased by squat by 95kg to 180kg

Comment

is there anyway i can put close grip bench in there as one of the lifts on chest/tri day because thats my fav lift for tris. like would close grip and skulls be good or close grip and pushdowns?

Comment

Originally posted by josh19 View Post
              is there anyway i can put close grip bench in there as one of the lifts on chest/tri day because thats my fav lift for tris. like would close grip and skulls be good or close grip and pushdowns?
              Back in this thread on page 4 (I think LOL) I put up the H.O.S.S "switch-up program" here it is:

The H.O.S.S Training Program should be followed "as is" on page one of this thread for 3 months. After 3 months I would suggest the following substitutions for variety, mentally and physically, for 2 months followed by ONE complete week OFF from ALL TRAINING and then get back on the program "as is". Here is the H.O.S.S "Switch-Up" Program with substitution ideas:

Monday - legs/calves

squats: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
              then either: leg press or hack squats or front squats: 5x5
              stiff leg deadlifts or lying/seated/standing leg curls: 1x15, 3x10
              standing calf raise: 3x30+
              seated calf raise: 3x30+

Wednesday - chest/delts/tri's

bench press: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
              dips: 3x as many as possible
              then either: flat flys or incline flys or peck deck or cable cross-overs: 3x10
              then either standing barbell press or standing dumbell press: 2x15, 3x10-5
              then either skull crushers or over-head tricep extensions or close-grip bench press: 4x10-8
              then either regular push-downs or rope push-downs or reverse grip push-downs: 3x15-10

Friday - back/traps/bi's/

deadlifts: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
              then either bent barbell rows or t-bar rows or Hammer Strength rows: 1x15, 5x5
              then either chin-ups: 3x as many as possible or wide grip front pull-downs 3 x15, 10, 8
              barbell shrugs: 4x10 (go heavy)
              standing barbell curls: 1x15, 4x10-8
              then either hammer curls or preacher curls or spider curls or concentration curls: 3x15-10 (each arms)

During this phase the idea is to continue to go balls out on squats, banch press & deadlifts maming increases in weight weekly or reps AND balls out on all other exercises during this 2 month period. I would also say its OK to add in some light cardio on Tuesday & Thursday - 30 mins of light treadmill or stationary bike keeping the heartrate under 130bpm's - but take SATURDAY & SUNDAY OFF 100%. Cardio on Tues & Thurs should only come into play if you feel you've put on a little too much bodyfat during the first 3 months on H.O.S.S. If you think you look and feel fine then I would NOT do anything on those days!!! Abs get more then enough work from the squats, deadlifts, standing barbell presses, curls etc etc so don't worry about those. Seeing your 6 pack is a matter of diet but this program isn't concerned with beach bods LOL This "substitution" phase is only to switch things up for the mind and body - but GO HEAVY.....don't wimp out. H.O.S.S is all about getting HUGE!!!
              FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

Time to get HUGE!!!
                FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

I did my first HOSS legs workout yesterday. I loved it! I felt like shit doing the squats but at the same time I loved it (you know that love-hate relationship with training legs). I'm stoked to do chest tomorrow! HOSS kicks ass!

Comment

Originally posted by john_anders View Post
                    I did my first HOSS legs workout yesterday. I loved it! I felt like shit doing the squats but at the same time I loved it (you know that love-hate relationship with training legs). I'm stoked to do chest tomorrow! HOSS kicks ass!
                    GREAT to hear John. And I know what you mean about leg training, I use to hate it but now I LOVE it. I love the feeling, when I squat, of dropping into the hole with a shit load of weight on my upper back and then blasting out. There's something really empowering about that for me for some reason LOL

How long did the whole thing take you? are you nice and sore?
                    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

• The whole workout took about 1 hr 10 minutes when all was said and done. I am very nice and sore lol. Yesterday at work while doing random pat downs, I nearly toppled over when I had to squat down to check their legs.

Comment

• Originally posted by john_anders View Post
                        The whole workout took about 1 hr 10 minutes when all was said and done. I am very nice and sore lol. Yesterday at work while doing random pat downs, I nearly toppled over when I had to squat down to check their legs.
                        ahhhhhhh - now that's what I like to hear LOL

Keep it up!!!
                        FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

• This program is great! I've ran cross country and long distance for years and stayed in great shape as a result.

However over the past years, my current desk job and my laziness has stacked on weight and lost muscle mass.

After 3 months of lifting using various programs including the bodyforlife routine, I am seeing results but very minimal.

I started this program about 2 weeks back and I'm already seeing results and I'm actually sore now after workouts. I also have a better understanding of how to build bulk and strength.

My one question is about the reps list in the original post.

When I see:

standing barbell press: 2x15, 3x10-5

I assume that the last part (3x10-5) means that you do 3 sets of 10 and then one final set of 5 reps?

And one other question: In terms of reps as related to weight, in the example above, I start out with a lower weight for the 2x15 and then bump up for the 3x10 and then bump up again for the final 5 reps. Sound right?

Thanks again a no nonsense program I do from home and yes it takes about an hr. Not bad!

Comment

• Originally posted by blitz2311 View Post
                            This program is great! I've ran cross country and long distance for years and stayed in great shape as a result.

However over the past years, my current desk job and my laziness has stacked on weight and lost muscle mass.

After 3 months of lifting using various programs including the bodyforlife routine, I am seeing results but very minimal.

I started this program about 2 weeks back and I'm already seeing results and I'm actually sore now after workouts. I also have a better understanding of how to build bulk and strength.

My one question is about the reps list in the original post.

When I see:

standing barbell press: 2x15, 3x10-5

I assume that the last part (3x10-5) means that you do 3 sets of 10 and then one final set of 5 reps?

And one other question: In terms of reps as related to weight, in the example above, I start out with a lower weight for the 2x15 and then bump up for the 3x10 and then bump up again for the final 5 reps. Sound right?

Thanks again a no nonsense program I do from home and yes it takes about an hr. Not bad!
                            Hi - glad the program is working out for you!!! PM me with any further questions you might have OK

To answer your questions: the 2x15 sets are warm-ups so just pick one weight for those, say 135lbs would be what I might use, and do 2x15...stopping at 15 reps each time even if you can do more...its just warm-ups .

Next comes the 3x10-5 reps. The idea here is to find a weight that you have to struggle with to reach 10 reps on the first set, say 225lbs for example.....you might be shooting for 10 reps but only get 9 on the first set, 7 on the 2nd and 5 on the 3rd....get the idea? Ok, put it this way....if you pick a weight for your first set and you get 10 easy reps and stop at 10 even though you could've done 13 then the weight isn't heavy enough. Pick a weight that you can barely get, I'm talking your shaking and inching it up to get to 10 or maybe 9 on the first set. If the weight is 225lbs as in my "example" and this week you get 9,7,5 the goal for NEXT week the goal would be to get 10,8,8 or something like that.....once your easily geting 10 reps on the first set raise the weight up 10lbs....5lbs each side. Try going up in either weight OR reps each workout
                            FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

• Thanks for the fast response and answers...makes good sense now!

Comment

• One other question: I don't have a chin-up bar...any suggestions on good alternatives for chin-ups?

Comment

Working...
                                X