First Powerlifting Meet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Powerlifting Meet Question

I am doing my first powerlifting meet this weekend, its just bench and deadlift, I am only doing deadlift because my shoulder. I have never competed before and was wondering what you guys would recommend I do for a warm up and how heavy I should go for my attempts.

Three weeks ago I deadlifted 515 at practice after working up with singles and attempted 525 but couldnt get it and last week I deadlifted 525 at practice working up with singles and attempted 530 and couldnt get it.

Should my opening weight be 525? More, less? And how should I warm up?

Thanks for the help.

You should open with a lot less than 525, it should be a weight that you can get easily on a bad day. As for how should you warm-up, I would working up to 40-50lbs away from your opener, so lets say you are going to open up with 495, you should work up to 455.

Comment

what ever you can do for a tripple should be your opener. i like to go close to my max on the second att. so if there is anything left i can judge it and take it from there.

my last # i pulled where....

1st 639(way easy)2nd 688.9, 3rd 705.5 (got it up with 1 red light)
      http://www.blacklionresearch.com/

WORLD PHARM =

Comment

I remember Louie Simmons saying:
        Opener should be 90% of your max and the second attempt should be a new max (even if it's by 5lbs.) Then the third depends on the second. I like that strategy.

Comment

Easy or light opener! It is not how you start, but how you finish. You don't want to open up to heavy and possible bomb in your first meet.

Equipment check list
          1. Gym bag
          2. Bp shirt(2) and dl suit
          3. wrist wraps
          4. singlet
          5. belt
          6. Cooler
          7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
          8. H20
          9. Towel
          10. Camera
          11. Membership card
          12. Extra $$$$
          13. Extra clothes
          14. Pen
          15. icy hot or bengay ointment
          16. Deodorant
          17. Vitamin H20

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG WILLIE J.T. HALL View Post
            Easy or light opener! It is not how you start, but how you finish. You don't want to open up to heavy and possible bomb in your first meet.

Equipment check list
            1. Gym bag
            2. Bp shirt(2) and dl suit Would these be optional or dependant on the type of meet?
            3. wrist wraps
            4. singlet
            5. belt
            6. Cooler
            7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
            8. H20
            9. Towel
            10. Camera
            11. Membership card
            12. Extra $$$$
            13. Extra clothes
            14. Pen
            15. icy hot or bengay ointment
            16. Deodorant
            17. Vitamin H20

Good luck!
            Yeah bro, good luck. You have a good strong deadlift, be sure to follow up with a report and of course... some photos

Comment

Have fun this weekend mate, will check back early next week to find out how you went. I hope someone is going with you, it's great to have a few photos you can look back on afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal View Post
                I am doing my first powerlifting meet this weekend, its just bench and deadlift...
                So what happened? I PM'd Primal as well but didn't hear back. Strange

Comment

Originally posted by bigjimsty View Post
                  Yeah bro, good luck. You have a good strong deadlift, be sure to follow up with a report and of course... some photos
                  It would depend on the type of meet. If you are competing unequipped, no squat, bench press & deadlift suit is required. If you are competing equipped, then you need a squat, bench press & deadlift suit.

Comment

Hey, I want to thank everyone for the help. I am a currently working on my Masters/PhD and rarely get on the boards, I apologize for not responding to the PM's and responses, I realize its 4months later haha. I ended up pulling 540lb officially, I got one red light on 560. I had pictures but my car got broken in into and my camera was stolen about a week after the meet before I could upload the photos. Again, thank you for the help!

Comment

Congrats! A new PR at your first meet... I'd call that a success!

Good luck with the PhD and future lifting!!

Comment

Working...
                      X