What are some good core movements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good core movements?

My wife took Pilate's at school for some credit and I attended one class. It is more difficult than it looks.

Today I saw a guy doing leg lifts and crunches, My gut is so big those are uncomfortable right now.

But he was also laying on his front holding himself up with his elboe's. And on the side. (I guess it's called a side bridge).
    People say: "Never say Never".

Try Doing your workout with dumbbells one side at a time!
    i.e. dumbbell bench press, lay on the bench pick up one dumbbell with your right hand and press, then switch to the left. You can do this with just about every body part and it forces you to keep your core tight to balance your body. Don't try this with your normal weights the first time because it takes some getting used to!

Comment

Bench Press
      Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

I hate the use of the word "core"

I have noticed that Metrosexuals in gyms, using those god damn swiss balls that are always in the way, rolling around unattended near the power racks, are always talking about their "cores" and they work their "cores" really hard.

Then they go curl in the squat racks.

Where for the first time, was the use of that evil word first associated with exercise?

Cosmo?
        Richard Simmons?
        Jane Fonda?
        Men's health?
        My Competition Prep Journal

Muscular Development Forum Rules

Comment

bro, if you are looking to get a tighter stomach, bust your balls doing cardio first before you look into excercises to make your abs stronger. theres no point strengthening your abs and 'core' if theres a lot of fat over the top.

Comment

Plank holds, back extensions, hanging leg lifts, hanging wipers, dead lifts, squats. Just to start!

Riff
            Riff

Doing it one pound at a time!!!!

Comment

Sex
              Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

Comment

Try wheel outs with an old fashioned ab wheel, NOT the fake new ones that anyone can do. When you can do 50 off knees attempt to do full body wheel outs where just toes and wheel are touching ground.

By far the single best exercise for transverse abs (core) and has been used for many many decades.

Give it a go, you'll get great results if you stick with it.

Comment

Do squats with a bar over your head. The weight will have to be cut alot from what you do presses and squats with but you'll fell this all over. Get the bar and press it overhead, just like doing a standing press. Then just short of lockout keep it there and do any many squats as you can, make sure your balance is good.

Comment

You want more core strength moves? Take more Pilates classes!

Your big gut gets in the way? More cardio, as someone mentioned. And FYI, cardio will be easier once you know how to align your shoulders/ pelvis/ knees.

IMO all weightlifting is easier once you know how to keep your body in line, & lock certain parts out so you can focus on specific muscle groups.

Basic Pilates priciples are
                    1. Perfect form is better than extreme range of motion (BBs read -- perfect form with less weight is better/ more effective than high reps/ high weight and poor form)

2. Balance is key -- if you can do it above, you can do it below.
                    If you can do it front, you can do it back.
                    If you can do it left, you can do it right as well.
                    (This one is based on the idea that our shoulders and hips are the same ball n socket joint, and work your abs work your lower back, etc.. BBs take -- symmetry....)

Comment

Originally posted by legbreaker View Post
                      Try wheel outs with an old fashioned ab wheel, NOT the fake new ones that anyone can do. When you can do 50 off knees attempt to do full body wheel outs where just toes and wheel are touching ground.

By far the single best exercise for transverse abs (core) and has been used for many many decades.

Give it a go, you'll get great results if you stick with it.
                      Best advice here.

Shit, I'm going to put this into rotation in my training cycle.

Legbreaker is right that you need an old-fashioned model.

I still have the wheel my Dad had from when he was locked up and it's better than any newer model I have ever tried.

Addison K.

Comment

I suggest 20 rep squats.

Comment

Working...
                        X