This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tipsta View Post
    I do 3 sets seated 15 reps failing at 12 rest pause to 15 with 3 to 5 second INTENSE peak contractions. Not just holding the weight up but actually squeezing. Then super set the last one with weight enough to do continuous reps with about 1 second contraction failing at 20, this is for the other fibers that make up a very small portion of the muscle, then rest pause to 25 with 3 second contractions again.

Next I do standing 3 sets 15 failing at 12 with the same 3 to 5 second contractions. I superset these with standing no weight with 1 second contractions for 15 to activate whatever other fibers exist within the muscle.

After every set I do very intense peak contractive work with contractions from 10 to 15 seconds until it self cramps slightly.
    I then follow that up with intense stretching to elongate the muscle.

Remember one very important thing. The longer a muscle is the bigger it will be in as contracted state. Take a piece of tin foil. A small piece makes a small ball but if I were to pull out a long piece it would make a big ball. The same with a muscle if my bicep is full from elbow attachment to shoulder attachment then when I contract it there is more to group together. Length = Size.
    got a pic of your calves?
    Myth's training blog:

Comment

Duration of peak contraction for calves is interesting...

I have always utilized the extreme stretch under load (i.e DC style 15 sec. holds in the stretched position) and felt it worked well.

I never held the contraction BUT used Larry Scott's approach to use a stick to give yourself a few forced reps at the end to get the contraction as tight as you can.

I wonder if it is beneficial to do both - hold the peak contraction as you suggest and hold the stretch position in the same rep. Does one take away from the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Palumbo's Advocate View Post
        got a pic of your calves?

Nope
        TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
        Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Comment

Originally posted by datBtrue View Post
          Duration of peak contraction for calves is interesting...

I have always utilized the extreme stretch under load (i.e DC style 15 sec. holds in the stretched position) and felt it worked well.

I never held the contraction BUT used Larry Scott's approach to use a stick to give yourself a few forced reps at the end to get the contraction as tight as you can.

I wonder if it is beneficial to do both - hold the peak contraction as you suggest and hold the stretch position in the same rep. Does one take away from the other?

Very beneficial to do both but not in the same exercise. Each set of every exercise you do must be followed with a set of intense elongation work. Once you come down you must IMMEDIATELY EXPLODE back up to activate the fast twitch fibers. Once again we want to duplicate its action. Its ability to explode very quickly, as well as stay in a PEAK contracted state for a period of time. Remember MAINLY the fast twitch fibers respond for size increase. Every exercise of every set of every muscle needs to explode quickly and consistantly. Once the muscle is in a contracted state it must stay in a contracted state for the duration of the reps no matter what muscle we are working.

Comment

Im a little confgused by ur suggestion of not letting amuscle become un-contracted once it becomes contracted in the set. R u saying there should be no intense stretch for say wide grip chins.
            Turn the other cheek and I'll break your fucking chin.

Comment

Originally posted by chasebny View Post
              Im a little confgused by ur suggestion of not letting amuscle become un-contracted once it becomes contracted in the set. R u saying there should be no intense stretch for say wide grip chins.

Explain the stretch. In between reps at the top? I think most will agree very few of us are truly strong enough to be able to execute a full proper explosive rep doing wide grip chins let alone reps up to 15, due to our bodyweight. I suggest doing wide grip pulldowns to the clavicle executing them in the same explosive continuous rep style as you would see as you watched an olympic rowing team.

The stretch should be done afterwards. As I've stated earlier, each set which potentialy SHORTENS the muscle must be followed up with an elongation protocol of your choice. You should be stretching from your insertion at the bottom near your waist to the top near your armpit and concentrate on holding it to cause elongation over a period of time.

Comment

ur saying that a muscle most be contracted through out a set correct? Well on any exercise asre u saying no to get a deep stretch and contraction on each rep?
                Turn the other cheek and I'll break your fucking chin.

Comment

while I don't think peak contraction DURING an exercise is very beneficial, I do think that after emphasis the stretch on a given exercise that ending with a peak contraction/stretching protocol like Tipsta recommended above is a good idea

I personally end my bodyparts with a flushing set with stretch emphasis and then I do a PNF stretching cycle which alternates periods of extreme facilitated stretching with extreme muscular contraction

a 2 min. PNF cycle is more painful than most sets you could do (aside from maybe high rep squats)
                  MorphogenNutrition.com
                  Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

Originally posted by chasebny View Post
                    ur saying that a muscle most be contracted through out a set correct? Well on any exercise asre u saying no to get a deep stretch and contraction on each rep?
                    Thats what I'm saying. Where is the benefit to the fast twitch fiber your way?

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                      while I don't think peak contraction DURING an exercise is very beneficial, I do think that after emphasis the stretch on a given exercise that ending with a peak contraction/stretching protocol like Tipsta recommended above is a good idea

I personally end my bodyparts with a flushing set with stretch emphasis and then I do a PNF stretching cycle which alternates periods of extreme facilitated stretching with extreme muscular contraction

a 2 min. PNF cycle is more painful than most sets you could do (aside from maybe high rep squats)

I couldnt agree more except for the calves. Because of the fiber makeup they respond to peak contactive work where NO other muscle will, as its the ONLY muscle designated to hold a peak contracted state for very long periods of time.

Ask any competitor how sore their calves are after a show. I bet more sore than any workout they endured through their contest prep. Thats because for the first time they just held that contracted state for periods of time during the posing rounds. Think about a charlie horse you get in the middle of the night. Because of the intense contraction that your body caused in your calf you were probably sore for days. More sore than any rep type workout I bet.

Comment

Great thread! TIPSTA you have PM.
                        Cancer SURVIVOR

"Falling isn't FAILURE, FAILURE is not getting back up"

Comment

thats an interesting point regarding the calves

I still think the stretch position is more important but now that I think about it I do tend to hold the contraction a little more than with most other bodyparts
                          MorphogenNutrition.com
                          Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                            thats an interesting point regarding the calves

I still think the stretch position is more important but now that I think about it I do tend to hold the contraction a little more than with most other bodyparts

I've been hearing from this kid at the gym that I'm genetically gifted in the calves since his look like a flamingos. He claims he does everything possible. After the first 2 sets I took him through he had to stop and couldnt train because his calves kept cramping up like a competitor at a show. He no longer questions my calf advice after crying like a girl. His response to be exact was "Dude, thats insane"

Comment

How many times per week do you work calves?
                              Cancer SURVIVOR

"Falling isn't FAILURE, FAILURE is not getting back up"

Comment

Originally posted by Deerod021 View Post
                                How many times per week do you work calves?

Once

Comment

Working...
                                X