Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.O.S.S Training Program - great for beginners and advanced trainers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.O.S.S Training Program - great for beginners and advanced trainers!!!

I decided to start a thread dedicated my training concept, the H.O.S.S Training Program (Heavy Old School Strength Training Program) - thanks to caveman for helping me name the program. While I don't claim credit for reinventing the wheel with this program LOL I do think that what I have achieved is the distillation of my over 20 years of experience in the iron game starting out as bb'er, then a powerlifter, then a strongman and always a "weight lifter". This thread will outline the H.O.S.S Training Program by giving anyone interested the workout itself with an explaination as to why I've chosen these exercises and rep scheme as well the H.O.S.S Mass Gaining Diet.

In a nut shell I simply believe that something that shouldn't have become so complicated, "how to get HUGE", has unfortunately become chaos to some people. In an age when "health clubs" are weeding out the "real hardcore gyms" of the world, in an time when the magazines are littered with bullshit supplements with bullshit promises and the basic, compound lifts of the squat, bench press and deadlift have gone the way of the dinosaur for fear of having a bigger waist line or a bigger ass or fear of getting HUGE from doing them - it's time to bring them back with a vengeance!!! Welcome to the H.O.S.S Training Program (Heavy Old School Strength Training Program) and my philosophies

For those of you on the H.O.S.S Training Program please feel free to let us all know how it's going for you OK. Maybe one day this will be as famous as DoggCrapp Training LOL
    Last edited by He-Man; February 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM.
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

The simple idea behind the H.O.S.S Training Program program is to focus on the tried and true full body, compound movements of the squat, bench press and deadlift for the first exercises of each workout day. Some could argue that if you truly bust your balls and put 110% effort into those exercises you could actually be done for the day after doing just those. Well if I had you do that you'd think I was nuts LOL so I've added in some other great exercises that are also important on your journey to getting huge. Here's the program:

Monday - legs/calves

squats: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15 "pump & burn set"
    leg press: 5x5
    stiff leg deadlifts: 1x15, 3x10
    standing calf raise: 3x30+
    seated calf raise: 3x30+

Wednesday - chest/delts/tri's

bench press: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15 "pump & burn set"
    dips: 3x as many as possible
    flys: 3x10
    standing barbell press: 2x15, 3x8
    skull crushers: 4x10-8
    push-downs: 4x10

Friday - back/traps/bi's/

deadlifts: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15 "pump & burn set"
    bent rows: 1x15, 5x5
    chin-ups: 3x as many as possible
    barbell shrugs: 4x10 (go heavy)
    standing barbell curls: 1x15, 4x10
    hammer curls: 1x15, 3x10 (each arms)

I put legs first in the program on Day 1 because for most people legs are their weakest, or should I say least trained, bodypart hey....I said MOST people so that might not mean YOU...but I bet it probably does LOL they were my weak bodypart too for a long time until I started squatting properly and regularly. So let's start with Day 1 (usually on a Monday).

To explain the rep scheme for the first exercise each day we'll use the squat as an example, it goes like this:

squats: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15

So the 2x15's are warm-up sets or feel sets I call them, to see where you're at that day and to prepare you for the working sets to come. The 1x10 is still a warm-up but its getting a little heavier nowthe REAL working sets are the 5x5.....these are the balls out sets, use one weight for all 5 sets. And then there is the 1x15 "pump & burn set" at the end to set your muscles on fire.

