This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panter,

At what point does one start using straps? Because I always just assume grip strength is part of the game, not sure I'd know when it was definitely my grip going, versus what I could actually do (although I notice this on later reps in a lighter set, like 225) .

I like continuing with the double overhand for a warm up, to kinda keep that ability. I will continue to move my warm up weight up, as I progress up with my PR., using the double overhand, as I do now at 225 x 10.

I've been doing variations of 5 x 5, 10/8/6 + a few higher doubles, singles, etc. All of it seems to have worked. Working an exercise (like deads or squats) once a week, or twice a week....etc etc. I've changed things up, with the only constant being rest--ensuring I take at least that day between the major lifts. Other than that, I've done a few different rep and volume schemes, just ensuring my weights are moving upward nearly each week.

People--laymen who don't read sites like this-- do not realize how big you will start to get, and feel, from really pushing the lower reps in the big 3 (plus overhead). I guess it's the GH floating around. Once I gave up the strict pyramid sets, and started "going for it", with triples, doubles and singles, understanding their would be a bit less volume in that workout, I started to see my numbers shoot up.

I'm addicted to it. And you know the cool thing? My 13 year old is getting into it too, and I can only imagine how strong he can get, getting in on the front end of powerlifting.

Comment

• If you're a powerlifter then not often. If you're a BBr or just pull for fun, as soon as the weight gets too heavy for you to grip.
      PanterA is a fictional character for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• I pulled 375x5 last week. No belt, but used straps. That one rep max calculator says 422, but I know thats not true. Probably more around 410 or 415, but I don't see myself trying a 1 rep max deadlift... ever.

Comment

• Yesterday I pulled 396lbs for single, I myself only weigh 145lbs, tried 418lbs, was an inch away from locking it out, but im pretty sure I can get 418lb if I had more in the tank, it was too close tbh to fail it but had nuthing at all left in me to get that extra inch, buts its there im sure of it.

No straps, all chalk and callouses.
          “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”- Winston Churchill

Comment

• ^^^^ nice that's 2.67x body weight...
            http://www.blacklionresearch.com/

WORLD PHARM =

Comment

• Originally posted by USEALITTLE View Post
              ^^^^ nice that's 2.67x body weight...
              Thanks bro, hoping to get 418lbs, and if I can get it in a meet, that be so sweet.
              “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”- Winston Churchill

Comment

• what's the WR for that approximate bodyweight? that is an incredible amount of strength at your bodyweight.

Comment

• Originally posted by KentuckyCelt View Post
                  what's the WR for that approximate bodyweight? that is an incredible amount of strength at your bodyweight.
                  Thanks, well im 18 years old, so the WR is diffrent depending on what age your looking at.

Heres the records of the deadlift from the WPC at 148.5lbs weight class

18-19 yrs old WR:
                  566.5lbs

Junior:
                  598.84lbs

Open senior class:
                  693lbs

So despite my deadlift being gd for my bodyweight, im far off a world record! But doesnt mean I cant be competitive at a comp, depends whos there, as records are records for a reason.

Comment

• So you are one of the strongest dudes walking the planet under 150lbs. Curious what the standard deviations would be on that. Looks like the sky's the limit for you, if you are doing that, at 18 and at that weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by KentuckyCelt View Post
                      So you are one of the strongest dudes walking the planet under 150lbs. Curious what the standard deviations would be on that. Looks like the sky's the limit for you, if you are doing that, at 18 and at that weight.
                      thanks man, one of the strongest the world, not sure bout that but hey, we will see in November, im competing in the WPC Worlds held in Finland, tbh its just an honour to get the opporunity to lift at such a prestigious comp, costing me a fair few with travel expenses, but dont get such a opportunity all the time so fuck it, im going man even if it makes me broke

Comment

• wpc huh....... what type of equipment you use? brand and ply?

WORLD PHARM =

Comment

• Originally posted by USEALITTLE View Post
                          wpc huh....... what type of equipment you use? brand and ply?
                          well, used metal ace squatter with the straps down, not sure on the ply tbh its pretty thick though, but only have used it once during training so tbh havnt really started to master using it, have used an old single ply titan shirt which was a tad bit loose. Hope to get more out of it with more training sessions with the ace squatter, but obviously building my foundational strength will be a greater help as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Merat View Post
                            thanks man, one of the strongest the world, not sure bout that but hey, we will see in November, im competing in the WPC Worlds held in Finland, tbh its just an honour to get the opporunity to lift at such a prestigious comp, costing me a fair few with travel expenses, but dont get such a opportunity all the time so fuck it, im going man even if it makes me broke
                            I doubt there are many men at any age, let alone under 20 years of age (which means most likely, very little training, save someone like yourself) at that weight that can pull THAT much weight. Over 2.5x bodyweight? Seriously.

I'd be curious to see how you develop, genetically, what's available as far as growth. Obviously some growth is inevitable, but are you in that elite group that by 25 will be doing 800 or something?

I only wish I had started earlier

Comment

• Originally posted by Merat View Post
                              well, used metal ace squatter with the straps down, not sure on the ply tbh its pretty thick though, but only have used it once during training so tbh havnt really started to master using it, have used an old single ply titan shirt which was a tad bit loose. Hope to get more out of it with more training sessions with the ace squatter, but obviously building my foundational strength will be a greater help as well.

yeah is ace is a bad ass suit but in my assocation i can only use IPF approved equippment. the ace is not...... wish i could.

WORLD PHARM =

Comment

• before i injured my pec about seven months ago I was 15 and a half, weighed 160 and got up 375 I wont be able to test for a while longer though.
                                http://www.trueprotein.com/
                                5% off code: JSM111

Comment

Working...
                                X