Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is glutamine an effective bodybuilding ergogenic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive never figured out if it works. Then again I only do 10-15 grams a day in my shakes at the most. I take it anyway, but maybe I need to take higher dose. Id rather spend my money on pre-workout supplements or more food though. Glutamine also fucks with my stomach if I take too much.
    Journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=50558
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A4lWT65ng

Comment

I use 10mg 3x day. In the morning, post-workout, @ bedtime. I train extremely hvy with short breaks. I also have a very stressful job with 12 hr shifts in ICU/ER.
      So I'm doing it to cover my bases, I'm definitly in the "Gray Zone" on this, but its cheap.
      What have you done today to insure your success tomorrow?!

Comment

Originally posted by natron View Post
        Blind faith my son.
        Hi Natron, you sure you're not confusing glutamine with glutamic acid? Glutamic acid, an amino as well, will raise your blood glucose.
        Old weight: 274 lbs (Dec 27th '07)
        Current weight: 198 lbs (August 25 '09)

Comment

Originally posted by LotusMan View Post
          Hi Natron, you sure you're not confusing glutamine with glutamic acid? Glutamic acid, an amino as well, will raise your blood glucose.
          No, I'm not an idiot. I'm an R.N.C.P. by trade, not a bro-scientist.
          ANABOLIC SOCIETY.NET IS NOW LIVE!

Comment

Originally posted by shockwayve3000 View Post
            dextrose is a sugar, not an amino acid..or at least it is not listed on an amino acid chart...not that i'm an expert on either....

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/561aminostructure.html

and when i asked if you took BCAAs, you said no...i take whey isolate?

more info on glutamine

GLUTAMINE
            Non-Essential - Proteogenic - Glycogenic
            Un-charged, Hydrophilic - Amidic Main Functions:
            Precursor to the neurotransmitter GABA. This is a vital function, as GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that produces serenity and relaxation.
            Important glycogenic amino acid, meaning that it is essential for helping to maintain normal and steady blood sugar levels.
            Involved with muscle strength and indurance.
            Essential to gastrointestinal function; provides energy to the small intestines. The intestines are the only organ in the body that uses Glutamine as its primary source of energy.
            Glutamine has the highest blood concentration of all the amino acids.
            Precursor to the neurotransmitter amino acid Glutamate (Glutamic Acid).
            Involved in DNA synthesis.
            Glutamine Deficiency Seen In:
            Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
            Alcoholism
            Anxiety and Panic Disorders
            Glutamine Excess Seen In:
            Use of some anti-convulsant medications.

k....done with the debate....
            Yes dextrose is a sugar, glutamine is an amino acid. What you are missing is via glucogenesis, glutamine is converted into a sugar.

I don't take BCAA's, I get enough amino acids from whey isolate. Efficiency and cost effectiveness are where it's at.
            ANABOLIC SOCIETY.NET IS NOW LIVE!

Comment

No, I'm not an idiot. I'm an R.N.C.P. by trade, not a bro-scientist.
              Never said you were, bro!
              Old weight: 274 lbs (Dec 27th '07)
              Current weight: 198 lbs (August 25 '09)

Comment

How can you guys take L-Glutamine post-workout (shake). Don't you need Glutamine Peptides in order to mix it in?

What if you don't take peptides, then how would you take regular L-Glutamine regularly, before breakfast, a lunch? and before sleep after a casein drink or so?

Thnx

Comment

Originally posted by jj2006 View Post
                  How can you guys take L-Glutamine post-workout (shake). Don't you need Glutamine Peptides in order to mix it in?

What if you don't take peptides, then how would you take regular L-Glutamine regularly, before breakfast, a lunch? and before sleep after a casein drink or so?

Thnx
                  If you read the above posts,you'll find your answers as quite a few have stated what they do,like first thing in morning,pwo,before bed etc.

Comment

I know it's an amino acid, it's actions in the body are that of a sugar, much like dextrose. Science my friend, not "brotelligence".

EXACTLY as its the first amino acid the body will metabolize when in need of sugars so having it present in your system during this period is a NO BRAINER!!!!!

For those who argue very little get into my system......I dont care if only 1/10 of 1% gets in...Something is ALWAYS better than nothing...
                    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
                    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Comment

Yes dextrose is a sugar, glutamine is an amino acid. What you are missing is via glucogenesis, glutamine is converted into a sugar.

I don't take BCAA's, I get enough amino acids from whey isolate. Efficiency and cost effectiveness are where it's at.
                      Only when the pancreas hasnt release insulin for in excess of 4 to 6 plus hours and only if the blood sugar levels have drawn on the liver causing the pancreas to secrete glucagon.

The pancreas releases either one of the two according to conditions. Once carbs are eaten, in minutes, blood sugars begin to rise and for the next several hours the pancreas will be secreting insulin as it continues to bring blood sugars to baseline of about 90 or so.

After several hours of no signalling to the pancreas for insulin its obvious carb intake has deminished and only when the liver must start making glycogen from amino acids, because it has replenished the blood stream due to usage... It will use GLUTAMINE first. It is only then the pancreas starts production of glucagon.

Those are the signalling factors. Pretty simple actually but eludes many...

Thats why a glucometer is such an invaluable tool. Its like a toy too...lol Makes things so much more intersting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsta View Post
                        Only when the pancreas hasnt release insulin for in excess of 4 to 6 plus hours and only if the blood sugar levels have drawn on the liver causing the pancreas to secrete glucagon.

The pancreas releases either one of the two according to conditions. Once carbs are eaten, in minutes, blood sugars begin to rise and for the next several hours the pancreas will be secreting insulin as it continues to bring blood sugars to baseline of about 90 or so.

After several hours of no signalling to the pancreas for insulin its obvious carb intake has deminished and only when the liver must start making glycogen from amino acids, because it has replenished the blood stream due to usage... It will use GLUTAMINE first. It is only then the pancreas starts production of glucagon.

Those are the signalling factors. Pretty simple actually but eludes many...

Thats why a glucometer is such an invaluable tool. Its like a toy too...lol Makes things so much more intersting.

Like this.......
                        Attached Files

Comment

38? thats not good, someone better get some carbs!
                          A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra View Post
                            38? thats not good, someone better get some carbs!
                            The things I do for you guys!!!

And I'm the bad guy!....lol

Comment

Id like to conclude that when used properly this can be one of your best tools against muscle loss.....However if you glycogen load becomes so low that your body begins to catabolize amino acids to produce glycogen , specifically from the GLUTAMINE from within the muscle, then your diet is anorexic by nature and you need to take up badmitten as thats the sport that will be much more effective from your chosen diet.

Even in contest mode the cardio RESPIRATORY work should take care of most fat loss and your glycogen load should be kept at about 70 to 80% which would equate to NEVER needing to make glycogen from proteins.

Comment

I would not waste my money on glutamine, I've done it before and there are absolutley no effect what so ever on my body.
                                Maybe I was a little bit more bloated when I used during the depleat and carb loading phase.
                                www.sethronland.nu My Website with blog, movies and pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X