***The reps should be done as follows: When you do 1x15 that is a warm-up set but you should still find a weight that you struggle on the last 2-3 reps...1x10 (still considered a warm-up) you should really be using a weight that allows about 1x 8 or 9 with some struggle near the end to get the final 1-2 reps - when you are doing 10 reps with that weight (a week or 2 down the road...increase the weight and start again) and w/ the 5x5 sets you should be able to hit 5 reps on say the first 3 sets but on the last 2 sets you should only be able to do 3 or 4...So pick ONE weight and stick with it for the whole 5x5 sets OK. I'll give you example of what I would typically use for squats OK. I would use 135x15, 225x15, 315x10 and then I jump right to 495 for my 5x5 working sets and then go back down to 225lbs for the final 1x15 PUMP & BURN SET. Once again, if you can do 5 sets of 5 reps the weight you've chosen it isn't heavy enough...so increase it!!! The final set of 15 reps, or the PUMP & BURN set, should be done with the weight you used on your second 1x15 set...I find that seems to work the best (so 225lbs in my example given above) but GO TO FAILURE if you can do more then 15 reps. Do NOT do any drop sets or negatives or anything like that but just go to natural failure. You might be able to hit 20 reps on the final set so go for it. With the warm-ups, 5x5 sets and the "pump & burn set" in this program you get verying rep ranges to help with growth/shape, to activate the muscle fibers and tax the muscles and respritory system differently AND most importantly to build strength & MASS. The bench & deadlift rep scheme are exactly the same as above and for ALL exercises for that matter. After warm-ups use one weightfor your 5x5 or 4x10 or 3x10 sets. ALL final sets are to natural human failure

Make sure you really give the squats your all. Do them in a power rack and set the saftey bars just lower then the bottom position of the squat (hopefully you're being honest with yourself and truly going BELOW parallel - if not then start). To help me go below parallel I set the saftey bars at the perfect height at the bottom position of the squat for me so that I actually ding them on each rep (not hard like slamming into them...I just ding them softly and then EXPLODE up out of the bottom position) so I know I've gone the proper distance down.....if I don't ding, I don't count the rep....but I hardly ever don't ding anymore LOL Now, if you're truly squatting balls out and then doing leg presses balls out heavy followed by stiff legs - you've just worked your entire legs fully and utterly and you should be fried.....what else could you possibly do? why would you need to do more...or better yet HOW could you even possibly want do more? I have the answer - you're still thinking like a bb'er LOL You seriously just have to give the program a good solid try......you'll see that extensions, lunges and hamstring curls are NOT needed after doing killer squats let alone everything else!!! And you should almost feel like puking just from the squats alone LOL. Forget the "shaping" exercises OK. They have their place, just not in THIS program. H.O.S.S is all about the BIG 3 as they get the natural test and hgh levels flowing like nothing else can. The basic exercises, done with low reps, naturally trigger the bodies testosterone output, but the higher reps and longer time under tension for the 2x15, 1x10 and the final 1x15 "pump & burn sets" force the body to output more AND raise growth hormone levels. With H.O.S.S you have all the bases covered!

REST TIME BETWEEN SETS - The warm-ups on the first exercise, of each day, shouldn't take too long - the first 2 sets of 2x15 reps should be done with 30-40 secs rest between sets.....these are just lights warm-ups and are meant to get the body & mind into the groove of what's to come, plus higher reps hit the muscle fibers a little differently and are meant to get the heart kick started and get you breathing deeply. The next set of 1x10 should be done within 1 minute of the last set of 1x15....therefore the 3 warm-ups should not take longer then 5 mins to complete. Next comes the 5x5 sets.....try not to rest longer then 1 to 1 1/2 mins OK. These are strength reps but not to be confused with 1 or 2 or even 3RM's which would need 2-2 1/2 mins + so try to learn the feeling of 1 to 1 1/2 mins of rest for this program IMO.

Therefore if you rest at the high end of 1 1/2 mins between sets for the 5x5 sets they should take 10mins max. The final set is the pump and burn set of another 1x15 and is done to shock and confuse the muslces and get some cardio over load so try to basically strip the weight after your last 5x5 set and GO FOR IT. So that's 5 mins for 3 warm-ups sets and 10 mins for the 5x5 and another 1min for the final 1x15....therefore the first exercise of each workout, squats, bench, deads - should be over in around 15mins - even 20 mins MAX so that leaves lots of time for the rest of the exercises. All the other exercise on each day should be kept in the 1 min to 1 1/2 min rest time frame - work up to this OK and you could even try to rest less for the final exercises like curls or calves or tri's.....like back to under 1 min.

