Regular vs Sumo Style Deads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular vs Sumo Style Deads

What do you use? Is one "better" for big numbers than the other? I do deadlifts NOT for competition but just for training and I use the regular style however it seems alot of guys are pulling big weight sumo style. In competition does it matter which style you use? Discuss.
    I prefer sumo style DL
    17.59%
    I prefer regular style DL
    63.89%
    I prefer sumo style DL BUT have never tried regular
    0.00%
    I prefer regular style DL BUT have never tried sumo
    18.52%
    My journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...=26461&page=64

no sumo in strongman. when i have tried it hurts my hips.
    my strongman training
    Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Comment

If I ever do a powerlifting comp again, I'll go back to sumo. But in strongman it's not allowed (as Dabear said) so I train regular.

Comment

I can pull alot more conventional, but I do heavy sumos once a month as part of my Westside program. They were really awkward at first, but im getting better at them

Comment

I do regular deadlifts. But a question about sumos, are your feet pointed straight ahead like a regular deadlift, except wider, or are they wider and pointed out to the side (pointing at the plates on the bar)? Thanks!
          "Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world."

Comment

Originally posted by GameofInches View Post
            I do regular deadlifts. But a question about sumos, are your feet pointed straight ahead like a regular deadlift, except wider, or are they wider and pointed out to the side (pointing at the plates on the bar)? Thanks!
            Game of Inches,
            I usually do regular deadlifts - but workin' on Sumos now - here's a great pix of what the stance looks like - it's what I've been taught to do & other MDers might chime in:

Sumo Deadlift

The Sumo deadlift is a variation of the deadlift whereby the legs are spread far apart to the sides, mimicking the stance of a sumo wrestler. This variation changes the emphasis of the lift and places more work on the hips and legs and a bit less work on the back. Depending on your build the sumo deadlift may be easier to perform then the conventional deadlift.
            When doing the sumo deadlift, rather then focusing on pulling the weight up, focus on keeping your knees out wide and pushing your feet out to the sides as if you are trying to spread the floor apart with your feet. At the same time bring your hips forward. This will improve your leverage and allow you lift more weight.

Comment

Great, thank you!
              "Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world."

Comment

I've rtied sumo on more than one occassion, but I have always returned to conventional. Sumo is hard on my hips and I find that my grip gets broken on my pronated hand.

Also for back developement conventional is the way to go IMO.

Comment

Depends on whats comfortable. I pull 75lbs more sumo then conventional, but i incorporate both into my workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
                    Depends on whats comfortable. I pull 75lbs more sumo then conventional, but i incorporate both into my workouts.
                    Agree w/ya Sid - using Sumos right now to break through my 1RM on the conventional deadlift - which is still my fav.

Comment

Originally posted by speedy2 View Post
                      Agree w/ya Sid - using Sumos right now to break through my 1RM on the conventional deadlift - which is still my fav.
                      I pull 605lbs sumo and 565lbs conv. Last time I maxed..them I did sumo a couple of months before conventional though..

Comment

Sid is right, Im just the opposite. I pulled 565 conv 8 weeks ago, and I pulled 510 4 weeks ago. Its about what works best for you. I also incorporate both into my workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by thesjac View Post
                          What do you use? Is one "better" for big numbers than the other? I do deadlifts NOT for competition but just for training and I use the regular style however it seems alot of guys are pulling big weight sumo style. In competition does it matter which style you use? Discuss.
                          In my opinion, conventional deadlift is the true test of deadlift power.

Sumo deadlifts incorporate your legs much more and are not a true test of back strength.

I've noticed the majority of monster squatters and women sumo deadlift because their legs are much stronger than their backs.

Additionally, suits help sumo deadlifts much more because the pop they give off the floor.

AK

Comment

IMO sumo's,, goodmornings,, are good,, only to get you regular deadlift up,, but i come from a deadlifting training style

Comment

Originally posted by sorel_C View Post
                              IMO sumo's,, goodmornings,, are good,, only to get you regular deadlift up,, but i come from a deadlifting training style
                              Preach, brother!

AK

Comment

Working...
                              X