Legs / High Volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legs / High Volume?

I have been training quads very heavy since I started gettin back into legs months ago. I realized the bs was over and once I started there is no turning back. I train them light and heavy for twice a week. On heavy days I do Leg presses with up to 810lbs for about 4-5 reps and 5 sets. On light days I do about 580 for 8-12 reps. My question is should I be training them with like 20-30 reps ? My quads have grown about 4 inches in 3 months just pounding it out this way but I was woundering peoples opinions on this? I cant do squats because I get some cystic acne on my back of my neck and that dosent get to pretty when agravated. I finish the workout with extensions , leg curls , and calf raises.
    myspace.com/Gameover8470

Lots of folks do high rep set like 50 reps to flood blood into the muscles for an insane pump. You should be squatting. Cystic acne is no excuse (not flaming here). If you need, put one of those padded collars to reduce discomfort, but you gotta squat bro. If you did only one compound leg movement, let it be squatting over leg press always.

NYC BIG MIKE
    Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

I know it sounds sissy bro But when I do squats with an active cyst they swell up to the size of marbles and I have to go to the ER and Get a cortizone shot. That and no insurance makes it difficult you know what I mean? But yeah I know squats are the #1 mass builder.. Do you think judges would place some lower if they had acne scars on the back?
      myspace.com/Gameover8470

Comment

Originally posted by NYC BIG MIKE
        Lots of folks do high rep set like 50 reps to flood blood into the muscles for an insane pump. You should be squatting. Cystic acne is no excuse (not flaming here). If you need, put one of those padded collars to reduce discomfort, but you gotta squat bro. If you did only one compound leg movement, let it be squatting over leg press always.

NYC BIG MIKE
        You're wrong! Squatting isn't the best exercise on earth. I haven't squatted in about 4 years after hurting my lower back pretty good doing deads. Anyway I've been sticking to hack squats4 sets of 10
        leg presses I go up to 30 reps per set I start with 2 plates per side and work my way up to 8 per side for 30. So you're talking about 6 or 7 sets of 30 just for quads! Try my workout and you'll be gasping for air.
        next is leg extensions3-4 sets 20 reps
        lunges 3-4 sets w/ dumbells
        Stiff leg deads sometimes db's sometimes olympic bar.
        Seated leg curl 3-4 sets
        lying leg curls 3-4 sets
        standing calfs 10 sets
        donkey calfs 5 sets
        Good luck walking the next day!

Comment

Right, squats are not the king of all exercise's its about what works for you

If you are growing the way you have been training, DONT FIX WHAT AINT BROKE!

Comment

Originally posted by jerzey
            Right, squats are not the king of all exercise's its about what works for you

If you are growing the way you have been training, DONT FIX WHAT AINT BROKE!
            thank you!! I'm so sick of hearing about squats. If you can do em' fine,but if you can't What? Just don't do legs (WRONG)

Comment

Originally posted by adamthetrain
              thank you!! I'm so sick of hearing about squats. If you can do em' fine,but if you can't What? Just don't do legs (WRONG)
              i quit any and all squats, and guess what my quads got stronger and bigger....
              squats kill my kness for days on end no matter what i do or how i do them

Comment

Originally posted by jerzey
                i quit any and all squats, and guess what my quads got stronger and bigger....
                squats kill my kness for days on end no matter what i do or how i do them
                My point exactly! If you can't do squats are you looked down upon?

Comment

You're wrong! Squatting isn't the best exercise on earth. I haven't squatted in about 4 years after hurting my lower back pretty good doing deads. Anyway I've been sticking to hack squats4 sets of 10
                  leg presses I go up to 30 reps per set I start with 2 plates per side and work my way up to 8 per side for 30. So you're talking about 6 or 7 sets of 30 just for quads! Try my workout and you'll be gasping for air.
                  next is leg extensions3-4 sets 20 reps
                  lunges 3-4 sets w/ dumbells
                  Stiff leg deads sometimes db's sometimes olympic bar.
                  Seated leg curl 3-4 sets
                  lying leg curls 3-4 sets
                  standing calfs 10 sets
                  donkey calfs 5 sets
                  Good luck walking the next day!
                  So that's the warmup, what about the hard part?

NYC BIG MIKE

Comment

So that's the warmup, what about the hard part?

NYC BIG MIKE
                    Whatever TOUGH GUY!

Comment

Whatever TOUGH GUY!
                      LOL. Where did I say it was the best exercise on earth? If your back hurts, then don't squat, that's a no brainer. He indicated that he didn't squat due to acne. Apples and oranges. The question wasn't about you, and it still isn't. Next.

NYC BIG MIKE

Comment

LOL. Where did I say it was the best exercise on earth? If your back hurts, then don't squat, that's a no brainer. He indicated that he didn't squat due to acne. Apples and oranges. The question wasn't about you, and it still isn't. Next.

NYC BIG MIKE
                        Yeah, and I give the guy a good workout for legs and you have to be a smart ass! Just stick to your tough guy squats and don't bother with us underachieving lifters.

Comment

Originally posted by Danok
                          no offense bro's...but gotta agree with Big Mike on this...squats are king to leg development..

but if your injured - then definitly find a way to work the legs without squats...not a flame on anyone..peace...
                          Yep, anytime I get away from squats, both front and back, my leg size suffers, and I don't care what else I'm doing, without squats being a priority, size dwindles. I do not do heavy squats every leg day, but on the days I don't go with heavy squats I'll do front squats.
                          Du wirst um Gnade flehen!

Comment

Yeah, and I give the guy a good workout for legs and you have to be a smart ass! Just stick to your tough guy squats and don't bother with us underachieving lifters.

You're first mistake was starting your reply to my post with "you're wrong!", as if I committed a moral sin. In essence, I was far from wrong, I was actually right. You jumped the gun. Get over it. No one called you an underachiever but yourself. Must be a self-esteem thing I suppose. Bro, let it go, it's all good as far as I'm concerned. This is a thread to help someone, no need to piss all over it. Good luck.

NYC BIG MIKE

Comment

I said High volume legs not high volume bashing guys!!
                              myspace.com/Gameover8470

Comment

Working...
                              X