Since I don't recommend any cardio during this phase and H.O.S.S came about during my years of powerlifting/strongman hybrid training the idea is to try to keep the rest periods under 1 1/2 mins but preferably around 1 minute.....this will get you sweating like nothing else as your heart will be pounding out of your chest and your lungs will be on fire.....and the HOSS program encompasses multi rep schemes like 15's, 10's, 5's and then 15's to get the heart going and to hit different fibers and to get different results ALL in one workout program. So next time you hit the gym just get into things. The idea is not to go FAST and careless but to get into a "trance" and not fuck around....1 to 1 1/2 mins of rest is quite a bit these workouts should be done in well under 1 1/2 hours......I usually get them done in 1 hr.

Get in, get out and GROW!!!

The same thing goes for Wednesday and Friday or Days 2 & 3. Bench press balls out first and deadlift balls out first on their respective days. Just doing these exercises as is will kick your ass. Now keep in mind that I advise you switch up the program a little after 3 MONTHS of following H.O.S.S AS IS!!! After 3 months I advise you spend the next 1 MONTH period doing variations of the BIG 3 and the exercises that follow as variety is the spice of life but only after giving this an honest try for 3 MONTHS OK (The ONE MONTH Switch Up program can be found later in this thread).

So try the program AS IS above for at least 3 months. Don't even add in another day, like doing something Thurday, because it will effect your deadlifts and those are VERY important. Don't forget that deadlifts from the floor actually work your thighs and hamstrings so in essence you are training your legs directly once and indirectly again on back day. Just give it 3 months and make adjustments from there OK. You could do some cardio on Saturday.....but I don't see the need if you're trying to get HUGE. Just eat clean and you won't get fat right. Not seeing abs or striations doesn't mean you're fat LOL blurry abs are OK and you always want to see some legs & calf definition and nice shape to the bi's & tris. If you lose all that then we'll talk

Look further on into this thread for the ONE MONTH H.O.S.S SWITCH UP PROGRAM
    Last edited by He-Man; February 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM.
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

thanks for posting this! it seems everyone makes training so complicated. this breaks it down to the basics.
      my strongman training
      Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Comment

this looks very interesting. I would like to give this a try when i start bulking again. I am more into bb'ing but i love lifting heavy.

would you ever throw a light week in here or there? it seems constant lifting heavy would murder your joints and run a great risk for injury. maybe when i start i can do something like this:

week 1-HOSS
        week 2-HOSS
        week 3- 4 day split- high reps/hypertrophy workout isolation movements.
        week 4- repeat

what do you think?
        also would you want to stay away from ALL cardio when using this routine?

thanks

Comment

old school is where its heavy, heavy weights with simple compound movements = thick ass muscles... goodluck man
          AAEFX Internet Rep
          AAEFX.com prrstraining.com

Comment

do you still pretty much use this program alone? with your event days mixed in?
            "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

Comment

He-Man, how can I incorporate bow-flex into your program??
              Training "gurus" LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Nassar View Post
                He-Man, how can I incorporate bow-flex into your program??
                Easily - crumple it up into a ball using your only grip stength alone
                FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

More to come on the program soon!!!
                  FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

Originally posted by He-Man View Post
                    Training "gurus" LOL!!!

Comment

cant wait, this looks like a killer off-season mass routine.

Comment

HOSS does sound good, i have been on the DC training and it works, and i might over the summer and try this, sounds like it would work as good as DC training

Comment

Hey guys....it's my birthday TODAY March 1st so I've been busy doing family things, parties etc etc blah blah. I have been putting my H.O.S.S Training Program all together though and I will be putting it up in segments explaining the 3 days in depth, like I did for Day 1 (Mon) Legs & Calves, as well as my ideas on diet and supplements. It's simple, to the point and NO BULL!!!

Stay tuned......H.O.S.S is the future.....because the past always comes around full cirlce
                          FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

Well, Happy Birthday, bro! I like that last quote of yours, by the way.

Rocky

Comment

Hey guys....it's my birthday TODAY March 1st so I've been busy doing family things, parties etc etc blah blah. I have been putting my H.O.S.S Training Program all together though and I will be putting it up in segments explaining the 3 days in depth, like I did for Day 1 (Mon) Legs & Calves, as well as my ideas on diet and supplements. It's simple, to the point and NO BULL!!!

Stay tuned......H.O.S.S is the future.....because the past always comes around full cirlce
                              nice.....Happy Birthday BTW

Comment

Working...
                              X