Hi!! Some help here please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi!! Some help here please!

Hi!! im a disable veteran with problems on my knees. I can't run like i use to in the service, what can i do to loose weight with that problem? I gained like 50 lbs. since I left the service, can someone help me?
    "Nobody is better than yourself, believe it and you will succes"

#1. Reduce the total calories you eat a day.
    #2. How do you eat now?
    #3. Take it slow, no rush or fad diets needed. A change in eating habits is always the best wat to lose weight.

Comment

Yeah Im doing that right now!! I was doing the no carb diet for a while and It worked but as soon I tried to eat normally again I gained the weight back!! but now im watching my carbs and eating more healthier!! but should i try to jog a little bit for the cardio?

Comment

Originally posted by chinoboricua View Post
        Yeah Im doing that right now!! I was doing the no carb diet for a while and It worked but as soon I tried to eat normally again I gained the weight back!! but now im watching my carbs and eating more healthier!! but should i try to jog a little bit for the cardio?
        No carbs works well but you have to remember that you will lose 5 to 10lbs of water and that will come back once you are off, and that is a good thing. So when doing no carbs I always subtract 10lbs from the total weight loss, for example when I lost 30lbs last year I knew it was really a net 20lbs.

I also agree with you that no carbs is hard because once you get off it your body is carb crazy so it is easy to eat your way back quick.

Cardio for bad knees.

Swimming
        Olyptical

Curcut training with weights...15-30 seconds reat between sets, keep the heart rate at 120 or more the entire workout ( I keep mine around 130 when I do it).

No running!

Comment

Ok!! so u think the calorie counter diet is the best thing to do? Other thing, i dont have a pool close to me or a gym(to use the cardio machine) I worke out in my house with the bow-flex!! maybe i go to a gym with my friends twice a week. What do u think about walking? and how I can keep track of my heart rate? Im using ARSON like a fat burner, is it ok or good for me?

Comment

Just some suggestions....

Hey there Chino,

I think that you should lay off the fat burners for a bit and get your eating habits (aka diet, I don't like to use that term because it brings to mind the torture of dieting) in line first. Your body is going through a bunch of changes and you aren't sticking to them long enough to enjoy the fat/weight loss. I know that it sucks sticking to a change in your "diet"....I am going through that myself right now.....But you have to make sure that your weight loss is something that is going to stick around, not just be a quick fix. Because if it's something that happens quickly, you stand a good chance of gaining it back almost immediately, with some extra baggage added.

As far as the cardio...walking will be good. It's low impact and almost anyone can do it. You just have to start out slow and steady. Don't do too much too soon. You will end up being unhappy about it and your motivation will drop for that.
            Have fun with it. Take along some friends, your spouse/girlfriend, your dog, etc. Or do what I do....I meet my walking/jogging buddies at our local park. It is about 2 miles from my house and lets me get a decent warm-up before I get there. Then we do a stretching workout before heading off with our respective speed groups. I'm in the "slow" walking group. I'm doing it for fat burning, not that much for my cardio. (I jog on the T-mill at the gym) It gives me a variety for my workouts. (I hate feeling like a gerbil on the T-mill)
            Also, you can find a pool somewhere nearby, and maybe walk to it instead of driving. It'll warm-up your muscles and your heart/cardio areas before you even get into the pool. Then maybe take the bus home.
            Your workouts are only limited by your mind. Have fun with your workouts.

I hope that my suggestions will help you (and anyone else) on your path to your goals. Good Luck, Brother.

Respectfully,
            Manny Fuentes, Jr. (aka Manny FU2)

P.S. As far as your heart rate.....get a heart rate monitor watch from Wal-Mart, or any other sporting goods store. Or just buy a heart rate monitor (with chest strap) from Polar, etc. That way you can just wear the strap on various types of cardio machines and the signal will still work with it.
            I have a watch from Wal-Mart. It's a MIO brand. It tells time, has a stop watch, a count-down timer, as well as Heart Rate monitor. Relatively inexpenssive too !
            Good Luck !

Comment

Blew my knees in the Army as well. I'm able to walk on a treadmill on an incline, or ride the stationary bike. Cardio is a challange with shot knees, but not impossible. Listen to your body, and don't overdo it. The biggest factor for leaning down is diet. Nail that, take care of your body, and the fat will come off. Good luck.

Comment

Hey Chino. Hey brother the biggest thing you need to do is watch your diet. Rule of thumb is [eat more that you burn=gain weight, burn more than you eat=lose weight.] if you can get ahold of a personal trainer or somebody that can calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate that would help out drastically. But if your knees are bad as well then you need to rely on cardio machines that are easy on the joints. My knees are also shittay so I like the cardio bikes alot and the elliptical machines. They are great machines with minimal impact on the joints. Also if your body reacts negatively with the carb intake you more than likely should eat less carbs and a little more protein to make up for it. Also watch the dietary fat intake for reasons that those grams pack a serious punch. Anyway just a little help for ya. Good luck. Anymore questions just ask.

Comment

I kinda went through something this when I rolled my ankle 2 years ago. Walking will do great, just be careful not to put too much stress on your knee. If it statrs to hurt take it easy. Maybe even work your way up to a jog.

Comment

Went through a somewhat similar thing, blew out my knee and had to get reconstructive surgery. After proper physical therapy I started out on an eliptical workin my way up to bein able to do it for half an hour without pain then walking/jogging on a treadmill until I could do that without pain after about 0 months I was running fullspeed again, you just gotta work your way into it, in the mean time just hit the weights with some more intensity watch your diet and lay off the fat burners, do it right dont take short cuts until its a necessity You'll be just fine man
                    Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

Comment

I totally agree with the whole swimming idea! Try treading water for a little bit, swim some laps and they try treading water again. Just repeat until you get tired. Swimming is always a good cardio workout for those with bad joints!

Comment

Originally posted by bartjsn1 View Post
                        I totally agree with the whole swimming idea! Try treading water for a little bit, swim some laps and they try treading water again. Just repeat until you get tired. Swimming is always a good cardio workout for those with bad joints!
                        That too, I always for get that one cause it is seasonal.

Comment

oK!!! thank you gys a lot!! Im considering buying a treadmil, so like that I dont have to be going to the gym back and foward! how about weights? would that help to burn fat too? aka loose weight?

Comment

Originally posted by chinoboricua View Post
                            oK!!! thank you gys a lot!! Im considering buying a treadmil, so like that I dont have to be going to the gym back and foward! how about weights? would that help to burn fat too? aka loose weight?
                            Weights will definitely help burn fat as well, especially if done with little rest in between. Both should be done for optimal fat loss.
                            AAEFX Board Representative.
                            P/RR/S Athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by TaPo31 View Post
                              Weights will definitely help burn fat as well, especially if done with little rest in between. Both should be done for optimal fat loss.
                              Cool!!! I have the bowflex at home and Im working out almost every day! Is the bowflex a good source for what I want? Other thing I am using Xenadrine with a very ecstricted diet. Oatmeal in the mornings, salads for luch and dinner (w/chicken of course). Should I change something else? this is my 2nd week onthe pils and diet and I havent senn any changes on my weight or body!!

Comment

Working...
                              X