Training Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Question

How do you guys feel about squatting and deadlifting in the same day?

I used to train heavy squats and heavy deadlifts on the same workout, but I don't anymore. It's tough to do, I used to be exhausted after those workouts. Now I train heavy deadlifts and speed squats on one day, and heavy squats and speed deadlifts on another.

Comment

Personally I don't like to put legs and back together. I know some people who train that way but honestly after I'm done with the one the other is just fluff b/c I can't push it the way I would want so I split them.
      Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Comment

If you have to do it, here is my suggestion. At one workout deadlift sumo and squat narrow-stance. At the next squat/dead workout, deadlift conventional and squat wide-stance. Keep track of your weights to make sure nothing is slipping.

Comment

Sweet advice CaveMan thanks

Comment

I love it.
            Offers a full week of recovery for the posterior chain rather than slamming it hard twice in one week.

I use the same stance all the tome for each lift but I would vary it another way.
            Week 1
            squat - heavy (singles - triples)
            deads - lighter (one set of 8-15 reps) but should still be all out

Week 2
            Deads - heavy as above
            Squats - lighter as above

This way you get stronger (cns, and neurological adaptions) AND better at reps (more muscle and total workload) on both moves.

Comment

If you really want to increase the #'s on those lifts and pack on the mass I personally think its better doing them on seperate days so you can really focus on each lift individually. BOTH are so incredibly important to over all strength and mass, I just feel they need a day to themselves to get the most out of them. If I tried to do both deadlifts AND squats on the same day the gym would have to call 911 to get me out of there LOL
              FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

i used to squat and deadlift twice aweek many yrs ago. but back then i was younger... my joints were younger and my recovery was out of the roof. now i just focus on one or the other. i feel better and my number jump.

Comment

I was just thinking....sometimes I think I'm nuts for doing both deadlifts AND squats in the same WEEK hahaha let alone the same workout. Keep in mind I do 10 sets of deads or squats in a session these days followed by 2 or 3 other exercises after for each bodypart. I set myself up in a power rack, drag over a bench so I can pass out on it in between sets and I spend around 30mins just on deads or squats. My numbers are through the roof and my back is bigger then ever and so are my legs. To each his own but doing squats and deads in the same workout seems more like a CROSSFIT type workout, which isn't bad depending on your goals, then a power/strength/mass workout!!!

What are your goals? and why the desire to do both in the same workout? lack of available workout days in the week?
                  FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

Originally posted by He-Man View Post
                    I was just thinking....To each his own but doing squats and deads in the same workout seems more like a CROSSFIT type workout, which isn't bad depending on your goals, then a power/strength/mass workout!!!

What are your goals? and why the desire to do both in the same workout? lack of available workout days in the week?
                    Exactly where did you get thise idea from? Sheiko (The most Popular Russian Powerlfiting Routine) and WestSide Barbell BOTH have their lifters squat and deadlift in the same day. The Russian Sheiko Training Reigmen has produced the strongest athletes out there today. Just look at all the Russian Records held at the World Level.

Just b/c you deadlift and/or squat, hardly qualifies you to claim to be a strength athlete. Just like someone who does Cleans doesn't make them an Oly Lifter.
                    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Comment

I will front squat after snatches on day 1 and on day 3 deadlift and then back squat. It's hard, but definitely doable. I got this idea from an article with Poundstone, but have come to find out that many lifters are doing this.
                      WWW.PETHUMB.COM

Comment

Originally posted by supertick View Post
                        I will front squat after snatches on day 1 and on day 3 deadlift and then back squat. It's hard, but definitely doable. I got this idea from an article with Poundstone, but have come to find out that many lifters are doing this.
                        Everyone is different. Poundstone trains for 4hrs + a day and eats thousands of calories/day and weighs 320+ lbs. Ronnie Coleman trained each bodypart twice a week etc etc.

The only "trick" to all this is just finding out what works for YOU.
                        FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

Everyone is different no doubt but I think anyone free of injury can grow and get stronger with squats and DL in the same day. I don't think splitting body parts makes you any stroner in the long run.
                          WWW.PETHUMB.COM

Comment

It can be done, but as you get progressively stronger, it can be too much on your lower back

Comment

Originally posted by Sexybeast777 View Post
                              It can be done, but as you get progressively stronger, it can be too much on your lower back
                              One of the problems I encounter for sure. My lower back pumps up so damn much. I don't have problems there or weakness it just gets ultra mega pumped.
                              FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Comment

Working...
                              X