Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't want a bar that's doesn't flex b/c when you do pull one that does you'll lose A LOT of power when you start to pull the bar with still slack in it.

You want to train with the same equipment you compete with. That way you know how to use it as well as you possibly can. Like squatting with a 55lbs bar if you're an equipped lifter, pulling with a deadlift bar, or squatting in a monolift. If you don't than you can be thrown off when it comes time to lift at the meet.
    Last edited by BrotherIron; March 27th, 2012, 02:02 AM.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Comment

• Well said bro

Comment

• Originally posted by USEALITTLE View Post
        question..... who are the 16 guys that deadlift 800+
        I also would like to know... and also know why there not pros?

Comment

• Pulled a 500 this last saturday at a meet for the IPA, i think i had some more in me too. got first place in my weight class(242, but weighed in at 238) for raw division.

Comment

• At 181 lbs body weight I did 525 on my last set for one rep.

Comment

• Am a life long drug free lifter and turn 40 years old in a few months time. Am pulling 525 raw at 165lbs bodyweight. Could everyone please list their bodyweight / age when they post thier total. the total figure is all relative to bodyweight / age. Im sure some of you big guys are pulling 600+ lifts, but if you weigh 250lbs its not so impressive. Any lift of 3 x your bodyweight or more is good. try downloading the glossbrenner formulas from google to get a lb for lb comparison of your lifts.

Comment

• i pulled 480 thursday. 5'9 180, 24 yrs old.
                My Journal: http://tiny.cc/3u1ys

Comment

• Originally posted by lash View Post
                  Am a life long drug free lifter and turn 40 years old in a few months time. Am pulling 525 raw at 165lbs bodyweight. Could everyone please list their bodyweight / age when they post thier total. the total figure is all relative to bodyweight / age. Im sure some of you big guys are pulling 600+ lifts, but if you weigh 250lbs its not so impressive. Any lift of 3 x your bodyweight or more is good. try downloading the glossbrenner formulas from google to get a lb for lb comparison of your lifts.
                  you dont consider over 2x your body weight a desent lift?

Comment

Am a life long drug free lifter and turn 40 years old in a few months time. Am pulling 525 raw at 165lbs bodyweight. Could everyone please list their bodyweight / age when they post thier total. the total figure is all relative to bodyweight / age. Im sure some of you big guys are pulling 600+ lifts, but if you weigh 250lbs its not so impressive. Any lift of 3 x your bodyweight or more is good. try downloading the glossbrenner formulas from google to get a lb for lb comparison of your lifts.
                    That's still a decent lift ?!

I've only pulled 3 x bw a handful of times (pulled 418 @ 139 and 429 @ 143 a few times)... I've gotta be having an absolutely amazing day to even attempt that haha!

Comment

At the end of the day the biggest total is what matters. Yes it's impressive to see a small lifter lift a lot of weight but to say if you weigh 250lbs and you pull 600lbs isn't impressive is nothing more than sour grapes on your end b/c you're 75lbs away from pulling 600lbs. A 250lbs lifter pulling 700lbs is WAY more impressive than a 185lbs pullling 500lbs. Anyone can pull 500lbs if they work hard enough, long enough BUT VERY FEW EVER PULL 700lbs or more raw.

Why is it that small people want to go by multiples of bodyweight?.... easy b/c they can't lift a lot of weight. Plain and simple the heaviest weight is the most impressive.
                      Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Comment

• Originally posted by BrotherIron View Post
                        At the end of the day the biggest total is what matters. Yes it's impressive to see a small lifter lift a lot of weight but to say if you weigh 250lbs and you pull 600lbs isn't impressive is nothing more than sour grapes on your end b/c you're 75lbs away from pulling 600lbs. A 250lbs lifter pulling 700lbs is WAY more impressive than a 185lbs pullling 500lbs. Anyone can pull 500lbs if they work hard enough, long enough BUT VERY FEW EVER PULL 700lbs or more raw.

Why is it that small people want to go by multiples of bodyweight?.... easy b/c they can't lift a lot of weight. Plain and simple the heaviest weight is the most impressive.
                        like i said that is what the glossbrenner formulas are for - they make direct comparisons on a like fof like basis between competitors of differing bodyweights. That is how an overall competion winner is calculated.

eg a 165lb man would need to lift 568lb (3.4x bodyweight) to equal a 250lb man pulling a 700lb (2.8x bodyweight) lift. So no sour grapes, simply stating that most deadlift meets are won by well over 3 x bodyweight lifts. in bodybuilding terms think ronnie coleman pulling an 800lb double at probably 275lbs, or franco columbu who was a deadlift machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
                          That's still a decent lift ?!

I've only pulled 3 x bw a handful of times (pulled 418 @ 139 and 429 @ 143 a few times)... I've gotta be having an absolutely amazing day to even attempt that haha!
                          3x bodyweight lifts are what im talking about... and you have plenty more in the tank. Keep pulling those big lifts my antipodean brother..! you will appreciate that just because your not 6.0' tall or breaking the scales that you can still be strong. you must be surrounded by some moari monsters in your gym, but lb for lb I bet you blow them away. keep up the good work.

Comment

• Originally posted by weightslayer View Post
                            you dont consider over 2x your body weight a desent lift?
                            the world record for the raw deadlift for every weight class is well over 3x bodyweight. All weight classes 220lb and under are well over 4x bodyweight. eg Ed Coan 901lb @ 220lb bodyweight. you decide if 2 times your bodyweight is a good lift.

Comment

• why is it that we're talking about world records? you didnt say anything about that. do you compete, if so when was your last meet? why dont you post up some results. and no one on this forum is even close to Ed Coan so thats kind of a un fair comparison.

Comment

the world record for the raw deadlift for every weight class is well over 3x bodyweight. All weight classes 220lb and under are well over 4x bodyweight. eg Ed Coan 901lb @ 220lb bodyweight. you decide if 2 times your bodyweight is a good lift.
                                You are talking about World records though, safe to say there's a lot of guys on here that's pulling between 600-700lb and for many that falls between 2-3 x bw. Still a decent lift ~ 700lb is 700lb regardless of what you weigh. Sure, it's impressive when you get the smaller guys lift that kind of weight, but it's not the only determining factor of strength.

Comment

Working...
                                X