No announcement yet.

"It works for me"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, try not to sound so defensive.
    Originally posted by Nik133

This is bodyBUILDING, not getting a bag of shit into condition building.

Comment

• Originally posted by moosehead View Post
      You're a moron. Ever heard of tu-quoque fallacy? Read up on it and avoid looking like a moron in the future.

Also Known as: "You Too Fallacy" Description of Ad Hominem Tu Quoque

This fallacy is committed when it is concluded that a person's claim is false because 1) it is inconsistent with something else a person has said or 2) what a person says is inconsistent with her actions. This type of "argument" has the following form:
      1. Person A makes claim X.
      2. Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
      3. Therefore X is false.

The fact that a person makes inconsistent claims does not make any particular claim he makes false (although of any pair of inconsistent claims only one can be true - but both can be false). Also, the fact that a person's claims are not consistent with his actions might indicate that the person is a hypocrite but this does not prove his claims are false. Examples of Ad Hominem Tu Quoque

1. Bill: "Smoking is very unhealthy and leads to all sorts of problems. So take my advice and never start."
        Jill: "Well, I certainly don't want to get cancer."
        Bill: "I'm going to get a smoke. Want to join me Dave?"
        Jill: "Well, I guess smoking can't be that bad. After all, Bill smokes."
      2. Jill: "I think the gun control bill shouldn't be supported because it won't be effective and will waste money."
        Bill: "Well, just last month you supported the bill. So I guess you're wrong now."
      3. Peter: "Based on the arguments I have presented, it is evident that it is morally wrong to use animals for food or clothing."
        Bill: "But you are wearing a leather jacket and you have a roast beef sandwich in your hand! How can you say that using animals for food and clothing is wrong!"
      Muscular Development Online Editor
      FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Comment

• Please explain to my pea brain how this applies.
        FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron Harris View Post
          Please explain to my pea brain how this applies.
          Basically, it's fallacious to say the kid's statements are false because of any of his personal history or traits. For example, if I say IIFYM is the best but don't actually apply it correctly to myself or follow it through to personal success, that doesn't mean IIFYM doesn't work.

Comment

• Originally posted by HangingLegRaise View Post
            Basically, it's fallacious to say the kid's statements are false because of any of his personal history or traits. For example, if I say IIFYM is the best but don't actually apply it correctly to myself or follow it through to personal success, that doesn't mean IIFYM doesn't work.
            Sounds like we are back to the argument over whether coaches in bb need to 'look the part.' I do not think they do. But they do need to have a proven track record of obtaining results for others. If this kid has indeed directly helped many people achieve their physique goals, then I take back my initial comments about him as it's true, his age and appearance should not matter. Has he actually helped people obtain results with his scientific principles that are demonstrably superior to what any newbie starting out would see? Has he helped experienced trainers break through a plateau in development and/or performance?

Comment

• I doubt he has, this kid's laughable to me. I just thought I'd help explaining what that other guy was on about.

Comment

• Originally posted by HangingLegRaise View Post
                I doubt he has, this kid's laughable to me. I just thought I'd help explaining what that other guy was on about.
                Other guy is also clearly young and likes to 'throw his intellectual weight around.' I was the same way many years ago, sadly.

Comment

Other guy is also clearly young and likes to 'throw his intellectual weight around.' I was the same way many years ago, sadly.
                  He thinks he's hardcore and needs to act like a tough guy on the interwebz. Ignore him.

Comment

• when we open up our minds, that's when we learn and the opportunities come

Comment

• Originally posted by Sexybeast777 View Post
                      when we open up our minds, that's when we learn and the opportunities come
                      I got that same fortune cookie a week ago.

Comment

• ^Lmfao!!!!! Actually that came from my mind, lol

Comment

• haha just saw this on BB.com

Comment

I got that same fortune cookie a week ago.
                            HAHAHAHAHAH!
                            "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Comment

• I fucking hate all of you.

The kid looks like Andy Dick with downs syndrome after a failed "bulk" season. Just more evidence of how we accept mediocrity as excellence now. Experience > textbooks.

Comment

There are lots of people like that, the best part is that when they read studies and draw crazy conclusions from them, ignoring all the problems with drawing those conclusions from such a study. They don't understand that reading research articles correctly is a very difficult skill (I do this as a part of my living and I'm still not as good at it as I'd like to be) and think because they can barely make it through the abstract that they are geniuses. They were probably in a gifted class in high school and think they're hot shit because mommy thinks they're smart.

I think the important thing(s) to recognize is how big individual differences are in just about everything, how new exercise physiology and nutrition are as sciences, and that you really can't go from a study on generalities (means, etc.) and bring it back to the level of an individual. I used to be the same way when I was younger too, and I'm still young, but I've finally recognized the value of figuring out what works for you and just going from there. You can't tell people something's not working for them (because some book or article said it might not be able to) when it clearly is. That's not too smart.

Comment

Working...
                                X