18 and just joined!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 and just joined!

im 18 and i just joined the marines. I dont go off for about 2 months so i was wondering what a good routine would be (any weightlifting running or w/e) im in good shape, can run well, and do a lot of push ups and curl ups. weights wise what is a good routine maybe to build some strength and endurance in my muscles. thanks for all of the help

another thing is i am on creatine, protien, multi vitamin, fish oil, etc...how should i prepare my body for the 3 months boot camp as i obviously cant bring those things with me. Should i start working out about the last few weeks without these things? and just straight food post workout maybe?
    whats a good post workout meal for right after the weights?
    thanks

Comment

Number 1 Congratulations and thank you for joining. I am Army, went through Basic at 32 and still going at 43.

I compete so my workout is differant but I often tell guys "You want to do better at pushups and situps? Do pushups and situps, get better at running, RUN. They will take care of any endurance problems you might have.

Just use your supplements untill they are gone or you leave, none of that stuff needs to be tapered off or anything, the only thing I see is I feel less muscle soreness when on creatine but other than that you will be fine....especially since you are just 18!

Comment

Everything should fall into place during boot camp... after 13 weeks, everyone basically looks the same and performs well. But if you want to rise to the top, I'd suggest identifying your weaknesses now... and build on those.

Are you a good runner? Since your tested distance for running is going to be 3 miles, then start conditioning yourself for up to 5 or 6. Also, work on your stride and build up your endurance with sprints.

Are you good with pull ups? If not, start training for them. Additionally, now is the time to practice climbing ropes if your unsure how to do it well... your going to be doing a lot of obstacle stuff, so practice climbing fences and get good at the monkey bars

Honestly, boot camp is all heart - you got to go at motivated to become a Marine with a team-orientated mindset. Since you have passed your physical, you'll do well - just "stay motivated."

Don't forget to get e-mail addys from the guys you go to boot camp with - you'll make some good friends. And get your contact info prior to graduation - 'cause when it's over, everyone disappears quick!
        Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

good luck bro!!! i just came back from boot camp wiht the usmc!!! make sure u stay alive in boot camp bro!!! and watch ur back.

Comment

thanks guys, im lookin forward to it, its going to be tough though.
            SO do you think its best to do more bodyweight exercises like dips, handstand pushups, different kinds of pushups, pull ups and crunches ect plus running to get me ready instead of weightlifting? and ill just finish off my supplies i guess that should take me up to a few weeks before i leave.
            thanks for all of the help

Comment

oorah brother!

start doing crossfit and you will never look back

www.crossfit.com
              Myth's training blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Myth View Post
                oorah brother!

start doing crossfit and you will never look back

www.crossfit.com

thanks a lot ill check it out

how do i do it i didnt see a actualy routine or anything

Comment

Originally posted by josh19 View Post
                  thanks a lot ill check it out

how do i do it i didnt see a actualy routine or anything
                  that site posts random workouts under the WOD (workout of the day)

you can either create your own program, or simply follow the WODs

since you only have a couple months to prep, i would suggest following the WODs religiously
                  Myth's training blog:

Comment

crossfit crossfit crossfit. crossfit is amazing for getting ready for the military. My Pararescue PAST (physical ability stamina test) was shit the first time I took it. After training with crossfit for 2 months I smashed it. No sense pushing a ton of weight around before you go since your not going to be doing it there. Read "The Naked Warrior" and do crossfit/crossfitendurance and you will be a whole new person.
                    Envy is ignorance, Imitation is suicide.
                    -RWE

Comment

ok thanks guys ill go by the workouts on crossfit. also, what is "the naked warrior" Some book or somthing?

Comment

crossfit is still kind of confusing. do i jsut do what it says in the beggening on the post, before the picture? and is the article after the picture to help you understand it? plus i dont have a a lot of the equipment it need. where are the crossfit gyms in Illinois is ther anyway i can find that out?
                        thanks sorry for all of the questions
                        i also tried the 20 minute workout i saw
                        15 pull ups
                        30 pushups
                        45 bodyweight squats
                        repeat all of it in a cycle for 20 minutes i almost died lol

Comment

Originally posted by josh19 View Post
                          crossfit is still kind of confusing. do i jsut do what it says in the beggening on the post, before the picture? and is the article after the picture to help you understand it? plus i dont have a a lot of the equipment it need. where are the crossfit gyms in Illinois is ther anyway i can find that out?
                          thanks sorry for all of the questions
                          i also tried the 20 minute workout i saw
                          15 pull ups
                          30 pushups
                          45 bodyweight squats
                          repeat all of it in a cycle for 20 minutes i almost died lol
                          all of the information is on the site. read the FAQ's and the forums as well. its really not rocket science. it might be alot at first but actually look at it and it makes sense. the naked warrior is a book. hence why i said read it. it will help you with what you need to do.
                          Envy is ignorance, Imitation is suicide.
                          -RWE

Comment

I agree crossfit is the way to go...

<- Army Light Infantryman
                            Death is a four man fire team stacked outside your door at 0300.

Comment

ull have the most fun if u go in the infantry !!! ull get to take out all ur anger at the war zone!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X